GDT: Panthers vs. Rangers - 3/10/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I'll go ahead and say Luongo looked a tad fatigued last night. He looked a little slow.

Wouldn't mind Reimer tomorrow and get a rested Lou for Wednesday
Agreed. Luongo has been awesome but I'd rather not drive him to the ground. Give Reimer the Ottawa game and have Lou rested against Boston. We have a very busy schedule ahead, need him healthy.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Agreed. Luongo has been awesome but I'd rather not drive him to the ground. Give Reimer the Ottawa game and have Lou rested against Boston. We have a very busy schedule ahead, need him healthy.
I'll go against the grain and say play Reimer against Boston, and Lu against Ottawa. Lu just doesn't do well against the Bruins.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The F group looks strong. We just need a better 4th line C and Boughner to not play Haley so much.

The weakest link on this team is Pysyk. Tallon and co. need to upgrade that spot.

4th line is something I was thinking needs to get stronger, but it should on it's own as the competition for spots gets tougher at F.
You just have to hope Haley isn't Boughners favourite.

Depch

Aug 27, 2006
Delete account
I'll go against the grain and say play Reimer against Boston, and Lu against Ottawa. Lu just doesn't do well against the Bruins.

I like that idea. Go with the stronger goalie for Ottawa & Edmonton games and try to secure 4 points from there. Let Reimer have a chance to come big vs Boston and let him play vs Montreal as well. Luongo gets then again Ottawa & Columbus.

Luongo gets two 3 day rests in a short span this way.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Play Lu until semi-comfortably holding a playoff spot (ex. 3 points ahead of 9th place with 1+ games in hand), and then you can consider giving Lu off nights. Minimal trust in Reimer.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I'd swap Vatrano and Malgin as necessary but yes, this would be the best lineup we could ice.

Likely won't happen though.

Yeah I'd keep Vatrano on the second line, playing him Huby and Tro gives him the best chance to succeed.

Put Malgin on the third even though they've been good. I think would make them even better.

Either Mamin or McGinn on the fourth... Maybe Mamin?

Time for Boughner to show he doesn't play favorites and bench Haley. He's clearly the most redundant piece.

Ice the best lineup... period.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
4th line is something I was thinking needs to get stronger, but it should on it's own as the competition for spots gets tougher at F.
You just have to hope Haley isn't Boughners favourite.

The fourth line wasn't bad outside of giving up the Hayes goal, which of course makes it a bad game....but they had some great shifts where they maintained possession and got a few chances.

They definitely play hard and offer some intangible qualities, but I just don't know what you do with that line in a playoff series against a quality opponent.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The fourth line wasn't bad outside of giving up the Hayes goal, which of course makes it a bad game....but they had some great shifts where they maintained possession and got a few chances.

They definitely play hard and offer some intangible qualities, but I just don't know what you do with that line in a playoff series against a quality opponent.

I wasn't basing my 4th line comment on 1 game.
It's just a potential problem(massive one) against Tampa on round 1, especially with Tampa having home ice advantage.

Reactions: Haj

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
So McGinn now has 20 points in 60 games.

About 27 points over a full season....So he is overpaid by roughly 500k if going by just the 1 mil for 10 points rule...not terrible.

He has been really good for a little over a month now. Overall happy with him..love the triple M line.

Mcginn looks good on the 3rd line with McCann and Mamin.

Plays a simple game, very physical, go to the net.

Ideally, he would play on the fourth line.

I was impressed with the way Vatrano found soft spots near the net to set up. Definitely has some scoring instincts. I predict he becomes a fan favorite.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
I wasn't basing my 4th line comment on 1 game.
It's just a potential problem(massive one) against Tampa on round 1, especially with Tampa having home ice advantage.

I agree with your assertion, I just don't know how it affects the locker room say if Mckenzie got benched.

My point is this: As fans, we look at Haley and Mckenzie as being below average 4th liners from a production/matchup standpoint....which they are....but can't quantify what they mean to the team from a leadership perspective.

I know that it is traditional hockey thinking. Maybe it doesn't matter as much as I think it does.

Boughner has been outcoached at times letting the 4th line go up against top 6 lines on opposing teams. They've been getting caved in possession wise all season.

The upper echelon teams have far superior forward depth. Florida won't be one until they figure out a roster with that depth.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I agree with your assertion, I just don't know how it affects the locker room say if Mckenzie got benched.

My point is this: As fans, we look at Haley and Mckenzie as being below average 4th liners from a production/matchup standpoint....which they are....but can't quantify what they mean to the team from a leadership perspective.

I know that it is traditional hockey thinking. Maybe it doesn't matter as much as I think it does.

Boughner has been outcoached at times letting the 4th line go up against top 6 lines on opposing teams. They've been getting caved in possession wise all season.

The upper echelon teams have far superior forward depth. Florida won't be one until they figure out a roster with that depth.
My guess is that Boughner would keep them on but play the top three lines more. I think coach will limit the fourth line minutes a lot more in playoffs. And when they are out there, their job is to forecheck and disrupt. Scevior will probably get more time on other lines.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Barkov didn't look as quick as usual last night, but we still found a way. I wonder if that knee/ankle tweak that occurred bothered him in the 3rd/OT... Hopefully, it's nothing.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
weird how theres now 10 guys i want in the top-9. i dont want any of them necessarily on the 4th, and honestly, i dont think any of them will be as i doubt they break up the 4th. from a psychological/locker room moral sorta deal i actually dont wanna bench haley. most likely itll be mamin sitting out, which sucks because i love how hes been playing, but i doubt mcginn is getting benched i also like what he brings, hes our hardest checking player in the top-9 and its nice to have some physicality. and vatrano brings a ton of speed and goal scoring potential. i wonder if vatrano can take malgin's spot on the 2nd and having malgin come back on the 3rd, or if itll be vatrano moving down to the 3rd. i thought the 3 of them looked good together yesterday. absolutely love vatrano's speed. i think dads is the fastest on the team but it could be a toss up honestly, he looked really fast when he was booking it.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
weird how theres now 10 guys i want in the top-9. i dont want any of them necessarily on the 4th, and honestly, i dont think any of them will be as i doubt they break up the 4th. from a psychological/locker room moral sorta deal i actually dont wanna bench haley. most likely itll be mamin sitting out, which sucks because i love how hes been playing, but i doubt mcginn is getting benched i also like what he brings, hes our hardest checking player in the top-9 and its nice to have some physicality. and vatrano brings a ton of speed and goal scoring potential. i wonder if vatrano can take malgin's spot on the 2nd and having malgin come back on the 3rd, or if itll be vatrano moving down to the 3rd. i thought the 3 of them looked good together yesterday. absolutely love vatrano's speed. i think dads is the fastest on the team but it could be a toss up honestly, he looked really fast when he was booking it.

The only Wy to keep Mammin up with the Team, when Malgin comes back, is to place him on the 4th Line and then you have different Option.
One chance that will never happen but could be a crazy Idea, bench Haley and then play Sceviour- Mammin-McKenzie/Brickley/Haley.
Dadonov-barkov-Bjugstad
Huberdeau-trocheck-Malgin
McGinn-McCann-Vatrano
Sceviour-McKenzie-Mammin

with that Lines you give the whole Team more strength. and you could bench McKenzie and place brickley or Haley, so fourth Line could adjust as you like.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
My guess is that Boughner would keep them on but play the top three lines more. I think coach will limit the fourth line minutes a lot more in playoffs. And when they are out there, their job is to forecheck and disrupt. Scevior will probably get more time on other lines.

It's a big deal in the playoffs if you have to shelter your fourth line. Huge disadvantage especially in away games.

I don't know, I think it's a miss by Boughner if he sticks with Haley in the lineup. He just doesn't bring anything and the whole fighting thing has gone way overboard. It's not jump starting anyone anymore, like we saw against the Rags. The team probably played the worst period in months after Haley's fight lol.

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
Am I the only one okay with a 1A/1B goaltending tandem until the playoffs? Reimer and Lou both look good right now, so why not let one get rest every other game?

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Am I the only one okay with a 1A/1B goaltending tandem until the playoffs? Reimer and Lou both look good right now, so why not let one get rest every other game?
Because the chances of good Lu showing up is way higher than good Reimer showing up.

Reimer looks like David Price in the playoffs on most nights, espeically if he lets one in early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad