Player Discussion: Patrik Laine - MOD WARNING IN OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
Yeah perhaps he only celebrates the highlight ones now which is still the majority of his goals by far^^
I believe it is sort of trademark. Part of taking upper hand against goalies. Might also be that he is trying to downplay the hype a bit. At the end it is a team game and one guy takes all glory.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Ease up guys, Laine is on pace to beat OV's 600 goals but we have to remember. There's a reason why OV became the fourth guy to ever do 600 in under 1000 games. Rest of the guys played in high scoring era. It's a historical feat what Ovechkin did and speculating with the idea of Laine doing the same is just stupid.

Reactions: Narow

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Ease up guys, Laine is on pace to beat OV's 600 goals but we have to remember. There's a reason why OV became the fourth guy to ever do 600 in under 1000 games. Rest of the guys played in high scoring era. It's a historical feat what Ovechkin did and speculating with the idea of Laine doing the same is just stupid.
He is?

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

Honestly, didn't even check but I'd wager his GPG is getting close to it.

Edit. Just checked, he's .07 GPG behind OV for his record. That's insane. I don't think there's enough superlatives to describe OV as a player.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I love to watch Laine in a jersey which has so much blue and white.. And I mean light blue stripes etc. Reminds me so much of Finland. :)

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Excuse me but why it’s stupid to speculate that? He might be able to do it or he might not be able to do it. No one can be sure of it. Of course it can be seen as unlikely to happen. But impossible? No.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Come on, let's not make this too hard or waste time debating what's reasonable and what's not, it's just basic elementary maths:

Ages 18-20 - 3 seasons averaging 40g = 120
21-30 - 10 seasons averaging 55g = 550
31-35 - 5 seasons averaging 40g = 200
36-39 - 4 seasons averaging 30g = 120

120 + 550 + 200 + 120 = 990 goals and he can retire before turning 40. Or maybe play one last season just to hit 1000g. If someone is wondering about his slumping production in his 30s, it's only because that's when he really started focusing on his two-way play and won the Selkes. Goal scoring is a young man's game after all.

Don't understand what the fuss is about ;) The highly scientific model used above has proven to have an error margin of +/- 1 goals when calculating career totals in hindsight. To be fair, it's effectiveness in predicting the future has not yet been tested conclusively (small sample size) but the results analyzing past players are very promising, so there's no reason to believe it's very far off.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Laine is currently 77 goals (and counting) ahead of Ovechkin at this age. Ovi did not score his 1st NHL goal until he was 20 years old.
He should get to 600 goals before Ovie age wise, but I don’t think he does it under 1000 game. That is 12 full seasons of averaging 50 goals per, to reach that. He may prove me wrong and boy that will be impressive.

Doing it before the age of 32 won’t be a gimmie either. Ovie has had a very durable career, missing little time through out his career

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
He should get to 600 goals before Ovie age wise, but I don’t think he does it under 1000 game. That is 12 full seasons of averaging 50 goals per, to reach that. He may prove me wrong and boy that will be impressive.

Doing it before the age of 32 won’t be a gimmie either. Ovie has had a very durable career, missing little time through out his career

I never mentioned anything other than he has an 80ish goal head start.

The other big factor will be injury issues. It’s amazing how many more games Ovi has than Crosby

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Can't help but luv the kid. Ovechkin "won" today and I didn't even care much. Laine scored another beauty and keeps making history. Enjoyed every minute of the game. Fingers crossed he keeps the form up until the playoffs are done with. With this pace I won't have to pay the fifty euro bet I made before this all started (Laine finishing with PPG). :thumbu:

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018

The other big factor will be injury issues. It’s amazing how many more games Ovi has than Crosby
And at least in his prime he played extremely hard. There is a guy with endurance.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Come on, let's not make this too hard or waste time debating what's reasonable and what's not, it's just basic elementary maths:

Ages 18-20 - 3 seasons averaging 40g = 120
21-30 - 10 seasons averaging 55g = 550
31-35 - 5 seasons averaging 40g = 200
36-39 - 4 seasons averaging 30g = 120

120 + 550 + 200 + 120 = 990 goals and he can retire before turning 40. Or maybe play one last season just to hit 1000g. If someone is wondering about his slumping production in his 30s, it's only because that's when he really started focusing on his two-way play and won the Selkes. Goal scoring is a young man's game after all.

Don't understand what the fuss is about ;) The highly scientific model used above has proven to have an error margin of +/- 1 goals when calculating career totals in hindsight. To be fair, it's effectiveness in predicting the future has not yet been tested conclusively (small sample size) but the results analyzing past players are very promising, so there's no reason to believe it's very far off.

it has been talked lot before and it's pretty much possible his GPG wont fade with usual degree because his scoring ability at the first place was never tied to agility and acceleration which are the most obvious factors when ageing, we simply has to wait and see and stop speculation.

but hell, 1000 goals why not! :laugh:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Hopefully no lockouts either. Ovi likely reaches that total at a younger age if he doesn't lose a season and a Half to negotiations. I don't think it's out of the question to say he likely hits 600 1 or 2 seasons ago if not for that missed time. Hopefully Laine doesn't have to deal with any.

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
rock and roll finally had new baby. his name is laine. patrik laine. many many many over 70 goal seasons a coming. also 100 goal season in works very soon

Sir avgard hockeyprofessor

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Hopefully no lockouts either. Ovi likely reaches that total at a younger age if he doesn't lose a season and a Half to negotiations. I don't think it's out of the question to say he likely hits 600 1 or 2 seasons ago if not for that missed time. Hopefully Laine doesn't have to deal with any.
Yep, only real difference between the two of them will be their Stanley cup rings.

Reactions: KB1971

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
xZXpA15.png

Career stats up to date.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Great game by Patty against the Preds. He came really close to scoring a goal a couple of times, but it was his all round play that impressed me the most. This kid looks like a solid 1st liner, and is starting to show his warrior mentality. He looked like he can be thrown out in all situations against any opponent. I can hardly wait for the play offs – if we meet the Preds in the 2nd round, it will be mayhem!

Reactions: Ippenator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->