GDT: Panthers vs. Avs - 12/9/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Winning does bring fans but is relocation still possible? The building looks scary empty most of the time.

Too bad Rocco wasn't up. What's the gig with him anyway? Is he just going to be an AHL lifer?

-ghoste

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Left at 2-1 to go see The Disaster Artist (really good movie). Did a triple take at the score when I got home lol

Winning does bring fans but is relocation still possible? The building looks scary empty most of the time.
On December 8th 2015 by a 5-3 vote Broward County agreed to provide the Panthers a financial package for 86 million to keep the team in Florida until 2028. Panthers ownership has an outclause (I believe it's July 1st 2023, where they are able to opt out of the last 5 years of the deal at a termination cost of 72 million). This is contingent on there being 100 million in losses through the 1st 7 seasons (a certainty). Florida also has to give (iirc) 1 year notice, so in 2022 you'll know if it's their last year. It's a ridiculously front loaded deal

Year Annual Cumulative
1 2015 2016 12,000,000 12,000,000 18,000,000 Not Applicable
2 2016 2017 12,000,000 24,000,000 30,000,000 Not Applicable
3 2017 2018 10,000,000 34,000,000 40,000,000 Not Applicable
4 2018 2019 10,000,000 44,000,000 50,000,000 Not Applicable
5 2019 2020 8,000,000 52,000,000 58,000,000 Not Applicable
6 2020 2021 8,000,000 60,000,000 66,000,000 Not Applicable
7 2021 2022 6,000,000 66,000,000 72,000,000 Not Applicable
8 2022 2023 6,000,000 72,000,000 72,000,000 Not Applicable
9 2023 2024 4,000,000 76,000,000 72,000,000 72,000,000
10 2024 2025 4,000,000 80,000,000 64,000,000 64,000,000
11 2025 2026 2,000,000 82,000,000 56,000,000 56,000,000
12 2026 2027 2,000,000 84,000,000 48,000,000 48,000,000
13 2027 2028 2,000,000 86,000,000 40,000,000 40,000,000
Total Payments 86,000,000
Average Annual Payment 6,615,385

http://www.broward.org/Arena/Documents/ExecutiveSummary10-13-15.pdf

72 of the 86 million is paid out that 1st 8 years, and yes, you're reading that correctly, 12 million in taxpayer money is currently going to our clown owners. The buyout is the 72 million that was paid returned to the county.

Last edited:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I've noticed a lot of relocation worry recently and the above post details why you shouldn't be worried. December 8th 2015 was a huge day for this franchise.

Now this doesn't address the debate of if the knowledge that you're at least watching this franchise until 2023 should be viewed as a good thing :laugh:

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Same old, same old. Expected the loss with Barkov-Dads-Lu out. At least Malgin looks good.

I'm starting to get annoyed by Mr. Invisible Man Vrbata. I had pretty low expectations for him but I still thought he'd be more useful. Meh.

Hunt hasn't been terrible but he's got no points in 11 games (one fluke assist doesn't count). We've got bigger problems but I'd still send him down and call up Mamin, give him some NHL experience and maybe it sparks something on that third line.

The top of this draft is loaded with D and wingers. Falling for whoever's there at the 5th-9th spot.

Last edited:

SimbaThePanther

Jul 3, 2015
Sweden
Yeah, who needs that 30 goal scoring scrub.

Sure, but the point is the team can score goals, but they have major problems on defense. Having March would do nothing to fix that.

Speaking about defense. What is up with Weegar, have I missed something? Thought he looked really good in his last few games, now he can't seem to get back in despite 2-3 players would be scratch-worthy back there. Him and Matheson looked good together...

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Sure, but the point is the team can score goals, but they have major problems on defense. Having March would do nothing to fix that.

Speaking about defense. What is up with Weegar, have I missed something? Thought he looked really good in his last few games, now he can't seem to get back in despite 2-3 players would be scratch-worthy back there. Him and Matheson looked good together...

They cant score goals when Luongo stands on his head. Reimer comes in net it seems they always able to score 3-5 goals. Go figure. Always been like that

Reactions: Chaos2k7

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017

It's both things IMO. Just looking at yesterday's lineup - second line McGinn-McCann-Malgin, third line Hunt-Scev-Vrbata - shows how much we lack depth. Smith and Marchy would help greatly in that area.

At the same time, there's no question that the D and the goaltending are an issue. They look good for a while and then they make idiotic mistakes - inexperience, new system, bad communication? Pysyk regressed, Petro looks flat out terrible at times, Matheson digging the somphomore slump plus being anxious because of that big new contract, McCoshen is very promising but he's a rookie. And where is the Reimer from last year? If anyone can find him, I'd really like that guy back...

Re: Weegar, my guess would be he's out while we're showcasing Petrovic for trade purposes?

Reactions: I am not exposed

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I've noticed a lot of relocation worry recently and the above post details why you shouldn't be worried. December 8th 2015 was a huge day for this franchise.

Now this doesn't address the debate of if the knowledge that you're at least watching this franchise until 2023 should be viewed as a good thing :laugh:

On top of all the info you've posted, the NHL does not want relocation, they want expansion. All the owners will get around $22-25 million each when Seattle gets their team, they got somewhere around $16-17 million with Vegas. So Viola will probably be sticking around for that, if he does sell the team, the new owner can't move the team for 7 years IIRC, per Elliot Friedman.

Great8Cam

Nov 2, 2008
I think the reason for the new pronunciation of Petro is to lull the other GMs into thinking we have a new D man from Eastern Europe that they will want to trade for.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
On top of all the info you've posted, the NHL does not want relocation, they want expansion. All the owners will get around $22-25 million each when Seattle gets their team, they got somewhere around $16-17 million with Vegas. So Viola will probably be sticking around for that, if he does sell the team, the new owner can't move the team for 7 years IIRC, per Elliot Friedman.
They can petition the league for approval to move but they need an 80% vote from the Board of Governors. Not gonna happen. The moral of the story is......Let the buyer beware........just like the recent sale of Carolina contingent on team staying in Raleigh. Cats are here till the lease is up in 2030. :laugh:

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I know most in here, including me, know that the playoffs are a looonnnggg shot, but it gets annoying when you read about trade rumors but nothing happens.

Are other teams asking for Tippett, Masch, Ang, Borg etc? Or is Tallon too afraid to give up a 3rd rounder to get a goalie, or move Petro for a winger?

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

I think it would. It would help us maintain more offensive pressure which would mean the other team wouldn't be on the attack as much. The best defense is a good offense, imo. It would also help us put games away. Last night when we had the lead, maybe another goal gives a better chance at victory.

March and Smith wouldn't fix this team but they'd help.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I know most in here, including me, know that the playoffs are a looonnnggg shot, but it gets annoying when you read about trade rumors but nothing happens.

Are other teams asking for Tippett, Masch, Ang, Borg etc? Or is Tallon too afraid to give up a 3rd rounder to get a goalie, or move Petro for a winger?
When you look at Tallon's trading history here, when has he made an aggressive move? He's a low risk trader which stalls your team if the opportunities don't magically present themselves. There are only going to be so many Campbells, Luongos, Jagrs, etc. Jagr was a bolder than average move but at a minimal cost.

The best trades recently have been Gudbranson which got us McCann and Ang for Gudbranson and Hayes for Smith. Neither of those were Tallon moves. At the time, not obvious wins either. Hayes had a good season and we all know about Gudbranson. Pysyk for Kulikov was good last year but has fallen off a cliff this year somehow. Also could be viewed as a good trade and good cap deal for Kulikov and Gudbranson.

SimbaThePanther

Jul 3, 2015
Sweden
I think it would. It would help us maintain more offensive pressure which would mean the other team wouldn't be on the attack as much. The best defense is a good offense, imo. It would also help us put games away. Last night when we had the lead, maybe another goal gives a better chance at victory.

March and Smith wouldn't fix this team but they'd help.

I don't really disagree with you, as I have the same mentality when it comes to team sports. However, it only gets you so far, eventually the cracks will re-appear as no team can go a full season playing that kind of offensive pressure that would be required. Right now, as soon as the Panthers make a big misstake they get punished. No amount of offense will help in the long run if the team can't stay focused in their own end. Unless we want to try and win 5-4 every night etc. I always feel like this team can blow a lead at any time, even if they were up 3-1 last night I wouldn't have been surprised to see them drop the lead anyway.

If they are looking to showcase Petrovic right now, fine...but at least scratch Pysyk for Weegar then. Maybe Pysyk's head can get back on, like Matheson did after his scratch....unfortunate he is back to being unstable. Maybe cause he is paired with Pysyk again?

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I don't really disagree with you, as I have the same mentality when it comes to team sports. However, it only gets you so far, eventually the cracks will re-appear as no team can go a full season playing that kind of offensive pressure that would be required. Right now, as soon as the Panthers make a big misstake they get punished. No amount of offense will help in the long run if the team can't stay focused in their own end. Unless we want to try and win 5-4 every night etc. I always feel like this team can blow a lead at any time, even if they were up 3-1 last night I wouldn't have been surprised to see them drop the lead anyway.

If they are looking to showcase Petrovic right now, fine...but at least scratch Pysyk for Weegar then. Maybe Pysyk's head can get back on, like Matheson did after his scratch....unfortunate he is back to being unstable. Maybe cause he is paired with Pysyk again?
Well look at the games we have won against good teams recently. Rangers and WPG. We outscored them by scoring a lot! So it does and can work. The league is so close that every extra drop of offense can help. As I said, it wouldn't fix this team but there's no way having March wouldn't help.

Could be the pairing for Matheson. My biggest concern with Matheson is when he has bad games, they're horrible horrible games. Pysyk has been awful too. Some players have down years and if we have 1/2 of our second and third pairing guys with down years it's going to be bad hockey all around. An offseason and a new veteran d-man in bottom4 is probably only cure.

Matheson really needs to figure out how not turn a bad game into a disastrous one.

Last edited:

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Well, like I said, having Petrovic, Matheson, and Yandle in the same lineup is playing Russian roulette. Too much bad decisions and bad defense. You can have some of that in a game, but that's just too much all at one time.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Well, like I said, having Petrovic, Matheson, and Yandle in the same lineup is playing Russian roulette. Too much bad decisions and bad defense. You can have some of that in a game, but that's just too much all at one time.
Yandle is good. He's a legit first pairing guy, weak #1 d-man. *Ideally* he's your #2.

13th overall in scoring among d-men, 23rd overall in PP points among d-men, less goals against 5 on 5 than Hedman, Doughty, Jose, Subban, Karlsson, Letang, and some other notable d-men while playing a ton of minutes a night (18th overall TOI per game among D) against top competition. Not sure why people keep saying this about him. He's absolutely not the problem on D and if we didn't have him we'd be even worse.

Then when you look at all situations which takes into account our horrible PK...
Doughty 30 GP - 29 GA
Letang 30 GP - 44 GA
Subban 29 GP - 35 GA
Josi 26 GP - 33 GA
Hedman 28 GP - 28 GA
Yandle 29 GP - 29 GA

Additionally, he's 21st overall in all situations in goals against among d-men who have played at least 600 minutes. That's pretty damn good when you consider have an awful PK and inconsistent goaltending.

Last edited:

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Yandle is good. He's a legit first pairing guy, weak #1 d-man. *Ideally* he's your #2.

13th overall in scoring among d-men, 23rd overall in PP points among d-men, less goals 5 on 5 than Hedman, Doughty, Jose, Subban, Karlsson, Letang, and some other notable d-men while playing a ton of minutes a night (18th overall TOI per game among D) against top competition. Not sure why people keep saying this about him. He's absolutely not the problem on D and if we didn't have him we'd be even worse.
Doesn't change anything what I said. His decision making is going to lead to just as many offensive chances against as they will for. He turns the simplest plays into high risk. This team doesn't need that. He doesn't need to do that to be productive. Look at that fourth goal by the Avs, he actually had to make 2 unecessary high risk/fancy plays on one play to help the Avs get a scoring chance, and he pulled it off.
Scoring is just half of what a defenseman has to do, he also has to keep the puck out of his own net. And keeping the puck out of your own net doesn't just include how you defend, but your decision making with the puck.

Last edited:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Doesn't change anything what I said. His decision making is going to lead to just as many offensive chances against as they will for. He turns the simplest plays into high risk. This team doesn't need that. He doesn't need to do that to be productive. Look at that fourth goal by the Avs, he actually had to make 2 unecessary high risk/fancy plays on one play to help the Avs get a scoring chance, and he pulled it off.
Scoring is just half of what a defenseman has to do, he also has to keep the puck out of his own net. And keeping the puck out of your own net doesn't just include how you defend, but your decision making with the puck.
Your opinion doesn't reflect the reality and results of his play.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Well I picked up a couple of tickets and two fresh new Cats Jerseys for the wife and I for Thursday’s game. Here’s hoping for revenge! Does anyone know if Barkov will be back by then? I love watching him play

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I don't agree. Yandle's game has been steadily improving throughout the season, just like Ekblad's has.

Apparently it's Matheson who we need to wait for to have a string of consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad