Pat Quinn's Legacy

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I've told this before a bit ago, but I'll tell it again.

My parents went down to Buffalo to watch a Buffalo-Toronto game way back when. They end up staying at the same hotel the Maple Leafs were staying in. So they got all checked in, and then went down to the Hotel lobby restaurant to grab some good.

However, just as they got down to the lobby, wouldn't you know, all the players started coming down to head to the game.

They got me signatures from Sundin, Kaberle, McCabe, and a few others.

However, security noticed them, and came over and started telling them to move away and let the players be. I guess Quinn was standing in the lobby, saw what was happening, smiled and walked over.

He told security not to bother them and that they were fine, and ended up talking to them for 15-20 minutes as the guys were getting ready. CuJo came down and they mentioned he was my favorite player at the time, and so Quinn called him over and got him to sign something for me.

I never got to meet him myself, however that story tells me all I need to know about the guy.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
Quinn was the kind of guy that people just respected him, he demanded respect just with his presence. For the most part not a real x and o's type of coach but could be in he playoffs but more so a guy a team wanted to play hard for. Loved the way he handled off ice and interviews ect. Great at deflecting media pressure off his players ect. My second favorite leafs coach behind Burns and ahead of Neilson. Think he was a better coach than GM though.

Completely agree with this. Not the best coach in the league but new how to handle his players and demanded respect.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I've told this before a bit ago, but I'll tell it again.

My parents went down to Buffalo to watch a Buffalo-Toronto game way back when. They end up staying at the same hotel the Maple Leafs were staying in. So they got all checked in, and then went down to the Hotel lobby restaurant to grab some good.

However, just as they got down to the lobby, wouldn't you know, all the players started coming down to head to the game.

They got me signatures from Sundin, Kaberle, McCabe, and a few others.

However, security noticed them, and came over and started telling them to move away and let the players be. I guess Quinn was standing in the lobby, saw what was happening, smiled and walked over.

He told security not to bother them and that they were fine, and ended up talking to them for 15-20 minutes as the guys were getting ready. CuJo came down and they mentioned he was my favorite player at the time, and so Quinn called him over and got him to sign something for me.

I never got to meet him myself, however that story tells me all I need to know about the guy.

Sounds like a real old school kinda guy. He probably remembers the days when athletes and fans lived and played side by side. These stories make me miss I'm even more.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
That's the thing, fans tend to give more credits to Burns and Gilmour than Sundin and Quinn. Even though, Quinn's Leafs were actually real contenders at that time. They just lacked Lady Luck to give them a bounce here and there. Can't wait for the current Leafs to be at that level.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
those teams from 99-04 were so fun to watch

I agree, one of my favorites was a come back against the Sabres. The game had everything, good goals, bad goals, physical, last minute tying goal, Mogilny's 1000th point, Sundin with 2 goals, huge saves, over time.. I had to go find the highlights after thinking about it and I am glad I did,

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I agree, one of my favorites was a come back against the Sabres. The game had everything, good goals, bad goals, physical, last minute tying goal, Mogilny's 1000th point, Sundin with 2 goals, huge saves, over time.. I had to go find the highlights after thinking about it and I am glad I did,

That is hockey at it's best.

You rarely see games like that now.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
Growing up it was the Leafs first and the Canucks second (soon 30th after Quinn left for Toronto coincidentally). He defined leadership for me. Even though I had some good teachers, coaches, and a good family life, I always wished someone with all their combined qualities like Quinn was around.

stymie

Oct 15, 2014
Used to see Pat around the rink when he was GM for the Canucks.

I turned a corner and walked right into him.

Stammered some bunk, shook his hand & hoped he would forget about this
clumsy oaf.

But he didn't.
He remembered me by name thereafter.
Or gave a wink, nod, thumbs up when on a mission.

Feb 24, 2004
1999 and 2002 aren't celebrated as much as 1993, but we had some great years with Pat Quinn. The big weakness with Quinn is he wasn't a great GM. Like most Leaf GMs since the expansion era, he completely neglected to build any kind of developmental system.

The thing is, there really was not much incentive for him to do that. The leafs had significant resources at their disposal.

I was around on these boards in 2006 - plenty of people wanted him gone at the end.

He was the man.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
those teams from 99-04 were so fun to watch

I missed those teams, the 99 team were the highest scoring team that season, game 6 in Pittsburgh.

2002, game 5 in Carolina. And the Mats Sundin last minute game tying goal in game 6.

Mogilny/Sundin duo in 03.

And that 04 team? The best Leafs team(regular season wise)in history. Even if you take away the OT loser points, they still had 100 pts that year. Amazing to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad