Parise....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
So they all say he was underated at the draft....

What does this kid project to be like...?

Second lIne centre..? Marc Savard, Chris Drury..? Joe Sakic...?

Just curious thanks for any insight non Zach's play

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Qubax said:
So they all say he was underated at the draft....

What does this kid project to be like...?

Second lIne centre..? Marc Savard, Chris Drury..? Joe Sakic...?

Just curious thanks for any insight non Zach's play

My belief is that Zack is gonna be one heckuva player! And all those teams that passed him by are gonna regret it over and over for many, many years (ie. Ward over Hossa).

My view is that his style of play is somewhere between Doug Weight and Peter Forsberg...with the heart a LION! Much like his father, but unlike his father, with tonnes of natural talent to go along with his desire and toughness!

He's gonna be a good one!

X-SHARKIE

Parise was definitly a steal at 17th spot. The reason teams said no thanks on him is becuase he doesnt have the top end talent that other teams want in there first rounders. He fits perfectly in New Jersey, do they need a 80 point man? No...Parise is going to be like John Madden, where he is one of those guys that you notice him as being the best player out there some nites, yet he doesnt have a point in the game. Although I think his defense isnt like Maddens and his offensive game surpasses Johns. But you get the point.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here but there is a reason why he was bypassed 16 times. NHL scouts are a little bit smarter than we are and if they would have felt Parise was a better pick than the guy they chose, he wouldn't have went 17th overall.

I think hoping for Chris Drury is realistic. Hoping for Joe Sakic is not.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Don_Cherry said:
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here but there is a reason why he was bypassed 16 times. NHL scouts are a little bit smarter than we are and if they would have felt Parise was a better pick than the guy they chose, he wouldn't have went 17th overall.

I think Parise will be better than a 50 point player. Besides its not like the New Jersey scouting staff is a slouch.

Sammy*

JasonMacIsaac said:
Most teams drafting that early draft for needs, thats why their picking top 10 year after year. They always go for bigger players and hope they will turn out good. Parise is considered small by scouts because he isn't 6 feet (really really close). Hopeing for Drury is just plain wrong, you hope your 2nd and 3rd round picks turn out to be a 50 point man. Parise averaged more points then Vanek, plays better defense. Why did Vanek go top 10, size does matter for hockey scouts.
Of course size matters for 2 reasons. Firstly lots of midgets can score in amateur hockey but usually it doesnt translate into the bigs. Secondly, midgets mature quicker than big guys in terms of coridination (Thornton is a very good example as a guy who looked like a newborn colt as a rookie & 2nd year player), hence they have an advantage over larger guys in junior/college which tends to be lessened over the course of time.

Sammy*

JasonMacIsaac said:
Great points but its the Midgets that are soft that don't amount to anything, Parise is far from soft.
Though there are the very, very rare exceptions, virtually totally agree.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Don_Cherry said:

If ALL NHL scouts really knew what they are doing why did Sakic himself go 16th? Why did Pat Roy go 44th? Why did guys like Pavol Demitra, Dino the Dinosaur Ciccerelli, Stumpy Thomas, Curtis Joseph, Theoren Fleury, go so late in the drafts or not drafted at all while stiffs like Jason Bonsignore, Brian Lawton, Alex Daigle, Rico Fata, etc, etc, etc, go so early?

The truth is, the scouts often know no more than the average hockey fan with a keen eye.

NOt only that, the scouts are so afraid to lose their jobs that they go for the safe picks, which translate into SIZE. As was said before on these boards a few years back, a small man has to prove that he can play while a big man has to prove that he cannot play!

When will scouts realize that most of the superstars in the league are small guys? Gretz, Sakic, Stevie Y, Dougie Gilmour, Theoen Fleruy, Sergei Samsonov, Paul Kariya, Ziggy Palffy, Saku Koivu, Martin St. Louie, the list goes on and on...it's just that they rather be wrong picking a 6'4" Jason Bonsignore than take a chance of 5'9" Daniel Briere.

