Value of: Patches + 4thOA at the Draft

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
First off, I want to address the garbage idea that Max disappears in the playoffs before people start throwing a fit.

He absolutely was a ghost last season, but if you look at the greater picture of his playoff career, he posted solid post-season stats in both 2014 and 2015. His shooting %age, total shots, and point per game averages in the Habs two (somewhat) successful post-season runs quite closely reflect the point totals of players like Carter and Kopitar outside of their one amazing playoff run where they both clipped in at above a point per game.

People can choose to look at his most recent season to define his playoff contribution potential, but I can cherry pick back to back showings from even the most elite of playoff contributors such as Patrick Kane to show why a bad series is not indicative of a bad player.

The idea that he disappears in the playoffs and is a useless player when it matters is the 2018 version of "he is a perimeter player that got lucky" the first time he potted 30 goals.

He absolutely has value, and any intelligent GM in this league would happily trade for him at the right price. He is a two-way forward who regularly pots 30+ goals a season despite having average linemates and terrible centers. He is an all-purpose player who can be deployed in any situation, and effectively play at both ends of the ice.

On a team that struggles to score goals (LA) or a team that just wants to add another weapon to their arsenal for the next season (STL, EDM, ANA, DAL, CGY) he could be a perfect fit.

The other thing: The idea that he only has one year left on his contract, and thus he is less valuable, is also incredibly stupid. No NHL GM is going to trade for a player like Max at the draft looking at him as a one season rental, nor would Bergevin (I mean, I hope at least) be stupid enough to trade him at that value. The Habs could move him at a cap hit of 2.25m for the rest of this season, leaving a ton of wiggle room for teams to add at the trade deadline THIS year, but considering he will likely only ask for 6.5-7m next season, he can be fit under the cap of every team I named above.

The only team I would be (slightly) worried about is LA. This is simply due to the fact Doughty is up for a 3-4 million dollar raise the same time Patches would be asking for close to the same. They could easily do it, especially if they move a contract like Pearson or Phaneuf, but it wouldn't be so cut and dry.

Here are some trade proposals, what do you guys think the value of Patches or Patches + 4OA is worth at the draft? If you're going to say "he disappears in the playoffs we don't want him" just spare us both the time and don't bother lol

EDM: Klefbom + Puljujarvi for Patches + 4OA

DAL: Gurianov, Honka, Dallas's 1st for Patches + 4OA (Gurianov has struggled since being drafted)

STL: Fabbri, Kyrou and Thompson for Patches + 4OA (Fabbri is coming off of a season long injury, Thompson has struggled at the NHL level)

ANA: Sam Steel, Max Jones for Patches + 4OA (Neither Steel nor Jones has played a game in the NHL)

CGY: Rasmus Andersson, Dillon Dube, TJ Brodie for Patches + 4OA + two of this years second round picks

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Can't disappear in the playoffs if you don't qualify.

giphy.gif

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
3 way trade

Pacs to FLA for 1st (15OA) and Bjugstad
Habs 4OA & 15OA to Buffalo for ROR

For the record I'd rather just keep the picks and rebuild but don't have any faith that will happen

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
3 way trade

Pacs to FLA for 1st (15OA) and Bjugstad
Habs 4OA & 15OA to Buffalo for ROR

For the record I'd rather just keep the picks and rebuild but don't have any faith that will happen

Big big big overpayment for ROR. I probably wouldn't do 4OA straight up for him. I would offer 15OA, Juulsen and maybe add a 2nd rounder to it.

You end up with ROR and Bjugstad as your 2 top 6 center (far from the best teams in the league but still waaaaaaay better than what we have now) and get a top 7 pick.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Big big big overpayment for ROR. I probably wouldn't do 4OA straight up for him. I would offer 15OA, Juulsen and maybe add a 2nd rounder to it.

You end up with ROR and Bjugstad as your 2 top 6 center (far from the best teams in the league but still waaaaaaay better than what we have now) and get a top 7 pick.
if they'd go for it I'm in, Stepan got 7OA and ROR is better than him by quite a bit IMO

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Highest pick traded in the last 10 years was the Stepan trade last year. (7th overall) If the habs pick is at 6-7 I could see them dangling it for say ROR, but other than it, top 10 picks rarely get moved. Since 2008 it's around 5 times it's been moved.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
"He is an all-purpose player who can be deployed in any situation"

He's not a player I would put in any situation. He pots his goals but he's pretty damn invisible most nights, even when scoring. His value is in his goal scoring ability, not as this two way forward that can play in any situation.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
"He is an all-purpose player who can be deployed in any situation"

He's not a player I would put in any situation. He pots his goals but he's pretty damn invisible most nights, even when scoring. His value is in his goal scoring ability, not as this two way forward that can play in any situation.
I'm not arguing that he is amazing or agreeing with the proposed trades, but Pacioretty isn't a 1 trick Pony. He lead the forwards in ATOI, lead the team in PPTOI, and played the 3rd most forward SHTOI for the Habs. He is actually pretty good at all situations, like it or not he is trusted on all of them (I know his point totals sucked this year, but he's been consistent for most of his career).

Not showing up in the playoffs I can agree with though.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
First off, I want to address the garbage idea that Max disappears in the playoffs before people start throwing a fit.

He absolutely was a ghost last season, but if you look at the greater picture of his playoff career, he posted solid post-season stats in both 2014 and 2015. His shooting %age, total shots, and point per game averages in the Habs two (somewhat) successful post-season runs quite closely reflect the point totals of players like Carter and Kopitar outside of their one amazing playoff run where they both clipped in at above a point per game.

People can choose to look at his most recent season to define his playoff contribution potential, but I can cherry pick back to back showings from even the most elite of playoff contributors such as Patrick Kane to show why a bad series is not indicative of a bad player.

The idea that he disappears in the playoffs and is a useless player when it matters is the 2018 version of "he is a perimeter player that got lucky" the first time he potted 30 goals.

He absolutely has value, and any intelligent GM in this league would happily trade for him at the right price. He is a two-way forward who regularly pots 30+ goals a season despite having average linemates and terrible centers. He is an all-purpose player who can be deployed in any situation, and effectively play at both ends of the ice.

On a team that struggles to score goals (LA) or a team that just wants to add another weapon to their arsenal for the next season (STL, EDM, ANA, DAL, CGY) he could be a perfect fit.

The other thing: The idea that he only has one year left on his contract, and thus he is less valuable, is also incredibly stupid. No NHL GM is going to trade for a player like Max at the draft looking at him as a one season rental, nor would Bergevin (I mean, I hope at least) be stupid enough to trade him at that value. The Habs could move him at a cap hit of 2.25m for the rest of this season, leaving a ton of wiggle room for teams to add at the trade deadline THIS year, but considering he will likely only ask for 6.5-7m next season, he can be fit under the cap of every team I named above.

The only team I would be (slightly) worried about is LA. This is simply due to the fact Doughty is up for a 3-4 million dollar raise the same time Patches would be asking for close to the same. They could easily do it, especially if they move a contract like Pearson or Phaneuf, but it wouldn't be so cut and dry.

Here are some trade proposals, what do you guys think the value of Patches or Patches + 4OA is worth at the draft? If you're going to say "he disappears in the playoffs we don't want him" just spare us both the time and don't bother lol

EDM: Klefbom + Puljujarvi for Patches + 4OA

DAL: Gurianov, Honka, Dallas's 1st for Patches + 4OA (Gurianov has struggled since being drafted)

STL: Fabbri, Kyrou and Thompson for Patches + 4OA (Fabbri is coming off of a season long injury, Thompson has struggled at the NHL level)

ANA: Sam Steel, Max Jones for Patches + 4OA (Neither Steel nor Jones has played a game in the NHL)

CGY: Rasmus Andersson, Dillon Dube, TJ Brodie for Patches + 4OA + two of this years second round picks

all those trades are garbage.

Even chiarelli would say no

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
sure Fabbri is 95% of the time in the hospital

no way mtl wants to touch that anyways
Fine with me. Fabbri may come back may not, But i am super excited to see Kyrou Develop. Thompson is already playing middle six mins as a rookie. great shot big kid who needs to fill out.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I'm so confused by this thread. You start with a giant wall of text calling everyone stupid and propping up Pacioretty; I was fully expecting to see Patches + 4th for 1st, or something along those lines

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->