Pat Kane committed yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MomentsofSanity

Sep 20, 2005
London, ON
I have been wondering more and more with the passing weeks what the latest word on Pat Kane is and whether or not he will be making the jump to the CHL (London Knights) as was highly rumoured. Been looking all over and not a word to be found.

Anyone able to shed some more light on this?

the_game

Jul 12, 2006
no word yet.

Still up in the air from what I have heard. Basically 2 choices, either London (OHL) or going back to the US team and joining BU at Christmas.

I spoke with someone close to this situation last night who said if Kane went the college route it would be huge for the BU program, even if he only stayed for a year and a half then went pro. I know this is my first post so don't rip me apart for really stating the obvious here.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Still up in the air from what I have heard. Basically 2 choices, either London (OHL) or going back to the US team and joining BU at Christmas.

I spoke with someone close to this situation last night who said if Kane went the college route it would be huge for the BU program, even if he only stayed for a year and a half then went pro. I know this is my first post so don't rip me apart for really stating the obvious here.

He can't go back to the U.S. team. He's too old.

STS44

Apr 13, 2006
He can't go back to the U.S. team. He's too old.

If he is only planning on staying at BU for a season and a half - then turn pro - why bother going in the first place? From what I had heard was that education was important to his parents ( ie : a four year degree then pursuing pro hockey ) If he is only looking at college for a year and a half he can play in London for two full seasons against some of the best players in the world and raise his draft stock tremendously with good seasons. I'm sure something will develop on this soon enough ....

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
Yes, he can return to the U18s. He doesn't turn 18 until late November. Only participation in international events would be affected.

Why assume he would spend only 1 1/2 years in college if he chooses that route. The decision when/if to leave wouldn't be his alone. The team that drafts him would have a big say in that decision. It's recognized that Kane needs to work on his size and strength and no place is better equipped to help him do so than BU with its new state-of-the strength and condidtioning facility run by guru Mike Boyle, who also trains NHL players. He'd also be challenging himself against equally talented, but older--as a group--college players. While Major Junior rosters are full of 17 and 18 year olds and even some 16s, college rosters have a few 18s but mostly 19s and up.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
for kane's position, i dont think any other route makes sense besides major junior. hes in a similar position to mueller. he didnt accelerate, so he cant go to college yet. theres every indication that he could go as high as top 10 or top 5 in the draft if he has a good season, and major junior would really help his stock. bigd posted before that its not a done deal to london, and it looks like its 50/50 now because he hasnt announced anything yet.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
He doesn't need to accelerate (a la Toews) to go to the NCAA and he cannot return to the US U18 team because he is a late 88 birthdate. Same as Kessel or Mitera one year ago.

Rookie mistakes.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
Will the number of games that BU has before Christmas effect his descion? If it's heavy loaded before Christmas I say don't bother but if it isn't that many games maybe. I think it would make more sense to go to London.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
Will the number of games that BU has before Christmas effect his descion? If it's heavy loaded before Christmas I say don't bother but if it isn't that many games maybe. I think it would make more sense to go to London.

First of all, that is hardly a reason for making a college-major junior decision. However, BU has 14 games in the first semester, and 20 regular season games plus playoff games in the second semester. Last year, BU played six playoff games. With Kane in the lineup, and the addition of two excellent freshmen defensemen and a top goalie, they are likely to go much deeper in the NCAA playoffs.

Wherever he chooses, he'll probably spend Christmas in Sweden with the U.S. Junior National Team.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
He doesn't need to accelerate (a la Toews) to go to the NCAA and he cannot return to the US U18 team because he is a late 88 birthdate. Same as Kessel or Mitera one year ago.

Rookie mistakes.
He can return to the U18 team. He just can't play in international tournaments. When they play college and juniot teams his age is not a factor.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
He can return to the U18 team. He just can't play in international tournaments. When they play college and juniot teams his age is not a factor.
The US U18 team is for '89 birthdates. Kane is an 88. Same goes for Bill Sweatt, another late 88 b-date from last years' U.S. U18 team.

The actual birthDAY of Kane is irrelevant. Such things as U18 involvement is based on birthYEAR.

Jacky Robert

Aug 17, 2005
Chestnut Hill, MA
Kane is also considering Michigan, Ohio State, and Wisconsin. Considering the slow and prodding style of offense Boston University plays, he's best suited to play for London in my opinion.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
The US U18 team is for '89 birthdates. Kane is an 88. Same goes for Bill Sweatt, another late 88 b-date from last years' U.S. U18 team.

The actual birthDAY of Kane is irrelevant. Such things as U18 involvement is based on birthYEAR.
You are wrong. They have had overage players in the past. The only games they aren't allowed to play are International Tournaments. I know what i,m talking about, you don't! The U18 team playes a College schedule. They don't care if every player is under 18. That goes for the Junior teams. They had an 86 birth player on the 88 - U17 team. He is now playing at Michigan.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I'm pretty positive Kane could play for the NTDP U18 team this year. A number of others that hadn't accelerated thier studies did so in the past. The most prominent player I remember doing so was John-Michael Liles in the 98/99 season.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
You are wrong. They have had overage players in the past. The only games they aren't allowed to play are International Tournaments. I know what i,m talking about, you don't! The U18 team playes a College schedule. They don't care if every player is under 18. That goes for the Junior teams. They had an 86 birth player on the 88 - U17 team. He is now playing at Michigan.
So, if they are using players born before Jan. 01/89 (this season), it's not really a U18 team is it? It would be, at minimum, the U18 team jacked up with a few additional, older players.

Frankly, I don't get it. How can anyone call it a U18 team if it carries players who aren't under 18? Or do they have to suddenly quit the team on their 18th birthday, right near the beginning of the season, or maybe during a tournament? I've never heard of such a thing in all my years in hockey.

JJ24

Jul 1, 2002
Visit site
Considering the slow and prodding style of offense Boston University plays, he's best suited to play for London in my opinion.
Since your unbiased opinion also led you to post that "Jack Parker is a senile drunk.” and that Agganis Arena-which sold out 93.5% of seats last season—is “a white elephant,” anything else you post about BU is taken seriously by, let’s see, …only the two other stooges in the pinhead trio. Oh yes, "prodding"? You were trying say "plodding." :shakehead

Why don’t you throw in the standard “clutch and grab” label, too. Perhaps this was true a few years ago, but not anymore, and people who really know hockey--and who saw BU play last season--say so. Sorry, dar, it wasn’t a boring offense that scored just as many goals per game as BC and more powerplays goals. Did I mention that BU had 223 fewer penalty minutes last year than emerging clutch and grab kings BC? Spin that ! Like most of your posts, this one doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. Why do you even bother?

If BU’s style was actually a boring, grinding one rather than uptempo, then why after nearly two years of recruiting is BU still a finalist for Kane? Knowledgeable people agree it’s between BU and London.

Jacky Robert

Aug 17, 2005
Chestnut Hill, MA
Since your unbiased opinion also led you to post that "Jack Parker is a senile drunk.†and that Agganis Arena-which sold out 93.5% of seats last season—is “a white elephant,†anything else you post about BU is taken seriously by, let’s see, …only the two other stooges in the pinhead trio. Oh yes, "prodding"? You were trying say "plodding." :shakehead

Why don’t you throw in the standard “clutch and grab†label, too. Perhaps this was true a few years ago, but not anymore, and people who really know hockey--and who saw BU play last season--say so. Sorry, dar, it wasn’t a boring offense that scored just as many goals per game as BC and more powerplays goals. Did I mention that BU had 223 fewer penalty minutes last year than emerging clutch and grab kings BC? Spin that ! Like most of your posts, this one doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. Why do you even bother?

If BU’s style was actually a boring, grinding one rather than uptempo, then why after nearly two years of recruiting is BU still a finalist for Kane? Knowledgeable people agree it’s between BU and London.

What on Earth are you talking about? Are you denying that BU, over the last ten years, has turned into a dump and chase/grinding type of offense? Are you the psychotic whacko who jumped all over me last year for commenting on BU? Seek help, JJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad