GDT: Panthers vs. Oilers - 3/17/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
Our schedule is totally opposite than it should be. We lose to weaker teams in standings. It would be hilarious is if we swept Boston and won Columbus only to lose to Arizona, Ottawa, NYI and Buffalo

Not hilarious, typical, and expected. They've done this before. No bottom 6 means they're driving those top scorers into the dirt. Offensively, 16 does not look the same the last 3-4 games. It sucks. Let me consult my list to see if we're on track for a normal Panther season. Change coaches/players✔ Have a poor start/injuries until the new year✔ Make a run after All-star break✔ Run out of gas and come up short___ Golf in April/talk about draft and how great the future looks___. This is a budget team and is run as such. A couple weeks to go!

Reactions: PanthersHockey1

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I was the first one with this idea, albeit not having specifically Borgstrom replacing him but anyone talented with a shot. :)
"Muffin Man".........yeah, I remember. I must have missed any recent trade suggestions. Jonny has improved his shot and overall game since then but his shot is no where near what Borgstrom has in his arsenal. He is having a tough time lately with in the GVA dept and I don't know what the problem is. Could be an injury or his linemates aren't giving him the support he needs when they don't have the puck. In any case, he is still a valuable commodity that could maybe fetch a 3/4 prospect that is ready for the show plus a draft pick or an incumbent from a team that is overstocked. I wouldn't rule out a goalie either. The expansion draft will likely go 7/3/1 and I can see them exposing Ek if they haven't moved him (especially if the skating continues and he doesn't get stronger). They would have to protect Yandle plus Matheson is a given. In any case, they are going to lose a valuable player or prospect as they can't protect everyone. :)

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
... The expansion draft will likely go 7/3/1 and I can see them exposing Ek if they haven't moved him (especially if the skating continues and he doesn't get stronger). They would have to protect Yandle plus Matheson is a given. In any case, they are going to lose a valuable player or prospect as they can't protect everyone. :)

But why are we exposing/trading a 25-26 year old Ekblad and not protecting all 3 defensemen? If anything we trade Yandle who will be 34-35 years old who has 2 years left on his deal.

Can you explain this to me? All based of his skating and the contract? What are your expectations for #5? More points? More bone crunching hits? I guess I just don't see what you see.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
But why are we exposing/trading a 25-26 year old Ekblad and not protecting all 3 defensemen? If anything we trade Yandle who will be 34-35 years old who has 2 years left on his deal.

Can you explain this to me? All based of his skating and the contract? What are your expectations for #5? More points? More bone crunching hits? I guess I just don't see what you see.
He hates ekblad. Simple as that

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
LOL!

I guess they had 42 shots and that rationalizes the fact they can't be burn't out. It's not just in the legs, it's between the ears. They are mentally tired my good man.

Oh, and I'm still on vacation, so you can chalk it up to a wild guess. :)
Watch the game...

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
"Muffin Man".........yeah, I remember. I must have missed any recent trade suggestions. Jonny has improved his shot and overall game since then but his shot is no where near what Borgstrom has in his arsenal. He is having a tough time lately with in the GVA dept and I don't know what the problem is. Could be an injury or his linemates aren't giving him the support he needs when they don't have the puck. In any case, he is still a valuable commodity that could maybe fetch a 3/4 prospect that is ready for the show plus a draft pick or an incumbent from a team that is overstocked. I wouldn't rule out a goalie either. The expansion draft will likely go 7/3/1 and I can see them exposing Ek if they haven't moved him (especially if the skating continues and he doesn't get stronger). They would have to protect Yandle plus Matheson is a given. In any case, they are going to lose a valuable player or prospect as they can't protect everyone. :)

So you want to trade a near-PPG winger for a "3/4 prospect" and a draft pick or a worse player?

Normally I'd present some kind of argument, but I really think that idea of yours speaks for itself.

Reactions: Vilam and Beezeral

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
It seems the Panthers get a little cocky when they have success against the better teams in the league. Idk whether they assume they'll win with some late game magic, or if their cockiness leads them away from what worked against the better teams. It's not a new phenomenon with them.
Many hanging this loss on Lu, and while those two he wishes he had another crack at were bad goals to surrender, he made many other stellar saves that he probably shouldn't have. Although that only makes those two softies all the more frustrating.
I only got to see the last few minutes of the second (shortly after Vinnie scored), and I missed the first few minutes of the third. This loss was well deserved by the team, not solely Lu's fault. They went 0 for 6 on the PP! I saw a team playing the worst I've seen them play in quite a while. Their passes were either errant, intercepted, or fumbled by receiver. Loose pucks always seemed to come to an Oiler. They never won a race for the puck, and were out battled if they did. On the GWG three guys went to McDavid, leaving the whole other side open for Larsson to walk in. Then Rattie all alone setting up for the tip in seemed to distract Lu, he prevented the tip in attempt but ended up letting it sneak under him. Shit happens. All that matters now is how they bounce back from an all around sub-par game.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014

Just like Smith, I don't hate him.........I dislike the contract and his history of concussions. At $5.5M he would be earning his keep if he stayed healthy.........and that's a big if to me. I think he is one good hit away from retirement.

Let's face it, Tallon wanted that trade for McD because he doesn't like what he sees from Yandle/Ekblad. The question is whether he can pick up anything in the trade market during the off-season. Have to wait and see how much of a leash Viola gives him if he is still here. :)

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i personally love having yandle and having a true puck mover like him is critical to have. hes playing great, not that old, hes got one of the longest games played streaks and i dont see that stopping anytime soon, so hes not breaking down or anything. and guys like him arent as physical and can play longer. hes got a nmc so itd be harder to move. i wanna keep him.

matheson is signed for the longest, also the cheapest of the three. his game has come around big time, has actually put up double digit goals and hopefully thatll continue. his speed, agility, stamina, and skating ability are huge assets to have. as he gains more confidence he'll become better and better. i was more for possibly trading him earlier in the season but hes come around a lottttt since then and i feel way more comfortable having him now. if he keeps it up, or even improves, hed be locked in for a real long time at what would be a great cap hit (especially with an increasing cap ceiling).

ekblad i like but id probably be the most willing to move him. even though hes a lot younger than yandle i still think a yandle-type is much more vital to have and the age doesnt scare me. ekblad's skating has always been a crutch, idk how his conditioning is, not known to be a puck mover, definitely great for scoring goals and can defintiely expect that from him. defense is alright. hes the most expensive of the three players, also locked in for a real long time, and does have a concussion history. i also think he could very well bring in the most between the three considering yandles age and matheson still being relatively unknwon by most. ekblad is mr 1st overall, rookie of the year, exceptional player status, etc, puts up goals and perceived by many im sure to be really high end. trading him could return the most, shed the most salary, and still remain strong with move movers and highly skilled skating D (yandle and matheson).

say for instance if they were honestly serious about going after karlsson. id let ekblad be the main piece in that assuming we're allowed to talk with him before hand (karlsson) and get a deal done before any trade is done.

overall, as it sits now im happy with all 3. we still need to add a proper 4th. and im very hppy with huberdeau despite not being his usual self since leaving the first line. i dont think hes a natural fit for trocheck and would actually love to pair him on the 3rd with borgstrom and really run thre strong lines, especially considering trocheck kinda just carries his line on his own. malgin works well with him and vatrano could be another option for the other side.

Reactions: peterbiz09
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad