Confirmed with Link: Patrik Elias Announces Retirement

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Very odd time of the day to announce it.

I think we all have known it was coming for the last couple months, so I'm not really sad. He hasn't played in almost 365 days.

Kind of wish he would have come back for a few months, but his last game was the perfect way to go out.

DickThunder

Mar 13, 2012
Rovaniemi, Finland
One of the last of my childhood heroes to retire. Sad to see him go but happy to see him retire as a Devil. Thank you for everything you have done for this organization Patrik!

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Not really unexpected, but still sad to see Patty go. #26 could be the last number retired by the Devils for a long time.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How many people do you think I'm gonna troll by that Shane Doan comment I just made in the main board thread?

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Last link to those truly great teams gone.

Good luck, Patty. I hope you stay connected to the organization.

Really, I hope the Devils find a way to make the alumni a strong part of the culture. I know Driver, Velischek and all are doing work, but I don't know if the players today really know the history they're attached to.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The end of an era. The writing has been on the wall but it's still a bittersweet day. Such an underrated player who never got the recognition he deserved. Loved Patty and 26 will be up in the rafters soon enough.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Very odd time of the day to announce it.

I think we all have known it was coming for the last couple months, so I'm not really sad. He hasn't played in almost 365 days.

Kind of wish he would have come back for a few months, but his last game was the perfect way to go out.

he was the last of the devils core, great player, will be missed. as you stated his last game was just the perfect ending

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I figured there'd at least be one person saying "Yeah I agree with you, Doan is definitely better". :laugh:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
One of the best and classiest.

We were lucky to have him as a Devil.

I look forward to celebrating his career when 26 gets hoisted up to the rafters.

Congrats Patty.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Best forward to ever play for the Devils

I think that's been cemented for close to a decade now. I said back in 2001 that Elias was probably the best forward we'd ever have, at least homegrown wise. We wound up getting Nieuwendyk a year after that, but he doesn't count because he didn't come up with us and was like 36 when he got here.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
:(

Not unexepected, sad nevertheless. Patty was an absolute treasure to watch. Didn't always get the respect that he deserved, sometimes from his own fanbase, until he ended up being the lone loyal soldier amidst the others that left for a number of reasons.

I think that my all-time favorite moment(s) were when he returned from his battle with Hepatitis and tore the league apart. It was as if he hadn't missed a beat at all.

All the jersey retirements so far have brought me man tears, but this one may be the hardest. Patty's a crier, so he'll make me cry even harder. :laugh:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
He'll be a part of the pregame skate next Saturday, will the Last Lap be right after or will it be just prior to the National Anthem?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad