Player Discussion: Patrik Laine - MOD WARNING IN OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
LETS GO LAINE keep it up! 23 games to go to get 10 goals!!!

You can do it
Hoping you get to 60 points also.
14 points in 23 games

That is doable that is below your phase.

Drive the 3rd line. You are the man, Jets are getting recognition as Stanley cup contender BUT IF YOU drive that (3rd) line like we know you can. The team will be the favorite ;)

Maurice wants you to take your own line and own it! do it Laine.

Don't worry about the ice time. You are elite.

GO JETS GO

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
LETS GO LAINE keep it up! 23 games to go to get 10 goals!!!

You can do it
Hoping you get to 60 points also.
14 points in 23 games

That is doable that is below your phase.

Drive the 3rd line. You are the man, Jets are getting recognition as Stanley cup contender BUT IF YOU drive that (3rd) line like we know you can. The team will be the favorite ;)

Maurice wants you to take your own line and own it! do it Laine.

Don't worry about the ice time. You are elite.

GO JETS GO

I really hope he can get 13 more goals in before the end of the season. I want him to hit that 40 mark...

Reactions: kanadalainen

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think it was also his first proper 5-on-5 backhander, and one scored from shortest distances from goal. He scored that emptynetter backhander from half rink before.

That was refreshing to see. Something different. Great passing combo too.

Great goal and a very good game overall from Laine, IMO. He wax noticeable on the forecheck and came back hard for a back-check on that 3-2 in the 3rd. Looking much stronger than earlier in the season.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Laine had a strong game imo, I was watching him pretty closely and felt his puck retention was really good and he was effective in the corners and below the goal line on a few cycles. I think he's adding to his game, it gives him another dimension.

I can't remember who he fed it to but that little pass into open space, after he drew two players towards him in the 1st was a thing of beauty, just sick.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I can't remember who he fed it to but that little pass into open space, after he drew two players towards him in the 1st was a thing of beauty, just sick.

Not sure if you did mean that one, but he feed Copp for a "sure goal", but that time Copp was not able to shoot that one.

Copp is not the problem on that line. It's the Laine-Ehlers connection that either almost never works or is one pass too many. Also every other time it's an offside when they finally have a good looking o-zone entry. I love it how these buddies like each others but unless they have glue named Mark between them I would not put them into the same line.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Not sure if you did mean that one, but he feed Copp for a "sure goal", but that time Copp was not able to shoot that one.

Copp is not the problem on that line. It's the Laine-Ehlers connection that either almost never works or is one pass too many. Also every other time it's an offside when they finally have a good looking o-zone entry. I love it how these buddies like each others but unless they have glue named Mark between them I would not put them into the same line.
No, that was against the Avs, it happened last night.

I have no issue with the line at this point.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Laine had a strong game imo, I was watching him pretty closely and felt his puck retention was really good and he was effective in the corners and below the goal line on a few cycles. I think he's adding to his game, it gives him another dimension.

i think it was to Copp, it was to the right side of Reimer if i recall and Copp fed it to Buff after.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Some comparable to Laine at
18 and 19 years old season
Goals output

Kovalchuk
Total 67

Crosby
Total 75

Hawerchuk
Total 85

Stamkos
Total 74

Jagr
Total 59

Laine
27 with quarter of the season left

Note:
Lemeiux, Lindros Tavares, Matthews etc
1st 2 seasons were 19 & 20 years old.

One of the reason why im cheering for Laine so hard to get as far as he can.
We are witnessing one of the best teenage goal scoring unfold right before us.

"I hope he gets that bonus clause."
When the team locks up the seed i hope the coach and management gives him all tbe opportunity to chase it with the remaining games left.

Go Laine
Go Jets go

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Goals output

Kovalchuk
Total 67

Crosby
Total 75

Hawerchuk
Total 85

Stamkos
Total 74

Jagr
Total 59

Laine

Note:

When the team locks up the seed i hope the coach and management gives him all tbe opportunity to chase it with the remaining games left.

Go Laine
Go Jets go

Hawerchuk was impressive but relative to era that is probably closer to what most of these newer guys have. Stammer is probably the most impressive in the current era. Only other player to score 60 in cap era and did it at 21.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Goals output

Kovalchuk
Total 67

Crosby
Total 75

Hawerchuk
Total 85

Stamkos
Total 74

Jagr
Total 59

Laine

Note:

Go Laine
Go Jets go

And to do this while playing mostly in ELL is really impressive.

Unless Copp is a better player than Little, this is has been an excellent demonstration of the importance of line-chemistry.