I've seen alot of hockey for a lot of years...and believe me, Zack Parise was one of the very few who lifted me out of my seats when I first saw him play! At the WJC, year before his draft (or the winter before his draft) he was basically controlling the tempo of the games that he played against kids who were mostly 2 years older than himself.

I've been saying this for quite a while now and I'll say it again. This kid is gonna come back to haunt a lot of GM's for many years to come and many people in hockey are gonna lose their jobs because of this young man.

Mark my word!

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Parise seems to be a bit overhyped.

Doesn't matter, he is probably my favorite player from this draft. I have a performance at the WJC on tape and have watched it a few times. I think he was the most impressive player there, even better than Higgins but it was close.

It is a no-brainer pick by the Devils. At this rank, they have to be VERY satisfied. I think the guy has a high ceiling potential and also that he is one of those guys who, even if he doesn't reach his top potential will be VERY servicable to NJ. He just fit this team like a glove.

However, when all is said and done, I believe many players in this 2003 draft will have a greater impact than him. It's just that I feel many are riskier. I don't feel as confident projecting them than I am with Parise.

The guy just has everything I want in a hockey player. He will be very good. He may even surprise me and be one of the best of the 2003 crop. I want to see him play more and I have a feeling he will be one of my favorites.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
JasonMacIsaac said:
I am going to talk to owner of the Eagles to get tapes of all the games at center 200 (sydney) Higgins had a way bigger impact then Parise in the game vs Russia, game that means most. USA played a horrible game as a team but Higgins, Tallackson, and Gleason (for a period) were the only ones who played well.

I couldn't see that. Wish I could have, though!

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
David said:
My belief is that Zack is gonna be one heckuva player! And all those teams that passed him by are gonna regret it over and over for many, many years (ie. Ward over Hossa).

My view is that his style of play is somewhere between Doug Weight and Peter Forsberg...with the heart a LION! Much like his father, but unlike his father, with tonnes of natural talent to go along with his desire and toughness!

He's gonna be a good one!

IS CROSBY BETTER THAN PARISE RIGHT NOW?? I THINK SO!

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
HabLover said:
IS CROSBY BETTER THAN PARISE RIGHT NOW?? I THINK SO!

I am not sure how this relates to what was posted here.

But to answer your question, Sid is better now than Parise was at his age. Sid actually was coached by Zach's father last year at St.Mary's and Sid was further along than Zach, who was also coached by J.P. than when Zach was 15.

But please don't get me wrong. I think that this can be attributed to Sid's potential greatness rather than to Zach's limitations.

For more on young Zach's accomplishments and early comparisons (however valid this may be), check this out. You'll get an idea for the make up of Zach Parise.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam020102/col_francis-sun.html

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
All i've seen of parise was the 03 WJC but he looked very good in all areas of the game.His creativity and hockey sense are superb not to mention his work ethic.I considered Parise a notch above Steen as the best 2 players there.There were others that were either faster or tougher or some other strong suit but as far as completeness those 2 really stood out.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
David said:
I am not sure how this relates to what was posted here.

But to answer your question, Sid is better now than Parise was at his age. Sid actually was coached by Zach's father last year at St.Mary's and Sid was further along than Zach, who was also coached by J.P. than when Zach was 15.

But please don't get me wrong. I think that this can be attributed to Sid's potential greatness rather than to Zach's limitations.

For more on young Zach's accomplishments and early comparisons (however valid this may be), check this out. You'll get an idea for the make up of Zach Parise.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam020102/col_francis-sun.html

Parise's stats from the Mac's don't mean much considering 90% of Canada's or even the USA's top player's don't play in that tourney at 15, never mind 16 or 17 yrs of age. The stats, while impressive, cannot be compared to anything. What kind of points would Lemieux, Lindros, Sakic, Thornton, Lecavalier, etc. put up for three years from 15 to 17? I'm sure they would've been mind boggling! And btw, where are Gomez and Nedved now??....do they even still play in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->