OT: Parabola Memorial B.C. Lions Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Parabola (Kevin) was a moderator here for many years and an ardent Vancouver Canucks and BC Lions fan. Kevin had a difficult life and faced challenges that most of us simply cannot relate to. His final battle ended amid complications from spina bifida and cancer in September of 2015.

This thread is in Kevin's honour.

Kevin, with the Grey Cup.

aJ9Q7W.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

member 116861

Is it just me or does anybody else agree that TJ Lee and especially Ronnie Yell are incredibly overrated?

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Is it just me or does anybody else agree that TJ Lee and especially Ronnie Yell are incredibly overrated?

Not at all. To be "incredibly" overrated they would have to be projected as future HoFers by someone wouldn't they?

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

Not even sure what you mean. It's not like they are marketed as the saviors or the ones who'll be driving to the promise land. I think they are good footballers and probably don't get enough credit for their work.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Ty Long out-kicked him at camp. Probably injury concerns, salary and term consideration. Waters was signed to a 6-figure contract, that expires at the end of this season whereas Long is under contract until the end of next season, at the league minimum.

Waters was injured. Long struggled hard in game one. He improved in the next two, but honestly he had nowhere to go but up after Edmonton. Waters is one of the better kickers in the league, if they were concerned about paying him.... why did they pay him in the first place??

I am still not convinced Long is the guy over the course of 18 games.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Stupid decision. Does wally really think long will be able to handle the pressure of the playoffs. This decision will come back to bite them

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'm not the biggest CFL fan around but if this move let's us get an NFL cut or two onto the roster isn't it a win? I mean who would we rather have a solid kicker or Bighill?

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
This move makes perfect sense. Long is cheap and signed through next year. Waters is a bit overated off that one season and making a lot of coin to be sitting on the sidelines. I wouldn't be shocked if this frees up money to sign bighill when he gets released by the saints.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Stupid decision. Does wally really think long will be able to handle the pressure of the playoffs. This decision will come back to bite them

I think Wally is questioning whether or not Waters would even be available in the playoffs. He also apparently struggled with kicking in practice last week and this week.

I'm not the biggest CFL fan around but if this move let's us get an NFL cut or two onto the roster isn't it a win? I mean who would we rather have a solid kicker or Bighill?

This is another consideration. NFL camp is about to start up, and the Lions are interested in bringing back Bighill and Bo Lokombo if either are cut. Also offensive lineman Brett Boyko, who is out of NFL practice roster opportunities. If he doesn't make an NFL main roster he will be cut and become a free agent.

Overall though, I think this highlights the massive blunder it was to trade away Jovan Olafioye in a cap clearing move. You don't clear cap space from your O-line...you find another position to skimp out on.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

That's not an option at this point in time, so it's moot.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I think Wally is questioning whether or not Waters would even be available in the playoffs. He also apparently struggled with kicking in practice last week and this week.

This is another consideration. NFL camp is about to start up, and the Lions are interested in bringing back Bighill and Bo Lokombo if either are cut. Also offensive lineman Brett Boyko, who is out of NFL practice roster opportunities. If he doesn't make an NFL main roster he will be cut and become a free agent.

Overall though, I think this highlights the massive blunder it was to trade away Jovan Olafioye in a cap clearing move. You don't clear cap space from your O-line...you find another position to skimp out on.

I just don't have any confidence in Long. The lions have traditionally found the most success with veteran kickers. I guess we'll see if this was the right decision

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I just don't have any confidence in Long. The lions have traditionally found the most success with veteran kickers. I guess we'll see if this was the right decision

Lets not forget that Long is a young kid with really good leg strength. He has all the attributes needed to succeed in the CFL. He played for a pretty big school down south and still holds multiple records for them. He knows what it's like to play big games. He just needs to play to gain experience and confidence in the CFL.

I have no issues with the decision. I feel we bailed on Whyte too soon because of his inexperience and the ups and downs that come along with it but he's turned out to be one of the better kickers in the league now. I have a feeling Long with end up being a pretty good kicker.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
In Hamilton this afternoon.

Any of you guys who are on Twitter maybe give Manny Arceneaux a follow.

https://twitter.com/mannyshow84?lang=en

He tweets out these inspirational messages and he just doesn't receive a lot of likes or retweets. Not sure why with over 8,000 followers. Maybe we can help him a little. He's a great guy.

You can give me a follow too if you want. I'll return it.

https://twitter.com/ChairmanMaouth

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
In Hamilton this afternoon.

Any of you guys who are on Twitter maybe give Manny Arceneaux a follow.

https://twitter.com/mannyshow84?lang=en

He tweets out these inspirational messages and he just doesn't receive a lot of likes or retweets. Not sure why with over 8,000 followers. Maybe we can help him a little. He's a great guy.

You can give me a follow too if you want. I'll return it.

https://twitter.com/ChairmanMaouth

Emmanuel's a friend of mine and a really good person. He does a lot of work with kids, always has a positive attitude, and an overall great person who keeps out of trouble. He's not someone who I see staying out late at bars and hitting on women...like ever.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Does Vandervoort even play? Been waiting to see him play in a game soon. Hopefully today?

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Jennings with a crap throw. He's hurt and Lulay is in.

Not as if Jennings has been lights out this season anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->