OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Thanks. I'm not sure how the NFL works with their contracts, so good to know.

I also assume that Bighill won't be back in New Orleans though, just by virtue of the fact he'll be 30. Teams seldom waste practice roster spots on 30 year olds. If Bighill isn't in their plans for an everyday role on special teams or better, I would be shocked if he were back with the Saints next year.

Good to know. Thought he was still on the futures contract, but forgot that he was technically released and a free agent before signing with the practice squad the first time. Still, I agree with Y2K in that I'd be shocked if he signs another deal with the Saints.

True - at his age it probably doesn't make sense for either side. He probably wants to play and they can allocate that spot to a younger guy. But unless he signs in the meantime, he won't be under contract at the end of the season and can sign back in the CFL.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
True - at his age it probably doesn't make sense for either side. He probably wants to play and they can allocate that spot to a younger guy. But unless he signs in the meantime, he won't be under contract at the end of the season and can sign back in the CFL.

Do you know if he has qualified for an NFL pension based on his limited play this season? I know he's been in a few games on special teams. If he's qualified for an NFL pension then I could see him more willing to go back to the CFL rather than sticking around on another practice squad for another year with maybe even less playing time next season.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Do you know if he has qualified for an NFL pension based on his limited play this season? I know he's been in a few games on special teams. If he's qualified for an NFL pension then I could see him more willing to go back to the CFL rather than sticking around on another practice squad for another year with maybe even less playing time next season.

No, I don't think so. I think it's 3 years and there's a games requirement in each season as well. I think it's only 3 games though, so since he's been active for 3 games this season would be the 1st towards the pension.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
No, I don't think so. I think it's 3 years and there's a games requirement in each season as well. I think it's only 3 games though, so since he's been active for 3 games this season would be the 1st towards the pension.

Ahh thanks. Well in that case he may try to stick down there for another year. Really tough to say though.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Not sure if any one has being keeping up with league-wide news, but new Commissioner Randy Ambrosie has some pretty big ideas that would see major changes to how the league operates.

1. A TV deal with the NFL Network. Their current deal with ESPN ends after next season. I don't see this as a money making opportunity but more of an exposure opportunity. College fans like following their alumni, and football fans down south are starving for live football in the summer.

2. Moving the start of the season to late May and having a late October Grey Cup. One issue would be the timing of the CFL and NFL drafts. CFL draft would like be moved back but the timing of the NFL draft and an early-May start of CFL training camps could be a tight turnaround for undrafted free agents. The other, and bigger, issue, is going up against Stanley Cup playoffs.

Whether they come to fruition or not, I'm happy to see a Commissioner asking "what if" instead of maintaining the status quo. Hopefully he gets on TSN to bring their in-game production out the early 2000s.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Not sure if any one has being keeping up with league-wide news, but new Commissioner Randy Ambrosie has some pretty big ideas that would see major changes to how the league operates.

1. A TV deal with the NFL Network. Their current deal with ESPN ends after next season. I don't see this as a money making opportunity but more of an exposure opportunity. College fans like following their alumni, and football fans down south are starving for live football in the summer.

2. Moving the start of the season to late May and having a late October Grey Cup. One issue would be the timing of the CFL and NFL drafts. CFL draft would like be moved back but the timing of the NFL draft and an early-May start of CFL training camps could be a tight turnaround for undrafted free agents. The other, and bigger, issue, is going up against Stanley Cup playoffs.

Whether they come to fruition or not, I'm happy to see a Commissioner asking "what if" instead of maintaining the status quo. Hopefully he gets on TSN to bring their in-game production out the early 2000s.
Quite a few American NFL fans I've exposed to the CFL game have told me they find it more 'hectic and exciting' than the NFL.

I love the current 'No Lead Is Safe' motto and I think the CFL should roll with that.

The more crazy games are, the better.

Right now it has no more than a 'cult following' in the US, but I think it could get to a level around F1 racing in the US.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Quick was a great player. Spent his first few CFL years as a member of the Evil Empire but then switched to the good guys. Sad to see him go at that age but quite honestly it's not unusual at all for former pro football players. Tough biz.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
if anyone thinks a cfl athlete is a bum they’re out of their mind, most players dominated college football and are twenty times the athlete a regular person is.

You'd be surprised how many people (some of them are on these very boards) think a college team can beat a CFL team. But ignorance is bliss, and everyone is an expert these days because they play Madden on expert or won their fantasy league.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth
Feb 24, 2017
You'd be surprised how many people (some of them are on these very boards) think a college team can beat a CFL team. But ignorance is bliss, and everyone is an expert these days because they play Madden on expert or won their fantasy league.
I don’t know the exact numbers but only a very small percentage of ncaa div 1 football players ever play pro, be that nfl, cfl, or whichever other league exists at any given time. Most ncaa div 1 football players are not good enough to crack the cfl.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I don’t know the exact numbers but only a very small percentage of ncaa div 1 football players ever play pro, be that nfl, cfl, or whichever other league exists at any given time. Most ncaa div 1 football players are not good enough to crack the cfl.

It's under 2% for the NFL, CFL and Arena League.

Even looking at the results from the CFL National Combine, the numbers are in the ballpark with NFL numbers. They're obviously better on the NFL side, but it's not like the CIS guys are on a far away planet with their numbers.

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

I think Rob Fai from TSN1040 even suggested that some of the top college teams could beat the BC Lions last year. Such utter stupidity.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
HEY!

All of you. Yea especially you. Lions just released the single game tickets and the prices are way better. Theres a $20 General Admission area now. And London Drugs has promotional things going too. Look into them. Buy tickets. Go support your team. Have fun. Get your ass out of the house. Wear orange. Yell at people from Saskatchewan. Kids tickets are cheap.

Seriously. Let's try and get a movement going and get people back into the stadium. I'm going to try and get to as many games as I can with my messed up work schedule.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Adam Bighill was released by the Saints. Could be headed back to BC.

The Lions are also talking to Micah Awe about a return, and former Eskimos linebacker Dexter McCoil.

Doubt we have the cap room, but it would be a huge coup if we could land both Bighill and McCoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad