Patrick O'Sullivan

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I've been really wondering WHY we traded O'Sullivan and I think DR and the Wild organization did something to progress O'Sullivan's career. Minnesota has a deep prospect pool to pick from and they have a lot of youngsters on the team already. Bouchard, Gaborik, Koivu, Dupuis (if he ever returns to form), Veilleux, Boogaard. With Pouliot, Irmen, and Voloshenko coming up, we need veterans because you can't run on all rookies or youngsters. It just can't be done. I'm going to miss O'Sullivan but we couldn't pen O'Sullivan in to get the quality ice time he needed. Most of you here, would ***** and moan about O'Sullivan's lack of progress because he's stuck with Koivu and Boogaard on the fourth line.

I think the Wild did the right thing for O'Sullivan's career. It doesn't help the Wild fans because we were banking on this kid but when you got a deep prospect roster (added in Sheppard now and Fiala), we have to realize and move on. We have a lot of good players still in the system (wish they traded AJ 'I got kicked out of MSU' Thelen but no one wants the kid) and we've got a lot of good players developing.

Hell Pouliot might make the team this year. He had an AWESOME rookie camp last year and he might as well have another. Voloshenko could make the team too. Time will tell but imagine this:

Free Agent -Walz -Gaborik
Bouchard - White - Rolston
Veilleux - Choiunard - Weinhandl ???
Rookie (O'Sullivan might have gone here) - Koivu - Boogaard

Hell O'Sullivan might have been scratched constantly like Bouchard was and you guys would ***** and moan about this. I'm glad the Wild traded the kid because he's going to get quality ice time and develop more in his career. Maybe we can get him back through free agency, who knows, but all I know is this: O'Sullivan is going to have a heck of a career and Minnesota should feel proud that they helped developed the kid into the player he is today.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
not as scary as...

gaborik
demitra
rolston
bouchard
koivu
pouliot
voloshenko
james sheppard

but its aiiiiiite

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Add in Fiala if he develops right and Kassian...errr...What the hell?

Okay, add in Fiala, Clutterbuck, Irmen, and Bailey and we got enough good players coming through. We also have some talent in the AHL we can sign.

We made some effed up trades but we've also developed players right.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Chrisd said:
not as scary as...

gaborik
demitra
rolston
bouchard
koivu
pouliot
voloshenko
james sheppard

but its aiiiiiite

Dude, do you even know who Kopitar and Tukonen are? Didn't think so. They are better than most of our prospects that we have.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
lol@ do i know who they are....

tukonen was less then impressive in the ahl last year.

Kopitar is still a wild card at best, until proven in NA.

id take the wilds top 8 over kings top 8 on offense any day.

I read all the king AHL forum last year, all the AHL fans of the monarchs all year said tambellini was easily better then tukonen. That tukonen was not that impressive.

Voloshenko > Tukonen

gaborik, demitra, rolston take a dump over their top 3 in the nhl

next

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I wouldn't. I would take Minnesota's defensive core (Stoner, Burns, Schultz, Belle) over their's anyday but...

Tukonen also had to adjust to the AHL and to North American hockey. Voloshenko had an easier time until he kind of nose-dived after the World Juniors.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Gabo and Demitra could rip it up from training camp on. Shepard is at least 2 years from NHL action and I don't think Pouliot will be an impact player for a few more years.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Pouliot is a wild card. He had a disappointing year after rejoining the Wolves BUT he had an awesome rookie camp and was one of the last cuts for the Wild.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
"Shepard is at least 2 years from NHL action and I don't think Pouliot will be an impact player for a few more years."

yes, but like you said we are talking now and the future

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Tukonen is two and a half years younger then Tambellini, so obviously he wasn't expected to perform at the level of Tambellini in the AHL this season.

Considering his age and injury situation, Tukonen had a nice year in the AHL and had a good WJC as well.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Pouliot is a wild card. He had a disappointing year after rejoining the Wolves BUT he had an awesome rookie camp and was one of the last cuts for the Wild.

pouliot had little talent around him in sudbury ( foligno was not on his line ). he still put up numbers similar to jeff carter and horton and such who also didnt have great teams around them, when they were in the OHL.

Had a great playoffs, but nobody else but marc staal showed up from sudbury.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Herby said:
Tukonen is two and a half years younger then Tambellini, so obviously he wasn't expected to perform at the level of Tambellini in the AHL this season.

Considering his age and injury situation, Tukonen had a nice year in the AHL and had a good WJC as well.

I think Volo was what? 19 when he joined the Aeros. He was a young player too. Not saying he's on Tukonen's level of play but they are about the same age.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Chrisd said:
pouliot had little talent around him in sudbury ( foligno was not on his line ). he still put up numbers similar to jeff carter and horton and such who also didnt have great teams around them, when they were in the OHL.

Had a great playoffs, but nobody else but marc staal showed up from sudbury.

He kept taking stupid penalties <--- Disappointing...He had a good WJC I can give you that. He was hitting like crazy out there but he needs to do that consistantly.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
DoobieDoobieDo said:
I think Volo was what? 19 when he joined the Aeros. He was a young player too. Not saying he's on Tukonen's level of play but they are about the same age.

they are the same age, and he's every bit as good.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
DoobieDoobieDo said:

I am not saying anything against Voloshenko who was also one of the youngwst players in the AHL this season. And put up better numbers then Tukonen.

I was disputing what chris said about Tukonen having a bad year because he didn't produce at the same level as Tambellini.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Chrisd said:
"Shepard is at least 2 years from NHL action and I don't think Pouliot will be an impact player for a few more years."

yes, but like you said we are talking now and the future

touche'. but all those kings will be on the roster this yr

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
DoobieDoobieDo said:
He kept taking stupid penalties <--- Disappointing...He had a good WJC I can give you that. He was hitting like crazy out there but he needs to do that consistantly.

Pouliot needs to work on discipline forsure, but his speed, and shot are top notch, with good coaching he could be a complete force. At worst i see him being a high scoring 2nd liner, at best a great 1st liner.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
MeffyuhTJRest said:
touche'. but all those kings will be on the roster this yr

well kings are rebuilding so a guy like tukonen will probably make it.

To be honest, he could use another year in the A.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Chrisd said:
well kings are rebuilding so a guy like tukonen will probably make it.

To be honest, he could use another year in the A.
Tukonen won't make it out of training camp. As you said, he could really use more time in the AHL. With O'Sullivan definitely making the Kings out of camp and Kopitar having a really good shot, as well, Tukonen would be stuck on the bottom two lines. That would definitely not be good for his development. He'll get cut and go down to Manchester, where he'll be likely the go-to guy. He'll probably get a cup of coffee with the Kings at some point. It's not out of the question that he'll end the season with the Kings, but I think that it's unlikely; he's still raw.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Think of O'Sullivan as a cross between:

Alex Kovalev
Maxim Afinogenov
Ales Hemsky
Joe Sakic

- with the primary difference being that O'Sullivan is, at least, a much better goal scorer than the first three guys on that list.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
o'sullivan is going to be very good. he's a great skater and has excellent hockey sense. minnesota did it right by letting him stay in junior until 20 and letting him work on his defensive game for a year in the ahl. watching him against the moose last year has solidified my opinion.

however, the wild made a mistake trading him. i look back and o'sullivan should definitely have been a top 15 pick in '03, if not top 10. it pains me to say it as a sabres fan, but i believe o'sullivan will have a better career than vanek.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Read my post on the first page...Minnesota did the right thing trading him...Not good for the organization but good for O'Sullivan's development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad