Player Discussion: Patrik Laine - MOD WARNING IN OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Would be awesome if Laine scored his 50th goal against the Leafs. Needs seven in six games which seems like an easy feat for Laine now :naughty:

I thought there is more than six games left, ten maybe

edit: never mind you meant six games till leafs

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
*tired, and trying to follow situation in the rocket race*

*yawn... 0G for Patty... yawn...*

*turns autopilot on and goes to cryochamper... falls in sleep*

*autopilot alarms to wake up... yawn... 2G for Patty and the win for Jets... yawn*

*New coordinates: 14+4=18 in 9... yawn*

:darth: "Come to me my son! Together we can rule the Galaxiiiiiiiiii-yay!"

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
10 games, 7 goals. Next up will be LA, ANA, BOS and NSH. All very hard teams to score against. Two more Blackhawk games, Ottawa game and Montreal game. Those should be good.

I went to sleep while watching the final period of DET vs COL. After it ended my Viaplay had switched to Jets feed when it started. I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of the announcer announcing Laine goal. That's a nice way to get your sleep interrupted.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Had one bad turnover this game but a beast otherwise. The good thing is that that was the first bad turnover in the d zone I have seen from him in the last few games. Earlier in the season he'd have 2 or 3 of those per game.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Had one bad turnover this game but a beast otherwise. The good thing is that that was the first bad turnover in the d zone I have seen from him in the last few games. Earlier in the season he'd have 2 or 3 of those per game.
Ah so that turnover is what some people seems focused on...

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

No, he didn't. Earlier in the season he (or his line, you cannot attack by yourself) was quite meh offensively, but he didn't give "2 or 3 bad turnovers in the d-zone per game". Maybe did have 2 bad turnovers on d-zone on his worst game, not on average. Also he had (and the line had) problems to clear the zone, but not "2 or 3 bad turnovers per game" bad.

That was one reason why he got so low amount of goals against. ELL was defensively sound, offensively dead. Yet they managed to be exactly score neutral (22 goals for, 22 goals against).

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Ah so that turnover is what some people seems focused on...

That turnover certainly sucked, but fortunately Laine was able to more than compensate it. Not the easiest position to tame bouncing puck when there are two Dallas players up close though.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
No, he didn't. Earlier in the season he (or his line, you cannot attack by yourself) was quite meh offensively, but he didn't give "2 or 3 bad turnovers in the d-zone per game". Maybe did have 2 bad turnovers on d-zone on his worst game, not on average. Also he had (and the line had) problems to clear the zone, but not "2 or 3 bad turnovers per game" bad.

That was one reason why he got so low amount of goals against. ELL was defensively sound, offensively dead. Yet they managed to be exactly score neutral (22 goals for, 22 goals against).

Earlier in the season it was not uncommon for Laine to have two or three bad turnovers on the same shift, never mind the same game. He's much better now, but still not all the way there.

Reactions: csk

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Earlier in the season it was not uncommon for Laine to have two or three bad turnovers on the same shift, never mind the same game. He's much better now, but still not all the way there.

Pics or didn't happen. And I remind you, 1) two or three 2) bad 3) d-zone 4) turnovers 5) per game.

If that was true, funny that it didn't show up in score sheet. Luckiest player ever?

Laine has been more known on offensive zone turnovers and other "safe" turnovers.

Not saying I have been watching Laine as an eagle whole season and most of the shifts and more than you guys, but I guess it's still the truth, as I watch every step of his with a critical eye. I have to admit though that I have missed still maybe 1/5 of his shifts this season.

Lets look at the official stats, as they often bust those stats based on how do you feel yourself.

For this season Laine is 7th on giveaway stats for the Jets with 44 recorded giveaways, one behind Wheeler and losing 6 giveaways for Ehlers & Trouba (50). Undisputed kings are Big Buff (72) and Myers (70).

I know that those stats does not include every single giveaway (and takeaway and hit), but given that Laine's giveaways are so bad and visible according the gossip, how he is not getting more of those recorded in official stats, and how on earth he is averaging way less than 1 recorded giveaway per game?

Last edited:

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
No hat trick against Dallas? Jesus Laine get a grip, what are you doing. Come back to Finland.

On a more serious note, Laine is casually lengthening the teen point-streak record. With the way Laine is going, not getting at least a point in a game seems like quite the anomaly. He could have easily had the hat trick with a bit more luck in the Dallas game.

That first goal looks so damn effortless. It's almost like a golf putt.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So, for the celly of #2 Buff skates there and just pats his bum.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Is it happening again? People gettin but hurt simply because Laine made a mistake/ poor play and it was noticed and commented on.
I guess I should not be surprised.

Players make mistakes. That was not a good play by Laine. It was reminiscent of similar poor plays he made earlier in the season. This one resulted in a goal against. If Helle saves that shot it doesn't make the poor play any better. It's still a poor play.

That being said, he has generally improved his puck management in his own zone since the ASB so it's not as concerning as it was earlier in the season.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Everyone turns the puck over, when it happens in a bad spot and with the worst end result everyone magnifies them and the exaggeration train gets rolling. I never thought turnovers were the weak part of Laine's defensive game, it's a convenient narrative.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Is it happening again? People gettin but hurt simply because Laine made a mistake/ poor play and it was noticed and commented on.
I guess I should not be surprised.

Players make mistakes. That was not a good play by Laine. It was reminiscent of similar poor plays he made earlier in the season. This one resulted in a goal against. If Helle saves that shot it doesn't make the poor play any better. It's still a poor play.

That being said, he has generally improved his puck management in his own zone since the ASB so it's not as concerning as it was earlier in the season.
I completely agree, my only comment is that inflammatory statements will set this board off again.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Eating my crow happily for criticizing Rautala by bulking him up too much. I thought his training methods were too old fashioned for today's game, turns out that they aren't :nod:. Watch out Laine for turning it up even more in the playoffs; Rautala trained all of TPS players in the golden days of 90s. The team was just crushing everyone in the playoffs year after year with all the players having the perfect timing for their physical peak. Laine's playoff run in 2016 is just a more recent example. Can't wait what will happen this time.

Reactions: Ippenator

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
No hat trick against Dallas? Jesus Laine get a grip, what are you doing. Come back to Finland.

On a more serious note, Laine is casually lengthening the teen point-streak record. With the way Laine is going, not getting at least a point in a game seems like quite the anomaly. He could have easily had the hat trick with a bit more luck in the Dallas game.

That first goal looks so damn effortless. It's almost like a golf putt.

I said it last night after that goal; If you give Laine that much space, from that range, it's basically a tap in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad