GDT: Panthers vs. NY Islanders - 12/4/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Realistically, they need to move on from Vrbata and Mckenzie, use the season as an extended audition for Haapala, Hunt, Hawryluk, Mamin

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Realistically, they need to move on from Vrbata and Mckenzie, use the season as an extended audition for Haapala, Hunt, Hawryluk, Mamin
I mean it's come out now that he was given a multiple year extension by ownership not management, so I don't foresee him being bought out or not playing.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Hey guys, usually I try to get to the games when the Isles are in town but couldn't go last night. I was stunned by the amount of empty seats on the TV screen yet some of you here said the atmosphere was pretty good. Honestly, how many people were really in the building last night?

What is the main issue this season? 93 goals against is pretty bad but not the end of the world. Is this just a losing the one goal games type thing? When I look at the goals for it ranks midway in the league but seems really top heavy. Is the Bottom 6 that bad offensively?

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Hey guys, usually I try to get to the games when the Isles are in town but couldn't go last night. I was stunned by the amount of empty seats on the TV screen yet some of you here said the atmosphere was pretty good. Honestly, how many people were really in the building last night?

What is the main issue this season? 93 goals against is pretty bad but not the end of the world. Is this just a losing the one goal games type thing? When I look at the goals for it ranks midway in the league but seems really top heavy. Is the Bottom 6 that bad offensively?

I seriously don't get why people give a shit about this. You see threads about it all the time.

It's not really complicated. South Florida is a fair weather sports market, if we suck, people don't go to the games. It's not like this franchise has ever been good to begin with, except for the dynasty season of 15-16.

If someone offered me free tickets, I'd still think twice about going. 45 minute drive, plus $20 to park, plus food/drinks, etc. You end up spending close to a $100 to watch a team suck. I can do that from the comfort of my own home.

Yeah I'm ready to sell.

Get rid of Petrovic, Pysyk, Vrbata, McGinn, MacKenzie, Haley, Brickley, and Bjugstad (if we can bait someone into taking him).

This team has so much dead weight it's sad.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I think Vrbata and McGinn are for sure gone at the deadline, if not, sooner. Sceviour and Mack also could be gone as well to teams looking for cheap rental for playoff run.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I think Vrbata and McGinn are for sure gone at the deadline, if not, sooner. Sceviour and Mack also could be gone as well to teams looking for cheap rental for playoff run.

I thought that too about McGinn but he does carry a 3.33 mil cap hit for next year.
While not terrible, it's not that great either for cup contending teams.
I think he may stick around while we wait for the young guys to hopefully make the jump.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Lol....is it still popular to hate on Bjugstad? I get it, he isnt scoring goals, but what does he have...7? vs Our Leader at 10?

Bjugstad is actually outputting some good numbers while being 10th on Quality of Teammates TOI and close to last on CF%quality of teammates.

The hate is just humorous at this point. The dude put in work this summer. Worked on his skating for his new position.

Last edited:
Reactions: I am not exposed

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Lol....is it still popular to hate on Bjugstad? I get it, he isnt scoring goals, but what does he have...7? vs Our Leader at 10?

Bjugstad is actually outputting some good numbers while being 10th on Quality of Teammates TOI and close to last on CF%quality of teammates.

The hate is just humorous at this point. The dude put in work this summer. Worked on his skating for his new position.

Lol now we’re taking Denis’ word to the bank? Funny everyone always rags on him until it’s convenient.

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida
If someone offered me free tickets, I'd still think twice about going. 45 minute drive, plus $20 to park, plus food/drinks, etc. You end up spending close to a $100 to watch a team suck. I can do that from the comfort of my own home.
Only suckers pay to park. It's an extra 5 minutes to walk if you park at the mall across the street.
But yeah, I agree with what you said.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Bjugstad looks like his old self, pre back injury, with some better two way play.

Not upset with his play so far. Just needs to keep it up and try to stay at a .5 ppg+ level

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016

I admit, I like to hate Bjugstad.

I just don't like him as a player. I feel he just isn't smart enough on the ice (example yesterday in that 3vs2 situation in overtime in this game when Ho-Sang fell down). He's been a defensive liability. His passing is very imprecise and often he just throws the puck somewhere around when the puck has to be delivered in exact place. His puck control often leaves a lot to be hoped. He doesn't use his size enough and is soft. He hasn't shown good constant chemistry with Barkov or Trocheck. Or anybody else. Also he isn't ever in the captaincy/leadership discussions despite having played second-most games in this team after Huberdeau.

I don't see him as a cornerstone player like many do(Tallon...). Because of his weaknesses I have hard time to see him even as a complementary player to have around Barkov or Trocheck. He just... rotates around the lineup and puts 30 to 40 points a season for 4.1 million.

If any team in the NHL is ready to pay assets equal to what is paid in the market for a 2nd line forward or even less, I don't think the management should hesitate to trade him away.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
sell off petrovic, maybe pysyk, sceviour if you can get a 3rd, mac if possible....for anything, vrbata. mcginn has another year left so he'll be here till next tdl.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
sceviour and bgustad are a no go as far as trading in my opinion. both players bring good things to the table. i can see petro and vrbata traded, but not for picks! same old same old on this board. the threads and analysis for the most part don't change from day one to now no matter how the team, or players do. team still has a shot. don't know why the keep playing vrbata.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Our problem going forward is not down the middle. It is on the wings. On defense. And in goal.

Need to hope our prospects like Borg, Masch, Ang and Tippett (to name a few) can keep on developing.
Defensively, our "core" is on the roster. Once again development is key, and avoiding concussions for Ekblad. 'Goalie I'm not too worried about. May not have a great goalie every year, but I believe we strike gold again in that department via a trade.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
For a "winger" to take 100+ draws is actually a lot. And winning them at a high clip when you dont take them as much is actually pretty good.
He's a very good FO man and has been aided by the new rules. Being tall with a long reach, Nick has more leverage than a shorter guy who has to try and jump the drop by crossing the line. That's why so many are being tossed from the circle:)

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I think most would have to admit that Bjugstad is not a bust this season. So the argument has moved from a binary good/bad to a more sliding scale of how good is he actually. I think he's surprised a bunch of folks this time and is improving as the season is progressing.

Oddly enough, I think the same about the team, including the coach and Tallon. They're not far off. They're now in every game. If Luongo was on top of his game or Reimer found a new gear or we had someone of Bobrovski's quality, the win-loss numbers could be reversed. In which case everyone would be talking playoffs instead of tanking.

It's a fine line. We're close, one or two players away, either by acquisition or improvement. Only MacK and Vrbata are in my doghouse right now. Maybe it's because I have low expectations this year that I can take a step back and say, forget the past, this team actually does have a future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad