GDT: Panthers vs. Rangers - 3/10/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I thought the second and third line were good. Only Bjugstad showed up tonight on the first line but that line has been incredible so nbd since we won.

Lou with two soft goals in the third but came up big in the shootout.

Huberdeau needs to be taken off SO duties. Reminds me of Jokinen being put out too often. Guy lost his mojo.

Pysyk is the weakest link. That pinch, so unnecessary. Might be worth swapping his spot with Petrovic.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Rangers must have watched some film. They took away easy outs on the boards.

1st Line had a bad game.

Pyksyk never pinches, so his pinch was ill timed and surprising.

The Rangers played a better game, they should have won. Luongo bailed us out.

Reactions: RainingRats

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
another huge win, thank god. nice to see vatrano get on the board in his first game, almost had one before that too from huberdeau. what surprised me the most about him was his speed, i didnt know he was that fast. hes got some wheels too. we really are starting to have a fast team between him, mccann, mamin, dadonov, etc. was hoping theyd use him more in the 3v3 for that reason.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I love the shots of the bench reactions. Go check out the Rangers broadcast after Tro wins it. I wish the Florida broadcast showed more of these. Almost kinda odd that the visiting team broadcast showed a fixed camera shot of the home bench but the home broadcast doesn't.

I think it was McGinn bowing to Sasha. I like that every line is getting solid chances, even the 4th line had an awesome shift. Even better that Sasha's line was pretty much shutdown (except for Jugger who beasted tonight) the 2nd & 3rd lines factored in. @RainingRats correct about Lu's two softies but made some nice saves and a couple of big ones in the shootout.

EDIT: Panthers do have the bench shot but the Rangers one was way better. Full-on face shots.

-ghoste

Last edited:

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Lou with two soft goals in the third but came up big in the shootout.

I am am an unabashed Luongo fan.

With that said, both Zibanejad and Hayes' goals were, IMO, perfectly placed in the top left corner above Roberto's shoulder on his stickside, so I ask you this: how could Luongo have played either of those shots better?

If anything, the MZA shootout goal annoys me more. Now THAT qualifies as soft to me. Coming in from the angle MZA did, I have no idea why Lu didn't dare him to go backhand. Midget plays with a damn vaulting pole; Lu should have called his bluff and poked the puck away. It was nice, however, to see Luongo's lateral movement look good on that attempt; the groin held up well.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
So McGinn now has 20 points in 60 games.

About 27 points over a full season....So he is overpaid by roughly 500k if going by just the 1 mil for 10 points rule...not terrible.

He has been really good for a little over a month now. Overall happy with him..love the triple M line.

Reactions: Haj and Chaos2k7

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
i dont know how many times i have to say this until it gets fully absorbed into the ether and becomes reality. Huby must not be used in the shootout. he hasnt been good at it since his rookie year. he loses control of the puck as often as barkov doesnt. its insane. hes also slower than ekblad at skating if thats even possible. its so weird to me when players are elite at a hyper specific thing like passing and suck at so many other things. pysyk was his usual terrible. i had no idea why he was given the 3 yr contract over petro when petro was our best defensive d man last yr by a mile. but its the panthers so whatd i expect. barkov was hideous except for the shootout which i used to say a lot and havent in a very long time. lets hope thats not a thing again. we continue to be the worst OT team in the nhl its literally astonishing. when i saw ek and hub out there at the same time i felt like i was watching a slow motion replay. we got our asses kicked this game theres no 2 ways around it. its the 2nd time weve literally robbed the rangers of a win this year. for whatever reason we match up attrociously against them. if we make the playoffs, which seems like a big if when nj and cbj NEVER lose, the opposition needs to watch tape of rags cats games and they should be set to destroy us if they werent going to already.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Your F group is becoming pretty fast. Vatrano& Malgin only makes it faster, add Borgstrom& Tippett in the future and there's a strenght for you.

The constant pressure the skating allows is not easy to match up.
Yanlde& Matheson from defense especially are good fits for that style.

SimbaThePanther

Jul 3, 2015
Sweden
Good to get the W tonight, not their best game but it will do. Can't expect to dominate every night, just got to dig in when they don't...and they did. Rangers shut down the Barkov line very well, but that's when it becomes great to have 2 lines that can score and dominate play. The Trocheck line stepped up and played very well. Liked what I saw from Vatrano, he played very well for his first game back for a while and he really did surprise me how well he did. Great to see him get a goal too.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL

With that said, both Zibanejad and Hayes' goals were, IMO, perfectly placed in the top left corner above Roberto's shoulder on his stickside, so I ask you this: how could Luongo have played either of those shots better?

If anything, the MZA shootout goal annoys me more. Now THAT qualifies as soft to me. Coming in from the angle MZA did, I have no idea why Lu didn't dare him to go backhand. Midget plays with a damn vaulting pole; Lu should have called his bluff and poked the puck away. It was nice, however, to see Luongo's lateral movement look good on that attempt; the groin held up well.

The Hayes shot was through traffic so I can live with that one more than the Zibanejad goal no reason for Lu to be that far away from the post.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

Nah, Zibanejad was not perfectly placed, rather, Luo was out of position, too far off the post. Hayes was a good shot but Luo had a shot at it and got beat way too cleanly. He even said after the game he should have had those two.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
So McGinn now has 20 points in 60 games.

About 27 points over a full season....So he is overpaid by roughly 500k if going by just the 1 mil for 10 points rule...not terrible.

He has been really good for a little over a month now. Overall happy with him..love the triple M line.
Yup, I was a big time critic of his but he's starting to get close to being worth his contract. Still overpaid but I like the element he brings. He had some nice hits too. That third line tries to hit everything and adds some offense here and there.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Your F group is becoming pretty fast. Vatrano& Malgin only makes it faster, add Borgstrom& Tippett in the future and there's a strenght for you.

The constant pressure the skating allows is not easy to match up.
Yanlde& Matheson from defense especially are good fits for that style.
The F group looks strong. We just need a better 4th line C and Boughner to not play Haley so much.

The weakest link on this team is Pysyk. Tallon and co. need to upgrade that spot.

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Dadonov - Barkov - Bjugstad
Huberdeau - Trocheck - Malgin
Mamin - McCann - Vatrano
McGinn - Mack - Sceviour

Should be the playoff team. Haley won't be needed every game down the stretch, mostly for the BOS games maybe.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Dadonov - Barkov - Bjugstad
Huberdeau - Trocheck - Malgin
Mamin - McCann - Vatrano
McGinn - Mack - Sceviour

Should be the playoff team. Haley won't be needed every game down the stretch, mostly for the BOS games maybe.
Haley has missed one game this season. Don't see Boughner scratching him unfortunately. Mamin has 2 points in 16 games. I'm a big fan of Mamin and like the third line as currently constructed but he's going to sit, imo.

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Haley has missed one game this season. Don't see Boughner scratching him unfortunately. Mamin has 2 points in 16 games. I'm a big fan of Mamin and like the third line as currently constructed but he's going to sit, imo.

I can see that but Mamin is often the first forward in the O zone and first one back in D zone. The points will come, just don't see how you can sit him based on production but ultimately Boughner knows Haley better so that's probably what will happen.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Rangers must have watched some film. They took away easy outs on the boards.

1st Line had a bad game.

Pyksyk never pinches, so his pinch was ill timed and surprising.

The Rangers played a better game, they should have won. Luongo bailed us out.

If Henry didn’t play out of his mind in the first its a 4 or 5 goal lead. Panthers only had 9 or 10 shots but they were almost all high quality scoring chances. Both goalies played great last night its not like Lu was a brick wall facing 50 shots and Lundqvist was letting in easy ones. Agree the first line was off. Thats one of the worst games they’ve had in a while but the second and third lines picked up the slack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->