Patrik Berglund

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
I was looking at stats in previous years in the Allsvenskan, and came up with an interesting note - Micheal Ryder played there in the lockout year (04/05) and had 48 points in 32 games (1.5 PPG), in contrast Berglund 1.6 PPG, also if you consider he didnt have a point in first 4 games, his last 13 games hes had 27 points, better than 2 points per game, also more impressive I read on one of the boards that the Allsvenskan has tightened up a bit since then - this indeed could be the steal of the first round :yo:

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London
I was really hoping Vancouver could find a way to grab Berglund late.

He was the second best Euro that draft and he *IS* a steal past 25.

Good pick Blues.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
To put some perspective into this thread (;)), Berglund must still take his game from where it is right now, to not only the next level, but the level after that.

Berglund is dominating with his skill level in the 2nd tier league in Sweden, thats really strong. But also remember that when a player like Berglund with a really effective and powerful style can dominate with his skills, the results will be tremendous.

For you who haven't seen Berglund in the 2nd tier league in Sweden, think how good Zettberg would be if he played exactly like he does, but where 6'7 in the NHL (thats how much bigger Berglund is over the avg 2nd tier player in Sweden).

My point is that Berglund inorder to dominate in the NHL, also must have a dominant skill level among NHL players.

I think its very unlikely that Berglund will become a superstar in the NHL. He have good potential to become a really good player though.

St.Louis sports fan

Mar 1, 2002
St. Louis
Visit site
If he gets the icetime at the World Juniors to show where he is against players his own age then we'll all see how good he is at this point. How good is the Sweden team this year with Berglund, Backstrom, and Backlund?

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
If he gets the icetime at the World Juniors to show where he is against players his own age then we'll all see how good he is at this point. How good is the Sweden team this year with Berglund, Backstrom, and Backlund?

I'm not sure about Backlund.
But Team Sweden must be strong with Backstrom, Bergfors, Berglund, Gistedt, Modig, Persson, Hjalmarsson, Hornqvist, Pettersson,Axelsson,Gynge, Zackrisson, Thuresson e.t.c.

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself

I wouldn't be su sure that Backlund makes the team. he has played bad for the mens team, and at a recent U-18 tourney, he only had one assist in 3 games, IIRC.
With that said, the team looks great, with players like Nicklas Bergfors and first rounder Dennis Persson. But imagine the team next year, when all the 88's have another season under their belt, and some good 89's.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't be su sure that Backlund makes the team. he has played bad for the mens team, and at a recent U-18 tourney, he only had one assist in 3 games, If I recall correctly.
With that said, the team looks great, with players like Nicklas Bergfors and first rounder Dennis Persson. But imagine the team next year, when all the 88's have another season under their belt, and some good 89's.

I would think by next year Backstrom would be in the NHL, but yes its looking good for Sweden in general, ironic since wasnt too long ago people were saying why isnt sweden producing talent like they used to.
As for Berglund has to prove himself at the next Level and the next - sure thing, but that applies to any prospect, for now the stats are amazing for his age tho.
cant wait for world Juniors - :yo:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I would think by next year Backstrom would be in the NHL, but yes its looking good for Sweden in general, ironic since wasnt too long ago people were saying why isnt sweden producing talent like they used to.

As for Berglund has to prove himself at the next Level and the next - sure thing, but that applies to any prospect, for now the stats are amazing for his age tho.
cant wait for world Juniors - :yo:

Of course, but how difficult that is, depends on what style the kid in question plays.

A great shot is always a great shot, no matter if its in juniors or the NHL.

Berglund is a 6'4, high tempo, hardworking center with a very good skill-level.

But it could be very tough for him to get that skill level to the level it takes to dominate in the NHL, because of his size. However if he does, the payoff will be so much higher, just like Malkin.

I am not saying that he is a hit or miss prospect, but we should be realistic when it comes to the kids offensive potential, its really high, like 1st line center, but its also very likely that he ends up on a 3rd or 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad