Patrick Roy

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Never got a chance to see him play, was too young.

Was he as good as the legend suggests?

Would he be a top goalie in todays nhl if in prime?

Did he ever fight with anyone?

Patrick_Roy_1999.jpg

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Yea, he was as good as the legends suggest. I think if he was in his prime now he'd be the best goalie in the league. Price is an excellent goalie but he severely lacks Roy's ability to be a clutch player in big games.

Did he ever fight?

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Never again will we ever feel as comfortable with our goaltending like we did with Roy back there.

Especially in the playoffs, he was the best playoff goalie of all time.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Greatest ever.

Fiercely competitive. Absolutely despised losing. A money goalie to the very definition. A leader. Carried himself with supreme confidence bordering on complete arrogance, knowing he was better than whatever shooter coming down on him.

‘93 Habs Cup run. 11 OT wins. If you want to see clutch, watch that run and how good Roy was.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i have his rookie card opeechee! roy was great no doubt however you cant leave out hasek & broduer from the best ever conversation.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I have my doubts that there will ever be another goalie as clutch as Roy was. I don't think the legends do him justice.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I have my doubts that there will ever be another goalie as clutch as Roy was. I don't think the legends do him justice.

Players are bred differently now. There’s a respect factor and mutual acknowledgement of everybody’s talent. Everybody works out together, has laughs, etc. Not Saint Patrick. Cut from the same cloth as Scott Stevens, Mark Messier, and the like. The opponent is the enemy and winning is a right. Just don’t see the same mentalities nowadays.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Players are bred differently now. There’s a respect factor and mutual acknowledgement of everybody’s talent. Everybody works out together, has laughs, etc. Not Saint Patrick. Cut from the same cloth as Scott Stevens, Mark Messier, and the like. The opponent is the enemy and winning is a right. Just don’t see the same mentalities nowadays.

I miss the hate. Hockey(sports in general) is so much more enjoyable when there is hate amongst players/teams. Its what made the rivalry with the wings so fun. Every single game between the Wings and Avs in the 90's was must see TV.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hey now. The only athlete who has ever been as good as Brodeur at holding on long past his effective playing days to accumulate stats is Brett Favre!

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Despite the fact that Brodeur's last shutout came against us when he was 64 and we had about 8 shots, he is fat and was a significantly poorer goalie than Patrick Roy.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Hey now. The only athlete who has ever been as good as Brodeur at holding on long past his effective playing days to accumulate stats is Brett Favre!

Messier?

To his credit Brodeur's credit he had the endurance to put in an extra 10 starts every year.

Which makes the whole fat accusation seem absurd. Could be a running "joke" cause of Avery?

Either way, he's definitely in the conversation. Along with Hasek.

Reactions: cgf

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I miss the hate. Hockey(sports in general) is so much more enjoyable when there is hate amongst players/teams. Its what made the rivalry with the wings so fun. Every single game between the Wings and Avs in the 90's was must see TV.
I hate the buddy-buddy stuff, same crap in the NBA. Love the characters from the NFL where teams genuinely hate eachother.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It's easy to explain:

You want to build a Stanley cup team and have access to all NHL players in history, all in their prime.

Roy would go 1st overall.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Brodeur was a fantastic goalie, but his win record has a giant * next to it because of the shootout. If there were still ties no one would have touched Roy's record.

On topic, Roy was the greatest goalie of all time no doubt won a cup as a rookie netminder, was the biggest reason the Habs won in 93, and was integral in our 2 cup wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->