C'mon Laine let's get a hat trick in there this season :).

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Hawerchuk was impressive but relative to era that is probably closer to what most of these newer guys have. Stammer is probably the most impressive in the current era. Only other player to score 60 in cap era and did it at 21.
For sure Stamkos’s 60 goals are an amazing achievement in nowadays hockey. But at the same time it does make me at least think of what could Laine do if he would get to play like Stamkos played during that season all the time with wonderful playmakers like St.Louis and Lecavalier while playing with a whopping average 22 minutes of ice time per game. Somehow I honestly think that we would see statistically something absolutely spectacular. Well, hopefully we will still get to see something like that in the future.

Anyway Laine’s stats are after all pretty darn impressive when thinking how low his icetime has been and also that he has not had any top class playmakers playing with him on 5 on 5 hockey.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
For sure Stamkos’s 60 goals are an amazing achievement in nowadays hockey. But at the same time it does make me at least think of what could Laine do if he would get to play like Stamkos played during that season all the time with wonderful playmakers like St.Louis and Lecavalier while playing with a whopping average 22 minutes of ice time per game. Somehow I honestly think that we would see statistically something absolutely spectacular. Well, Hopefully we will still get to see something like that in the future.

Anyway Laine’s stats are after all pretty darn impressive when thinking how low his icetime has been and also that he has not had any top class playmakers playing with him on 5 on 5 hockey.

I think the more interesting thing is how bad those Bolts teams actually were. They had no real depth in their roster and although they made the conference finals in 2011 they never really had much to show for some of Stammers better goal scoring seasons. I'm not sure if Laine will ever hit those totals simply because we won't have to rely on him to score as much as Tampa had to rely on Stammer. Stammer is still a great shooter but he has remodeled his game now that Tampa has better depth to not only be a better defensive center but he passes more and his time on ice is at a level that shows Tampa's depth at forward. Unlike Ovi and Stammer during their heavy goalscoring years Laine won't have to be relied on to carry the teams offence. I think it will lead to more team success sooner and likely less personal success which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Reactions: grey area

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I think the more interesting thing is how bad those Bolts teams actually were. They had no real depth in their roster and although they made the conference finals in 2011 they never really had much to show for some of Stammers better goal scoring seasons. I'm not sure if Laine will ever hit those totals simply because we won't have to rely on him to score as much as Tampa had to rely on Stammer. Stammer is still a great shooter but he has remodeled his game now that Tampa has better depth to not only be a better defensive center but he passes more and his time on ice is at a level that shows Tampa's depth at forward. Unlike Ovi and Stammer during their heavy goalscoring years Laine won't have to be relied on to carry the teams offence. I think it will lead to more team success sooner and likely less personal success which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
You might be right, only time will tell. But at least so far Maurice tends to play his absolute top forwards over 20 minutes per game, so it might still happen even with Laine at some point, if his development continues so that he will be even the clear top player of the Jets. That could very well still happen at some point. He is that talented already as just a 19 year old.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You might be right, only time will tell. But at least so far Maurice tends to play his absolute top forwards over 20 minutes per game, so it might still happen even with Laine at some point, if his development continues so that he will be even the clear top player of the Jets. That could very well still happen at some point. He is that talented already as just a 19 year old.

One thing Stammer had on him at this stage in their careers is he was an incredible skater. If Laine can get to that point in the next few seasons sky is the limit.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
One thing Stammer had on him at this stage in their careers is he was an incredible skater. If Laine can get to that point in the next few seasons sky is the limit.
I’m sure Laine will still develop clearly with his skating. But I wouldn’t still expect him to be really ever the kind of skater that much smaller players than him can be. Even Wheeler whom is a very good skater for such a big guy, can’t compete generally as a skater against clearly smaller great skaters.

But Laine will not have to be a real top skater, it should be enough that he would get to the level that for example Barkov has with his skating. Nothing spectacular, but definitely a respectable skater for his size. And if he could somehow manage to get his skating even close to the level of what Wheeler has, that would be absolutely great. Then he would already be an absolute monster of a player.

Btw, does anyone remember how was Wheeler’s skating when he was around 20 years old? Did he still develop it a lot, or was it already pretty much at the level that he has nowadays? I have followed a lot of players much before those times and during those times in the NHL, but I have to admit that Wheeler went completely under my radar, so I can’t say anything of how he was as a skater then.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I’m sure Laine will still develop clearly with his skating. But I wouldn’t still expect him to be really ever the kind of skater that much smaller players than him can be. Even Wheeler whom is a very good skater for such a big guy, can’t compete generally as a skater against clearly smaller great skaters.

But Laine will not have to be a real top skater, it should be enough that he would get to the level thst for example Barkov has with his skating. Nothing spectacular, but definitely a respectable skater for his size. And if he could somehow manage to get his skating even close to the level of what Wheeler has, that would be absolutely great. Then he would already be an absolute monster of a player.

Btw, does anyone remember how was Wheeler’s skating when he was around 20 years old? Did he still develop it a lot, or was it already pretty much at the level that he has nowadays? I have followed a lot of players during those times in the NHL, but I have to admit that Wheeler went completely out of my radar, so I can’t say anything of how he was as a skater then.

Skating was always seen as a strength of his. IQ was always the question surrounding Wheeler. He wasn't even seen by many as a top 30 pick in his draft year. Coyotes were considered to be reaching heavily with that pick.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Skating was always seen as a strength of his. IQ was always the question surrounding Wheeler. He wasn't even seen by many as a top 30 pick in his draft year. Coyotes were considered to be reaching heavily with that pick.

One thing to remember about Blake was he was an excellent multi sport athelete and hadn’t fully committed to hockey until his draft year. I believe his dad had a talk to him and said he was going to need to pick a sport.

Copp and Samberg are both really good at other sports too. Also a bit OT but Lipon reached a national level wakeboarding.

Onto Laine I was watching Barkov skate last night and he is light years better than when he was drafted. I hope Pate considers all options with his off season programs.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
One thing to remember about Blake was he was an excellent multi sport athelete and hadn’t fully committed to hockey until his draft year. I believe his dad had a talk to him and said he was going to need to pick a sport.

Copp and Samberg are both really good at other sports too. Also a bit OT but Lipon reached a national level wakeboarding.

Onto Laine I was watching Barkov skate last night and he is light years better than when he was drafted. I hope Pate considers all options with his off season programs.
Pate is already following the similar kind of development path with his skating training that Barkov was having. I have emphasized this already a lot, but it took Barkov first 3 full off seasons to bulk up his leg muscles with more explosive power. He started to polish his skating with a figure skating trainer only after that. And the exactly same path was taken by Mikael Granlund, whom is also by light years a better skater than in the beginning of his NHL career.

I have heard an interview of Laine where he was exactly explaining something like having discussed with several people of the best way to develop his skating, and Barkov was one of those people. Of course his trainer Hannu Rautala was an important person that he has discussed it with. And of course also Mikko Rantanen whom is training in the same group with Laine, and whom has had similar development with his skating as Barkov has had. I’m very confident that Laine has already been doing the right things. But like in the cases of Granlund, Barkov and Rantanen, you just dont get immediately great results. It took each of those guys really at least three off seasons before they had created enough of explosive power to their legs to have a real substantial difference in their acceleration on the ice. We will definitely need to be still patient with Laine too.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Pate is already following the similar kind of development path with his skating training that Barkov was having. I have emphasized this already a lot, but it took Barkov first 3 full off seasons to bulk up his leg muscles with more explosive power. He started to polish his skating with a figure skating trainer only after that. And the exactly same path was taken by Mikael Granlund, whom is also by light years a better skater than in the beginning of his NHL career.

I have heard an interview of Laine where he was exactly explaining something like having discussed with several people of the best way to develop his skating, and Barkov was one of those people. Of course his trainer Hannu Rautala was an important person that he has discussed it with. And of course also Mikko Rantanen whom is training in the same group with Laine, and whom has had similar development with his skating as Barkov has had. I’m very confident that Laine has already been doing the right things. But like in the cases of Granlund, Barkov and Rantanen, you just dont get immediately great results. It took each of those guys really at least three off seasons before they had created enough of explosive power to their legs to have a real substantial difference in their acceleration on the ice. We will definitely need to be still patient with Laine too.

I think it may take some time before Laine really becomes that full goalscoring threat. He already has PP scoring down to a T. He's great in front of the net and he has some great hands which will get better in tight. The speed aspect will really make him a threat. When he can start to regularly beat defenders with speed he will be tough to stop with his strength as he ages. His peak is likely a few years away hopefully it will be a long one.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Bob McKenzie was speculating that Laine could get a contract for $12M/year.

Honestly not worth it to me. It seems silly to destroy your cap situation unless this is a player that you can play heavily in all kinds of game situations. Laine isn’t even close to being that ype of player.

I hope he’s completely misjudging the compensation required. I’d rather keep players like Kyle Connor than go crazy on a particular player.

I don’t need a megastar to cheer for. I much prefer having favourable contract players to enhance team competitiveness.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad