May 1, 2003
Visit site
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Pouliot/O'Sullivan/Voloshenko - Walz - Gaborik
Bouchard - White - Rolston
Veileux - Koivu - Weinhandl
Choiunard - Boogaard

... where do we pen in O'Sullivan.
I can't believe you would rather see Weinhandl in the lineup instead of O'Sullivan.

As far as Patty O's career development I think the Wild have brought him along just fine, and his future in Minnesota looked good. Who did he have to compete with for ice time in the next few years: Dupuis, Weinhandl, Veileux, Wanvig, Boogaard? Those guys haven't done anything to automatically give them a spot in the lineup; save for the one year Dupuis actually could hit the net.

bcimright

Jul 25, 2004
Osprey said:
I've read that he played LW with the Aeros last year and I got the impression that he played that position all year. Perhaps someone can confirm.

He usually played wing, but centered the pp on the top pp line.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
tk421 said:
I can't believe you would rather see Weinhandl in the lineup instead of O'Sullivan.

As far as Patty O's career development I think the Wild have brought him along just fine, and his future in Minnesota looked good. Who did he have to compete with for ice time in the next few years: Dupuis, Weinhandl, Veileux, Wanvig, Boogaard? Those guys haven't done anything to automatically give them a spot in the lineup; save for the one year Dupuis actually could hit the net.

Uhhh...TK...the people you listed are all mucklers and grinders. I don't think O'Sullivan is really a third-line, fourth-line type of player, you think?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Russian_fanatic said:
Kings absolute best prospect EASILY. 100 point potential 35-40 goals for him is reasonable.

And that's the problem right there for the Wild. POTENTIAL and REASONABLE. O'Sullivan would take at least a couple years like Bouchard to start racking up the points. As I keep mentioning to you, Gaborik would probably be gone and who knows who else might leave in that time period. Rolston? Walz?

We would be in constant rebuilding and while the market looks okay in Minnesota, do you really want to be stuck on a constantly rebuilding team?

I Am Ziggy Palffy

Sep 9, 2003
i'm thorougly confused and dont know who to believe....i'm hearing Kovy and then Palffy....but their games are completely differnet....Kovy is a sniper and Palffy is a playmaker....then i see a list combining Kovolev, Afinigenov, Sakic and hemsky, which i'm still trying to figure out what that looks like.....

its hard to imagine an American player who puck handles like a european, and i'm getting the impression that his shot is good but not great....so what's the analysis? How does he score most of his goals/points.....

i've seen Sully play maybe twice, and he'd seemed to own the ice....either through creating chances or scoring clutch goals, but always very fiery....

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
i'm thorougly confused and dont know who to believe....i'm hearing Kovy and then Palffy....but their games are completely differnet....Kovy is a sniper and Palffy is a playmaker....then i see a list combining Kovolev, Afinigenov, Sakic and hemsky, which i'm still trying to figure out what that looks like.....

its hard to imagine an American player who puck handles like a european, and i'm getting the impression that his shot is good but not great....so what's the analysis? How does he score most of his goals/points.....

i've seen Sully play maybe twice, and he'd seemed to own the ice....either through creating chances or scoring clutch goals, but always very fiery....

Since when is Palffy not a sniper?

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004

You know Palfyy put up these goal totals in his career?

And in his career he has 329 goals in 684 games which is a .481 goal per game which equals to 39 goals per year?

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
First off i think Patty O is going to be a very good player. And am sorry the wild had to trade him away.

But seems like people are giving him way too much credit. A sure fire 100 point guy? The only guy in his draft class that did that so far is Staal. If Patty O= Staal. We would not have traded him away and he would have been on the Wilds roster along time ago. O'Sullivan played on a team with the top 2 scorers in the AHL, and the second leading scoring d man. Add in another young scorer in Voloshanko and a late addition in Foy. And this was not the beafed up AHL of last year.

AgentNaslund*

no comment. I know hes an awesome prospect.

all i have to say is, what an awesome trade by L.A. I thought O sullivan straight up for someone like Demitra, would be good enough, but to throw in a 1st round pick, wow, awesome trade by L.A its all i gota say.

I Am Ziggy Palffy

Sep 9, 2003
Since when is Palffy not a sniper?

let me rephrase...Kovy is a shooter who has a great shot....Palffy is more of a slick puckhandler/passer....when i think about a sniper, i think along the lines of Kovy or Brett Hull...palffy scores most of his goals through creative playmaking, therefore i label him more as a playmaker, not a sniper...

plus, the reason i brought up the two players was because the two were being likened to O'sullivan....obviously, ppl know how the two differ in style of play, which prompted me to label the two differently...

Last edited:

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Wow, nice bump. Shows how the surest of prospects can be complete duds.

Or maybe that we fans overvalue/over hype certain skills when it comes to evaluating prospects, and generally talk out our *****.

O'Sullivan probably wasn't seen as a slam dunk at the time because Minnesota traded him coming off a good pro rookie season, and they didn't get massive return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->