Patrick White

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I heard he has a very good skillset... size, speed, shot, accuracy, physical edge. Seems like he can become a power forward in the future if he bulks up, can you tell me more about him? What type of potential does he have? I heard Arnott plays a similiar game to him, and his scouting report makes him seem really intriguing. I'm really confident in this pick, because the Canucks American scouting system has been top notch.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
dont know how much of a power game he will have at the NHL but the kid can shoot the puck, and I think will be one if not THE best sniper in his draft class. We'll see how he developes at Minny. Very good pick for you guys.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
What are Patrick White's downsides? Given all that I have read about him the last few hours, it seems like he possesses a skillset and demeanor that should've seen him selected higher than the bottom of the first round. Why was there so little buzz about him going into the draft? Especially from us Canucks fans, considering that an offensive center is exactly what we predicted our team would look for?

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
What are Patrick White's downsides? Given all that I have read about him the last few hours, it seems like he possesses a skillset and demeanor that should've seen him selected higher than the bottom of the first round. Why was there so little buzz about him going into the draft? Especially from us Canucks fans, considering that an offensive center is exactly what we predicted our team would look for?

His dowsides are. First off he played in MNHS. Not a bad league. But not the best to gauge a guy either. Same league as TJ Oshie, Mark Parrish, Jamie Langenbruuner but going in the way back machine here. Same league that Jonny Pohl, Doug Zmolek, and Darby Hendrickson , Erik Rasmussen came from too. He has a tendancy to coast at times. He did play about half the game in HS but even early in games he looked average at times. Most of the fears are transition. Can he play in the corners at the next level, can he score those big goals atthe next level, will his speed be a factor at the next level? Those IMO are the knocks on him.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
His dowsides are. First off he played in MNHS. Not a bad league. But not the best to gauge a guy either. Same league as TJ Oshie, Mark Parrish, Jamie Langenbruuner but going in the way back machine here. Same league that Jonny Pohl, Doug Zmolek, and Darby Hendrickson , Erik Rasmussen came from too. He has a tendancy to coast at times. He did play about half the game in HS but even early in games he looked average at times. Most of the fears are transition. Can he play in the corners at the next level, can he score those big goals atthe next level, will his speed be a factor at the next level? Those IMO are the knocks on him.

Do you like him as a prosect? What do you honestly think will become of White? I heard he has a very good work ethic, and he seemed like a smart kid when he got interviewed.

Brownie

Aug 16, 2006
Richmond
I know it's only one clip, but that video they showed of his shot looked damn impressive. I'll be keeping an eye out for him.

Same thing I was thinking. Looked like he could pick the corner nicely. If this guy can be a fairly physical second line center with a goal scoring touch, I'll be really happy.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

To know he has big league skills in the shooting and puck handling department in refreshing enough. Speed and conditioning can be worked on, so can smarts IMO.

Angelo25

Jun 2, 2007
everytime i go on this board all i hear is good things about pat white.. which is a good thing.. he seems like a total package that didnt really play with the best competition out there for him.. hmm sounds a lot like turris.. lol ive watched a couple of clips.. and he really seems to be a good skater not a great skater.. solid prospect.. hes stickhandling and he's hard accurate shot are his best features.. theres no glaring weaknesses.. just needs to play against better players to see where hes at... scouts say he's probably two or three years away.. probably gonna take the kesler route.. which is fine for me

Junius

May 17, 2007
Vancouver
Here is a good quote:

"White is incredibly strong with the puck. In last year's state championship game, Roseau head coach Scott Oliver instructed his players to try and play off White, because of his ability to bounce off of checks. White also has a hard, accurate shot which allows him to score a lot of goals. He is also responsible on his own end of the ice, which should make him even more attractive to NHL teams.

White was ranked 23rd in the NHL Central Scouting Bureau Final Rankings, which was up from 25 in the Mid-term Rankings. White will likely be on the borderline between the first and the second round.

White will head to the University of Minnesota next season. Whichever team drafts him will likely want White to play at least 2 or three years as he develops physically. White has a great deal of strength, but there is a big difference between being high school-strong and NHL-strong, and it takes time to build that strength. White projects to a solid two-way player that can be a solid finisher on a powerplay. White is one of the more complete players in the draft, with no glaring weaknesses. It will just be a matter of how he continues to develop."

Sounds pretty good.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Do you like him as a prosect? What do you honestly think will become of White? I heard he has a very good work ethic, and he seemed like a smart kid when he got interviewed.

I really like White. I have a feeling he will end up on the gophers top line with Stoa and Okposo. He does everything well. He has the strength and smarts to make things happen. What i like about White the most is his willingness to shoot the puck. Some snipers in the making have the shot but do not shoot. White loves to shoot the puck. He likes to be that guy. I think he will be a steal where he was picked. Supposedly he is taking classes at the U allready to work out with team and get early chemistry. He says and does all the right things.

I hate to to cross compare stats but Sam Gagner had 11 goals in 40 some games in the USHL last year. This year White had 8 goals in 12 games.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I'm really liking this pick, he definetly has his head in the right place, and the skillset to make himself a steal.

Can you comment on his foot speed? How is it?

Junius

May 17, 2007
Vancouver
I really like White. I have a feeling he will end up on the gophers top line with Stoa and Okposo. He does everything well. He has the strength and smarts to make things happen. What i like about White the most is his willingness to shoot the puck. Some snipers in the making have the shot but do not shoot. White loves to shoot the puck. He likes to be that guy. I think he will be a steal where he was picked. Supposedly he is taking classes at the U allready to work out with team and get early chemistry. He says and does all the right things.

I hate to to cross compare stats but Sam Gagner had 11 goals in 40 some games in the USHL last year. This year White had 8 goals in 12 games.

Good to hear from an insider. Much appreciated.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I'm really liking this pick, he definetly has his head in the right place, and the skillset to make himself a steal.

Can you comment on his foot speed? How is it?

Speed is not really his game. I am thinking of maybe Guerin. If he cannot go through you he has the speed to break away from you. Not a speedster though. He can get up and run but he is most effective once the puck is in the zone. Has a good first step, when he has space or when he comes away from a scrum he can stride and get a shot off before help comes.

Again its a different game in high school, to the USHL to the u18 tourney. But he has been able to do all of those things at those levels in his short stints there. There was an article about White possibly being a top 5 pick, Think it was redline. Just speculation but nice to see. Its just a ittle blurb aboiut half way down the when they are talking about Minnesota players.

http://transcripts.usatoday.com/Chats/transcript.aspx?c=756

Before his injury kind of hurt his momentum. And in the high school its hard to get it back i think. When other guys gained steam in tougher leagues.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
After being originally angry with this pick, I'm actually quite happy. I guess I didn't research him that much and was too hopeful on Perron (who seems more like a boom/bust kind of guy). IMO, he'll be a nice second line center who'll be more of a scorer than a playmaker. He'll probably play with someone like Raymond/Shirikov when he's playing with the Nucks. Speed doesn't seem to be his game, but is clutch. Overall, a nice pick that should turn out quite nicely in the coming years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->