Patrick O'sullivan

Habs33

Sep 4, 2003
Visit site
I hope I spelled his name right...

This guy seems to excel at every level he played at.
Why did he go so low in the draft (if you consider 2nd rnd low) for a potential 1st line player?

Apparently it was some family history?

I don't know much about him and wish to learn what his REAL NHL potential is. Is he a potential 50 gl scorer or a 90pts playmaker or both? injury prone?

Last edited:

digitalmonkey*

Habs33 said:
I hope I spekked his name right...

Why did he go so low in the draft (if you consider 2nd rnd low) for a potential 1st line player?

I don't know much about him and wish to learn what his REAL NHL potential is. Is he a potential 50 gl scorer or a 90pts playmaker or both? injury prone?

His father was (maybe still is) a nut case.

Habs33

Sep 4, 2003
Visit site
digitalmonkey said:
I'll try to dig up the story. Minnesota didn't gamble; he'll produce in the NHL.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/whoselifeisit/story.html

cool thx.
you're right he is a nut case.
in any case not sure how 'safe' he is...what will happen the minute he faces true adversity in the nhl when he is in the spotlight.

might need time and therapy for something like that.

then again he seems to always excel at all levels, like he did this year in the ahl.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
the problem being his dad, is far behind him, he's a man now and not a kid.

Wild stole him.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
When Sully fell, I was almost certain the nucks would take him. I'm happy with Kesler, but Sully would be even nicer.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
Habs33 said:

I think its more like 50G scorer and 100P scorer. he is both a playmaker and a sniper.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
pretty good article here IHWC.net

check out some of these quotes:

Patrick O'Sullivan embodies what Team USA hockey players should be all about. When he was called to represent his country, the Winston-Salem, North Carolina native jumped on a plane and arrived in Latvia four hours before game time. He suited up and scored the game-winning goal in a 4-2 win over the host team at Riga Arena.

...With his seasoning in Houston and experience at the IIHF World Championship, O'Sullivan is certainly developing into a top-line center that brings both poise and production on the power play. He can play all three forward positions and he's produced at every level.

---- at least a few people out there don't think he sucks

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
MePutPuckInNet said:
pretty good article here IHWC.net

check out some of these quotes:

Patrick O'Sullivan embodies what Team USA hockey players should be all about. When he was called to represent his country, the Winston-Salem, North Carolina native jumped on a plane and arrived in Latvia four hours before game time. He suited up and scored the game-winning goal in a 4-2 win over the host team at Riga Arena.

...With his seasoning in Houston and experience at the IIHF World Championship, O'Sullivan is certainly developing into a top-line center that brings both poise and production on the power play. He can play all three forward positions and he's produced at every level.

---- at least a few people out there don't think he sucks

I'm not sure your sentence makes sense...i think it's the other way around, only a few people think he isn't really good.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
Habs33 said:

This type of thread comes up quite often, and I made a post a while ago that should help you out.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=4833209&postcount=40

Pete Rock said:
The CBC did a great story on him on The Fifth Estate a couple of years back and let the world know how absolutely horrible his life was.

To make a long story very short, his father would beat him when he "under-performed" on the ice and controlled every aspect of his life, perhaps only letting Patty make bathroom time decisions. John O'Sullivan, his father, is a poor excuse for a human being and epitomises all that is horrible about hockey parents. Patrick was finally offered his freedom after he charged his father with assault and was granted a restraining order.

At draft day in '03, John appeared in Nashville inside the Gaylord Entertainment center since the restraining order had no power in Tennessee but was chagrined to find two NHL-hired bodygaurds with Patrick.

Hockey GM's were obviously concerned that Patty was damaged goods since he fell from a possible top-ten pick in the '03 (an amazing feat if it happened) to 56th overall. I screamed at the TV for a good couple of hours after the sixth pick.

Since moving to Mississauga, I've seen some talent come through this town with Schremp and Spezza, but I have never been more impressed with them than I was with O'Sullivan. Yes all three have offensive wizardry in their blood, but O'Sullivan has character in spades (something that I wish Schremp had had even a speck of in his time here) and is a true warrior; the team was a laughing-stock but he hung in there and made his time count (something else that I wish Schremp and Spezza had done here).

I have always been a fan of O'Sullivan, and no other prospects development interests me or pleases me more than Sully's. This kid has gone through more hell than most people in North America do and has come out as a better person.

The Wild got themselves something real special in '03 and will make every single team in the NHL regret passing him up (except for Detroit and Toronto of course which had traded picks away in the 1st).

Capitals19

Nov 14, 2005
NoVA
i was hoping the Caps might take a chance and draft him #18 in '03.. instead they took Eric Fehr, who is a good prospect, but I'd rather have O'Sullivan.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Patrick O' Sullivan is one of the most talented prospects out there. He can flat out put the puck in the net and will be a mainstay on U.S. national teams for the next decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad