Value of: Patches + 4thOA at the Draft

varano

Jun 27, 2013
All of those trade offers are very "Bergevin".

Heres a hint though, If you're trading a top line LW and a top 5 pick, you AT LEAST want to get the equivalent value back.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
All of those trade offers are very "Bergevin".

Heres a hint though, If you're trading a top line LW and a top 5 pick, you AT LEAST want to get the equivalent value back.
you would think at THE very least.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Was it really necessary to start yet another Patches thread on this board?

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
I don't want to trade Steel but 4OA for Steel and Jones alone is pretty bad for MTL I must say.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Stop proposing terrible offers; keep the draft pick and it's more valuable then any garbage playing on this team.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I'd keep all our picks and trade anyone over 26 for prospects & 2019 picks

At F, that means trading Patches and Byron. Patches should return something decent, but there aren't a lot of teams who are a scoring winger away from Cup contention, and even fewer that have the assets Montreal would want for him. Byron might return a 2nd.

At D, you're looking at trading Weber, Petry, Alzner, Schlemko and Benn. Good luck with that.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Hard no from Edmonton.

We just got Puljujarvi at 4th overall. He’s developing and has a ton of upside, we don’t need or want a do over.

Klefbom for a year of Pacioretty? Lol. No. McDavid has his winger, it’s RNH.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
First off, I want to address the garbage idea that Max disappears in the playoffs before people start throwing a fit.

He absolutely was a ghost last season, but if you look at the greater picture of his playoff career, he posted solid post-season stats in both 2014 and 2015. His shooting %age, total shots, and point per game averages in the Habs two (somewhat) successful post-season runs quite closely reflect the point totals of players like Carter and Kopitar outside of their one amazing playoff run where they both clipped in at above a point per game.

People can choose to look at his most recent season to define his playoff contribution potential, but I can cherry pick back to back showings from even the most elite of playoff contributors such as Patrick Kane to show why a bad series is not indicative of a bad player.

The idea that he disappears in the playoffs and is a useless player when it matters is the 2018 version of "he is a perimeter player that got lucky" the first time he potted 30 goals.

He absolutely has value, and any intelligent GM in this league would happily trade for him at the right price. He is a two-way forward who regularly pots 30+ goals a season despite having average linemates and terrible centers. He is an all-purpose player who can be deployed in any situation, and effectively play at both ends of the ice.

On a team that struggles to score goals (LA) or a team that just wants to add another weapon to their arsenal for the next season (STL, EDM, ANA, DAL, CGY) he could be a perfect fit.

The other thing: The idea that he only has one year left on his contract, and thus he is less valuable, is also incredibly stupid. No NHL GM is going to trade for a player like Max at the draft looking at him as a one season rental, nor would Bergevin (I mean, I hope at least) be stupid enough to trade him at that value. The Habs could move him at a cap hit of 2.25m for the rest of this season, leaving a ton of wiggle room for teams to add at the trade deadline THIS year, but considering he will likely only ask for 6.5-7m next season, he can be fit under the cap of every team I named above.

The only team I would be (slightly) worried about is LA. This is simply due to the fact Doughty is up for a 3-4 million dollar raise the same time Patches would be asking for close to the same. They could easily do it, especially if they move a contract like Pearson or Phaneuf, but it wouldn't be so cut and dry.

Here are some trade proposals, what do you guys think the value of Patches or Patches + 4OA is worth at the draft? If you're going to say "he disappears in the playoffs we don't want him" just spare us both the time and don't bother lol

EDM: Klefbom + Puljujarvi for Patches + 4OA

DAL: Gurianov, Honka, Dallas's 1st for Patches + 4OA (Gurianov has struggled since being drafted)

STL: Fabbri, Kyrou and Thompson for Patches + 4OA (Fabbri is coming off of a season long injury, Thompson has struggled at the NHL level)

ANA: Sam Steel, Max Jones for Patches + 4OA (Neither Steel nor Jones has played a game in the NHL)

CGY: Rasmus Andersson, Dillon Dube, TJ Brodie for Patches + 4OA + two of this years second round picks

Wow.Every trade listed above the Habs get taken. Habs easily say NO to all 5 proposals

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
First off, I want to address the garbage idea that Max disappears in the playoffs before people start throwing a fit.

He absolutely was a ghost last season, but if you look at the greater picture of his playoff career, he posted solid post-season stats in both 2014 and 2015. His shooting %age, total shots, and point per game averages in the Habs two (somewhat) successful post-season runs quite closely reflect the point totals of players like Carter and Kopitar outside of their one amazing playoff run where they both clipped in at above a point per game.

People can choose to look at his most recent season to define his playoff contribution potential, but I can cherry pick back to back showings from even the most elite of playoff contributors such as Patrick Kane to show why a bad series is not indicative of a bad player.

The idea that he disappears in the playoffs and is a useless player when it matters is the 2018 version of "he is a perimeter player that got lucky" the first time he potted 30 goals.

He absolutely has value, and any intelligent GM in this league would happily trade for him at the right price. He is a two-way forward who regularly pots 30+ goals a season despite having average linemates and terrible centers. He is an all-purpose player who can be deployed in any situation, and effectively play at both ends of the ice.

On a team that struggles to score goals (LA) or a team that just wants to add another weapon to their arsenal for the next season (STL, EDM, ANA, DAL, CGY) he could be a perfect fit.

The other thing: The idea that he only has one year left on his contract, and thus he is less valuable, is also incredibly stupid. No NHL GM is going to trade for a player like Max at the draft looking at him as a one season rental, nor would Bergevin (I mean, I hope at least) be stupid enough to trade him at that value. The Habs could move him at a cap hit of 2.25m for the rest of this season, leaving a ton of wiggle room for teams to add at the trade deadline THIS year, but considering he will likely only ask for 6.5-7m next season, he can be fit under the cap of every team I named above.

The only team I would be (slightly) worried about is LA. This is simply due to the fact Doughty is up for a 3-4 million dollar raise the same time Patches would be asking for close to the same. They could easily do it, especially if they move a contract like Pearson or Phaneuf, but it wouldn't be so cut and dry.

Here are some trade proposals, what do you guys think the value of Patches or Patches + 4OA is worth at the draft? If you're going to say "he disappears in the playoffs we don't want him" just spare us both the time and don't bother lol

EDM: Klefbom + Puljujarvi for Patches + 4OA

DAL: Gurianov, Honka, Dallas's 1st for Patches + 4OA (Gurianov has struggled since being drafted)

STL: Fabbri, Kyrou and Thompson for Patches + 4OA (Fabbri is coming off of a season long injury, Thompson has struggled at the NHL level)

ANA: Sam Steel, Max Jones for Patches + 4OA (Neither Steel nor Jones has played a game in the NHL)

CGY: Rasmus Andersson, Dillon Dube, TJ Brodie for Patches + 4OA + two of this years second round picks

I didnt read all of that so apologies if this was addressed, but teams that would give up assets for Patches would be contenders, so their need for 4th overall will be low considering they'd be paying with picks and prospects themself.
Those pieces have a much larger market and are more valuable when separated

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
At F, that means trading Patches and Byron. Patches should return something decent, but there aren't a lot of teams who are a scoring winger away from Cup contention, and even fewer that have the assets Montreal would want for him. Byron might return a 2nd.

At D, you're looking at trading Weber, Petry, Alzner, Schlemko and Benn. Good luck with that.
Shaw's 27 in July so he can go too and don't forget Price

Want to be bottom 5 for at least a couple more years get and let the kids play

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Nobody wants to hear about Fabbri and Kyrou. Please move on.

Last edited:

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Can't disappear in the playoffs if you don't qualify.

giphy.gif
whoa this meme has a gif?!

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Nobody wants to hear about Fabbri and Kyrou. Please move on.
Also on a side note. Once again i am glad that the Patches for thomas and 1st + eventually stopped. With the Cutting down thomas and propping up patches. LOL so far Rober thomas is tearing up the OHL playoffs right now. he has 18 pts in 11 games.
GP11
G6
A12

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
"He is an all-purpose player who can be deployed in any situation"

He's not a player I would put in any situation. He pots his goals but he's pretty damn invisible most nights, even when scoring. His value is in his goal scoring ability, not as this two way forward that can play in any situation.

This really isn't true. I'm not going to try and convince anyone he's a big physical guy or a two way superstar, but Pacioretty is a pretty complete player and one of the best goal scoring wingers. He's pretty capable in most situations and definitely not invisible...

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Shaw's 27 in July so he can go too and don't forget Price

Want to be bottom 5 for at least a couple more years get and let the kids play

Being an Avs fan, I can definitely understand the allure of going this route. The issue I see for the Habs is that a lot of teams seem to want to follow the same path. Who are the hypothetical buyers for Price and his albatross contract? Who is going to give up anything of value for the right to pay Shea Weber a ton of money for a long time, when it's pretty obvious that he's not the same player he once was? Same question for Alzner?

Byron, Patches and Shaw should have some value. Petry too. I just don't know many teams that are in a position where they need any of those guys, and would be willing to pay the likely asking price.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Doesn't make a lot of sense to package Pacioretty and our 1st rounder.

Teams that want Max likely have plans to contend and the 1st round pick wouldn't help them do that.

Likewise, teams that want the first round pick likely have plans to rebuild and Pacioretty with 1 year on his deal wouldn't help them do that.

The Habs should trade Pacioretty to the highest bidder and keep their 1st round pick.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Doesn't make a lot of sense to package Pacioretty and our 1st rounder.

Teams that want Max likely have plans to contend and the 1st round pick wouldn't help them do that.

Likewise, teams that want the first round pick likely have plans to rebuild and Pacioretty with 1 year on his deal wouldn't help them do that.

The Habs should trade Pacioretty to the highest bidder and keep their 1st round pick.

I REAAAAAALLLLY hope that's what happens. But i have my doubts...

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
the only way i'm packaging the pick with Pac is for an under 25 years old top3 center signed for years. Of course that's not happening. By the way, the odds of Mtl drafting 4th is like 4%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->