GDT: Panthers vs. Jets - 12/7/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Hardly more than adequate. Thanks to last night's outburst we're up to 15th overall goals for per game.

This team is inconsistent offensively.
I am sorry but to see people complaining about an offense that is above league average when they're 29th in GAA would seem to be misguided.

Focus should start going off players like Bjugstad and McGinn and towards Pysyk, Petrovic and Matheson.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I feel having tough guys nowadays is overrated at times.

What's more important is having your head on a swivel at all times.

Just seems with the new rules these guy who run over players can either turtle/hide behind the refs after they throw a questionable hit. Very rarely do they get "punished" by another player.
Very simple solution to that. Many teams like to match their top lines against each other from time to time, especially when they get the last change at home. You just put Haley in place of Bjugs for a shift or two and let him lay some big hits on guys like Little, Scheifele or Ehlers. On the forecheck Haley will get opportunities to lay some big hits on Trouba. Petro is also very good at the physical hit and could do the same thing. I've noticed that when we play the leafs they aren't as eager to get physical with our top guys since Petro ran over Marner last year. :)

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Petro is also very good at the physical hit and could do the same thing. I've noticed that when we play the leafs they aren't as eager to get physical with our top guys since Petro ran over Marner last year. :)

I'd reckon that Petro is saving himself for must-win games. No reason to sideline himself over petty stuff after being injured for 33 games in the last season.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Very simple solution to that. Many teams like to match their top lines against each other from time to time, especially when they get the last change at home. You just put Haley in place of Bjugs for a shift or two and let him lay some big hits on guys like Little, Scheifele or Ehlers. On the forecheck Haley will get opportunities to lay some big hits on Trouba. Petro is also very good at the physical hit and could do the same thing. I've noticed that when we play the leafs they aren't as eager to get physical with our top guys since Petro ran over Marner last year. :)

I suppose. Haley is faster than Thornton(who isn't though lol) and can throw some hits.
Feel Petrovic could, but this year he's been in a funk.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I don't think having a few less points while getting less ice time, no PP time, and having worse linemates is a single out of context stat.
Bjugstad has 13 points (7 goals), Haley 7 points (2 goals). You say "a few less points", I say Bjugstad has nearly double the amount of points that Haley has.
I could also say that the only Panthers forwards with more points that Bjugstad are H-B-D and Trocheck, who have all played significantly bigger minutes than Bjugstad. (And no, I don't think Bjugstad is better than H, B or Tro).

I'm curious, how do you think the majority of fans see Bjugstad?

Reactions: I am not exposed

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I am sorry but to see people complaining about an offense that is above league average when they're 29th in GAA would seem to be misguided.

Focus should start going off players like Bjugstad and McGinn and towards Pysyk, Petrovic and Matheson.
I didn't say anything about the defense. Just said the offense isn't as good as you make it out to be.

More than one area of this team needs improvement

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I didn't say anything about the defense. Just said the offense isn't as good as you make it out to be.

To be ranked 13th with this group, even when healthy, is impressive and sad at the same time.

Sad that this is our forward depth, but impressive at least we are 13th which is an improvement so far over last year(23).

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
barkov out means 34min for trocheck now or something? hopefully dougie large bought an iron lung for the arena.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I'd reckon that Petro is saving himself for must-win games. No reason to sideline himself over petty stuff after being injured for 33 games in the last season.
Well he got injured by blocking a shot where it broke a bone in his lower leg. He has played better as of late (minus leaving Reimer unprotected). Had 3 hits last night and they weren't soft. I think he is showcasing himself well enough to garner some interest around the league. I certainly think he wants out if they can find a trading partner but there is still the problem of bringing up an experienced #7 D man from Springfield. Brown is likely the best candidate but has no NHL experience. Experience didn't stop the Cats from bringing up both McCoshen/Weegar, so who knows. :)

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

But it's also the defense that's not producing at 5 v 5 lol all Florida forwards have pretty good numbers relative to their minutes.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Well he got injured by blocking a shot where it broke a bone in his lower leg. He has played better as of late (minus leaving Reimer unprotected). Had 3 hits last night and they weren't soft. I think he is showcasing himself well enough to garner some interest around the league. I certainly think he wants out if they can find a trading partner but there is still the problem of bringing up an experienced #7 D man from Springfield. Brown is likely the best candidate but has no NHL experience. Experience didn't stop the Cats from bringing up both McCoshen/Weegar, so who knows. :)

If I were Petro, I wouldn't be exactly increasing trade value but rather chances of getting a good contract for the next couple of years and being injured doesn't help him to achieve that. Who knows if the wants out but the address for him could be basically any club out there since he's not exactly some high value target who you could see in one or two different uniforms.

Everything about us is either mediocre or terrible. Offense, defense, and goaltending.

You can thank Scott Luce and Dale for that. We're still in the rebuild phase even though it is year no. 7 or so in the making.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
If I were Petro, I wouldn't be exactly increasing trade value but rather chances of getting a good contract for the next couple of years and being injured doesn't help him to achieve that. Who knows if the wants out but the address for him could be basically any club out there since he's not exactly some high value target who you could see in one or two different uniforms.

You can thank Scott Luce and Dale for that. We're still in the rebuild phase even though it is year no. 7 or so in the making.

Believe me I do.

Both of them are morons and Luce should be arrested.

The naysayers will say we’re only in the rebuild because “management blew it up”.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
The season is young yet. Being played over 23 minutes a game will eventually catch up to anyone, especially when you have a durability issue like Barky.

Then we have all the genius' who thought Haley should sit. Come back and comment when you can evaluate talent. :)
There isn't enough data to pass judgment on Barkov's long term durability, particularly for a non-subject matter expert. Moreover, acknowledging his increased yet injury free ice time acts to improve his durability metric rather than degrade it.

Regarding Haley, I don't understand the connection to Barkov or my posting history .... but I think Haley is a decent addition to the team and a good role player.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

How could you increase interest when you let your Goalie and your Part of the Ice open. Maybe he can gain some Romm and Place as a Physical Player but what does it help me when i always let the Ice open and someone slide in and Score. Or been so puck focused that even an elephant on the Ice could sneak behind me.
Which Team should be interisting in that kind of play not a single PO Team would go after him and thats most likely Teams asking for a 7th D-Man for the PO.
Does this kind of play increase his chance of a good Contract, hell no. Tough Guy with height or even small pick some up fresh from the Tree.

So im still womdering what is his plan. No real improvment, only in the calmness and outlet passes. Still Puck focused, still doesnt watch around where his Men is, placement on the Ice fail, Physical presence a bit better.
The only trade that maybe could happend 7th D-Man for 7th D-Man, there is no kind of great Pick you get for him. Contract re-signing him i really would pass on him, in the current state and Way he play.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
There isn't enough data to pass judgment on Barkov's long term durability, particularly for a non-subject matter expert. Moreover, acknowledging his increased yet injury free ice time acts to improve his durability metric rather than degrade it.

Regarding Haley, I don't understand the connection to Barkov or my posting history .... but I think Haley is a decent addition to the team and a good role player.
There isn't? Watta ya need, 20 yrs? 82 game season and the last 4 years have been 51, 74, 66, and 61. Stop with the analytic analysis metrics. The guy breaks down more than a Yugo. :)

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Lol at people taking shots at bjugstad.. absolute joke. Currently outplaying his contract and looks to be trending up still. Significant improvement on defense and is becoming well above average to be honest. Usually he's the one gaining control and making a play to break it out... on pace for 20-20... the way he's playing can see him going in a hit streak too... amazing what a bit of health and confidence does

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
There isn't? Watta ya need, 20 yrs? 82 game season and the last 4 years have been 51, 74, 66, and 61. Stop with the analytic analysis metrics. The guy breaks down more than a Yugo. :)
There isn't enough data yet. Context is important. He came into the league as a 17-yo. It's not surprising that in the first two-three years he'd have some injuries. In fact, maybe the question should be posed in the opposite - was he rather durable for the rigors of an NHL season as a teenager? That's a better context.

Also, one year he missed 5-10 games because he unwisely used his glove hand to block a shot from the blue line. That was a totally unnecessary injury.

You need to become more of an impartial scientist type rather than a sensationalist reporter type, if you want me to take your medically tinged posts without lol'ing. Although I do appreciate the humor factor, so there's always that.

Reactions: FinlandPanther
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->