Confirmed with Link: Pat Maroon to NJ for 2019 3rd and J. D. Dudek

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah I'd like Coleman and Noesen to stay in the lineup if possible. They both work their butts off and are occasionally rewarded on the scoresheet at a rate I'd expect while contributing in other ways on a very consistent basis. Coleman is good for a bad penalty here and there but still worth having him around.
If coleman or Noesen are pushed to the press box, then I dislike the Maroon trade.

I like the depth, and I do need to see what Maroon brings, but those guys have earned their spots in the lineup.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Weird thing to say about a coach who moved two teenagers early in the season up to a top line role with an elite player because they earned it.

he did the same thing with santini. my concern wasn't that he wouldn't play younger guys, it's that once he removes them from the lineup they seem to stay in limbo, regardless of the results the team (or individuals) are getting. 2 completely different things

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Staff and/or Boyle should sit at this point.
Staff is out. I'd be pretty surprised if he isn't.

Question is when Gib's is back, who get's squeezed?

I think Boyle should at least be in the discussion, though I am not sure if that will be the case.

Maroon Zajac Grabs
Gibbons Coleman Noesen

Not sure if the Devils org has the balls to do it.

Reactions: Maine Fan and mtnet

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I think with a lot of the guys that are on the border of being scratchable, you can use the excuse of doing it for them to recharge their batteries. Boyle does have cancer after all, and I'm sure the disease and medications he may be on can affect your endurance. Bratt too considering he's an undersized, 19-year-old, who has never played more than 50 games in a season at the professional level.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Hey maybe we go with 13 F and 5 Dman!!! :nod::sarcasm:

I have no idea who will get scratched when Gibbons comes back. Maybe they just start rotating players to get them a game here and there off to rest until the playoffs. The biggest issue will come in MoJo returns and the rest are healthy.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Weird thing to say about a coach who moved two teenagers early in the season up to a top line role with an elite player because they earned it.

Plus Zacha was out of the lineup for weeks and eventually got back in, he didn't stay in the doghouse forever.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Its what stafford does when he doesn't have the puck that make him an ineffective player.. rarely wins a wall battle.. gives half effort in defensive zone...he is the least valuable forward on the team.. he possesses offensive skill for sure and in a jam can play on any line.. but there is no forward i want out of the lineup ahead of him

Fair points, if he's playing tomorrow, ill make an extra note of his off-the-puck play....

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Maroon is a solid player with an all around game that is built for the playoffs. He did nothing but impress last season. He's big, has good hands, plays the hard areas, and defends his teammates. I think that you have a player that the fans will get behind in NJ. Many fans in Edmonton are still in mourning since the deadline trade. Maroon can be a complete beast. Edmonton fans wish him the best!

Wouldn't mind seeing Hall and Maroon hoist the cup this year. Good luck, Devils.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Stafford is actually a career 31.3 shootout percentage. He's made 3/6 this year and had a couple breakaway and partial break goals (remember one vs Lundqvist earlier this year at the Garden)

I wonder if that's literally why he's still hanging around here? Basically being stashed away for the shootout.

Pretty sure that's why Viktor Kozlov was here in 05-06

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Stafford is actually a career 31.3 shootout percentage. He's made 3/6 this year and had a couple breakaway and partial break goals (remember one vs Lundqvist earlier this year at the Garden)

I wonder if that's literally why he's still hanging around here? Basically being stashed away for the shootout.

Pre-trade deadline sure...but now there's really no excuse to play him once Maroon puts on the uniform.

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017

He’s won them a few games... gotta give him that

Reactions: blood gin

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Pre-trade deadline sure...but now there's really no excuse to play him once Maroon puts on the uniform.

Yea pretty much. Young up and coming teams usually carry these veteran plug placeholders like Hayes/Stafford. Only think is you'd like to see better efforts out of them and more attention to defensive play. Next year we'll have McLeod here and we won't see guys like Stafford taking up space on this team for a long time as the roster further solidifies

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Nope.

It would be an okay theory if not for the fact he doesnt always get used in the top-3

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
If coleman or Noesen are pushed to the press box, then I dislike the Maroon trade.

I like the depth, and I do need to see what Maroon brings, but those guys have earned their spots in the lineup.

No way Noesen is going to the press box. Coleman doesn't deserve to either. Boyle needs some maintenance games and Stafford just kind of takes up space so he has to go.

Over 82 games Noesen is projecting to 13-14 goals, 18-19 assists. 33 points or so. He's a former 1st rounder, overcame a bad injury, late bloomer. He's still developing and improving. He needs to play.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
There is going to be some tough choices once Gibbons comes back. Even more so if MoJo comes back.

Hall Nico Palms
Wood Zacha Grabner
MoJo Zajac Bratt
Maroon Boyle Coleman/Gibbons/Noesen.

Now who knows if MoJo will come back. But it’s something that’s got to be thought about. It might be a game by game choice. What a more physical team put in Maroon and Boyle. Want speed Coleman and Noesen. Tough tough calls for Hynes.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mean it'll likely take care of itself one way or another...we can't really expect after not having a completely healthy roster all season we're suddenly going to have it every game going forward.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Stafford easily gets sat and I think from there you rest/rotate Boyle, Gibbons, Bratt. I don’t see Mojo coming back this year and I think we are all better off just forgetting Hayes exists ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad