Confirmed with Link: Pat Maroon to NJ for 2019 3rd and J. D. Dudek

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I'll have to wait till we get a couple games with him on the ice, but man its almost like I feel like 1 trade too many, maybe its only me having those thoughts, haha.

Of the 4th liners, obviously Stafford, but coaching does like him in some situations, and i can see he still has some jump i hate to say it. Boyle i feel has a presence that is needed as well, he hasn't been playing stellar, but he takes up a lot of space as a big guy, so you can use that kind of player when the playoff games get a bit grindy-er compared to regular season when probably more clutch and grab shit that would historically go on in post season.

Getting extra depth is always good, just this team is playing really well right now,...................

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Stafford has had some reasonable looks the last few games though, I know he gets blasted on this forum and his +/- is atrocious, but i don't think (recently) he's been totally trash, he's much better than 4th liners we had last year and year before :).

Also I can see where there is flashes of his historically younger self which was good player because he does make some nice strong plays in the offensive zone every now and then. Today he was driving hard to net twice in the 3rd, or 2nd/3rd, and he still seems to have good hands. Maybe its me just looking for silver linings.

But yeah, definitely he is probably one of the odd men out for the Maroon slot.

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ
Stafford has had some reasonable looks the last few games though, I know he gets blasted on this forum and his +/- is atrocious, but i don't think (recently) he's been totally trash, he's much better than 4th liners we had last year and year before :).

Also I can see where there is flashes of his historically younger self which was good player because he does make some nice strong plays in the offensive zone every now and then. Today he was driving hard to net twice in the 3rd, or 2nd/3rd, and he still seems to have good hands. Maybe its me just looking for silver linings.

I'm sitting Stafford. I do agree though, that comparing him to his own play this year, Stafford has been decent the past few games in his role.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Actually no. We dont need a middling RD
I think we've effectively replaced him with Sami Vatanen, even though people will say ''Well, they're different kinds of players'' or whatever.

And we gave away a pretty good forward to get Vatanen, but we didn't give an ELITE forward for Vatanen, that's for sure.

It can be easily argued that Vatanen is absolutely a better defenseman than Larsson, outside of a few gaffes that fail the eye test, which Larsson might pass.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I do think Bratt will get turns out of the lineup going forward once Gibbons is back. Best thing about this trade is it gives us plenty of alternatives on the wing for the rest of the season.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
They maybe give Bratt a game or two break and that spot can be taken by Maroon. At least on the game roster. Not sure who moves to RW to make room for him? Maybe Wood?

Boyle could use a break.

He has a lot on his plate off the ice and he's not produced nor contributing on face-offs in a long time.

A few games off could be good for him.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Boyle could use a break.

He has a lot on his plate off the ice and he's not produced nor contributing on face-offs in a long time.

A few games off could be good for him.

A rotation of games off might help all of Bratt Boyle and anyone secretly nursing an injury. The team has the depth and now is the time to take advantage of it.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

Its what stafford does when he doesn't have the puck that make him an ineffective player.. rarely wins a wall battle.. gives half effort in defensive zone...he is the least valuable forward on the team.. he possesses offensive skill for sure and in a jam can play on any line.. but there is no forward i want out of the lineup ahead of him

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
my concern with bratt coming out for a few games is i don't have any confidence hynes will put him back in. it's hard enough with mueller, but a forward? now that we have a massive excess of solid top 9 guys? yeesh. he may never rotate back in, barring injury

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
my concern with bratt coming out for a few games is i don't have any confidence hynes will put him back in. it's hard enough with mueller, but a forward? now that we have a massive excess of solid top 9 guys? yeesh. he may never rotate back in, barring injury
Weird thing to say about a coach who moved two teenagers early in the season up to a top line role with an elite player because they earned it.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

It's certainly a concern, but with the numbers game and seeing his minutes where they're at, I think it's a likely scenario. It'll depend on how they feel about Gibbons really, because I think Stafford is the odd man out for Maroon for sure. Gibbons' spot is now pretty redundant with the plethora of wingers we have, but I think he's built up a lot of goodwill for his season to this point that he'll be inserted back in when he's healthy. Whether he stays there will be another story.

I just hope Coleman stays in full time, guy has earned it.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Yeah I'd like Coleman and Noesen to stay in the lineup if possible. They both work their butts off and are occasionally rewarded on the scoresheet at a rate I'd expect while contributing in other ways on a very consistent basis. Coleman is good for a bad penalty here and there but still worth having him around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->