Patrik Berglund

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
Wow..He has 3 goals and 4 assists in 7 games, including 5 points in his latest two games. I watched the first game vs. Leksand, and I must say that I was really impressed. Like I posted on the Swedish board, he reminds me of Malkin, and seems to be thriving against much older competition. Definately a good pick by St. Louis.
Too bad the channels that televise the Swedish second league don't show many Vasteras games.

Redden Punches Faces*

Malkin comparisons aside, I was REALLY hoping he fell to the Sens. Solid player.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
At this point, Berglund is of course very much, a poor mans version of Malkin! ;)

Though he skates well for a player his size. He have good speed and is dangerous on the rush from the center position. He also have great reach.

It will be interesting to see how Berglund is handled from here and on by the Blues.

NHL teams have been unwilling to draft Euros because the 2 year rule. Though Berglund is defenitly a player who would benefit from 3-4 more years in Europe. I can't see why NHL teams just can't draft the Euros as usual, sign them right away, and loan them to the teams in Europe.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Patrik "The Bruise" Berglund - Better then the Sedins

Found a interesting article on Berglund.

http://hockeymagasinet.fpgroup.se/cldoc/hm/nyheter/17270.htm

The Sedins old coach, and Berglunds current coach -- Pär Bäckman -- had a few inetersting comments.

"God have given him every tool you can get as a hockeyplayer".

"At this age he is better then the Sedins where at the same age. He have a drive and a shot they didn't have. If the Bruise contiues to work hard, be humble, and not think he is gooing to become world champion over night, he could become the best".

Now Bäckman is a hot head. But he have allot of experience behind the bench in hockey.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
The other 2006 Swede is off to a fast start - 12 Games: 8-6-14

He's not gonna get the headlines that Backstrom is going to get, but Patrik is a potential star in the making and could make the 2006 draft GREAT for the Blues...

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
but isn't he in the 2nd league, and Backstrom in the top league?

yes he is. but the second league in sweden is pretty good for an 18 year old. does anyone know how backlund is doing. i heard he hasn't done much this season.

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
yes he is. but the second league in sweden is pretty good for an 18 year old. does anyone know how backlund is doing. i heard he hasn't done much this season.

I watched the first game against Leksand and I wasn't impressed. The last time I checked, he has one assist in 5 games. I've heard that he's been sick, but seems to have troubles to adjust. I hope he'll get back on track soon. I'll be attending either the game on friday against Almtuna or the game on next sunday, which is aganist Nybro.

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
A couple of more points tonight by Berglund. He has now 18 points in 13 games after 9 goals and 9 assist. He is actually 2nd in the scoring race. Impressive!

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Many people will know I was the original Berglund hyper. I was kind of sad when the Canucks didn't pick him. My pre draft comparision for him was Oli Jokinen, and IMO he does play that style. Probably wont pick up as many points, but the style is similiar.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Where did you see Berglund play? (if you were the original hyper, you must have seen him play at a pretty early stage). Just a bit curious.

I've actually got some tapes of Berglund from the U18's, and that is where I fell in with Berglund. I haven't seen Berglund in SEL, but I've heard he is pretty good there too.

Also I wasn't the original hyper that's taking it far, but I was some of the few who thought Berglund was going to suceed.

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
I've actually got some tapes of Berglund from the U18's, and that is where I fell in with Berglund. I haven't seen Berglund in SEL, but I've heard he is pretty good there too.

Also I wasn't the original hyper that's taking it far, but I was some of the few who thought Berglund was going to suceed.

actually, he's playing in the swedish second league for Västerås.

I didn't get to see last nights game, due to that damn snow "storm". I got from Södertälje to Stockholm in 4 hours! But for those who saw the game, how did Backlund do yesterday? I see that he didn't get any points..

Plager05

Mar 17, 2002
Sewers
Visit site
Berglund is 2nd in the Allsvensken (sp?) in scoring with 18 points in 13 games. Just following his stats he started the season off at an even point per game pace for the first 10 games and lately he has exploded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad