Panthers Strengthen 3rd Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
The Florida Panthers announced today that the team had made two trades that would strengthen the team's third line and penalty killing units.

In the first move the Panthers acquired Daniel Cleary from the Rangers in exchange for Brian Willsie. This was a swap of upcoming RFA's. "We felt that Daniel fit better into this organization, and he brings energy to our 3rd line, as well as excellent penalty killing ability," said GM Otten. This is Cleary's second tour of duty under Otten's Panthers. He was traded to the Rangers over a year ago in exchange for current Panthers defenseman Brian Campbell. "It's good to be back here in Florida, this time in the thick of a playoff race. Coach Lewis has defined my role for me, so I'm excited to get going. I've still got some friends on this team, so the transition should be easy," commented Cleary.

In the second move the Panthers acquired shut down center Wes Walz from the Atlanta Thrashers in exchange for Adam Mair. "This was both a tough and easy move to make for us. Adam has been a part of this franchise since I took over as General Manager, and he's worked very hard for us. But Wes brings leadership to our club and takes over as leader of our 3rd line and penalty killing units," said Otten. This affermentioned leadership is very important to this inexperienced Panthers club, that's fighting for a spot in the playoffs. The move is strictly for the now, as the 35 year old Walz is an upcoming UFA.

The Panthers are coming off back to back losses to the Thrashers, but still sit 8th in the Eastern Conference. They prepare for upcoming games against the Stars and powerhouse Blues. Both Cleary and Walz are expected to be in the line up against the Stars.

In other news, despite making trades to sure up the team's chances at making the playoffs, the team is still looking to move winger Chris Simon and a defenseman, either Lyle Odelein or Brad Brown. Reports suggest that the team is only looking for a draft pick back in exchange for Odelein or Brown.

Esteban Santour,
Florida Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad