Confirmed with Link: Panthers Sign Patrick Bajkov 3-Year ELC

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
How are Chicago and LA terrible cities? St Louis and Washington aren't exactly bad either.

I think fans overestimate a players desire to play in the NHL versus living in a city.

Shouldn't the location of the AHL team factor more if we're talking location sine he's more likely to end up there?

I'd also consider team's ability to develop prospects, recent success with prospects, and depth in farm system more than city.

I hate LA.

It is expensive, it is overly crowded, tax rates are stupidly high (sales tax, property tax, etc). Sales tax alone starts at 9.5 to upwards of 10.75. Orange County is 7.75. It is ass.

Air Quality is high. It is legitimately hard to breathe in there sometimes with all the smog.

I wouldnt be shocked if people who play in LA live outside of it. I think it's atrocious. If I have to drive through LA, I make it my mission to go around it. It takes 30 minutes to travel 5 miles.

I freaking hate LA.

Reactions: Rahooji

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I hate LA.

It is expensive, it is overly crowded, tax rates are stupidly high (sales tax, property tax, etc). Sales tax alone starts at 9.5 to upwards of 10.75. Orange County is 7.75. It is ass.

I wouldnt be shocked if people who play in LA live outside of it. I think it's atrocious. If I have to drive through LA, I make it my mission to go around it. It takes 30 minutes to travel 5 miles.

I freaking hate LA.
That's your opinion and many people may share it but it's not a terrible city. It has negatives but most people wouldn't consider LA terrible. Des Moines doesn't have any of the things you complain about but I doubt many would want to move there.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
That's your opinion and many people may share it but it's not a terrible city. It has negatives but most people wouldn't consider LA terrible. Des Moines doesn't have any of the things you complain about but I doubt many would want to move there.
Well yeah, but nowhere did I pass it as fact...except the tax rates and traffic. Those are all truth.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Bottom feeding franchise hands FREE, THREE YEAR CONTRACT, to someone with NO NHL EXPERIENCE. What a JOKE!!!!

There's no way any other teams wanted this FREE ASSET, doing well in the WHL.

FIRE TALLON!!!!

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
How are Chicago and LA terrible cities? St Louis and Washington aren't exactly bad either.
I think fans overestimate a players desire to play in the NHL versus living in a city.
Shouldn't the location of the AHL team factor more if we're talking location sine he's more likely to end up there?
I'd also consider team's ability to develop prospects, recent success with prospects, and depth in farm system more than city.
Chicago has a crazy murder rate, high taxes and Illinois might be on its way to bankruptcy. There's a reason so many people are leaving the state and Chicago area. LA is a smog, traffic jam nightmare with high taxes. There are so many homeless (23% increase) defecating in the street that hepatitis A outbreak happens.
I do agree that players are more concern with playing in the NHL than needles on the sidewalk of their downtown. Which still bodes well for the Panthers. Their recent history does show a willingness to promote players from the AHL. They don't usually fill their roster with UFA that would block up and coming players.
In any case, things changes quickly in the NHL. It was Vesey that wanted to play for the Rangers because the Preds were not contenders, right?

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Chicago has a crazy murder rate, high taxes and Illinois might be on its way to bankruptcy. There's a reason so many people are leaving the state and Chicago area. LA is a smog, traffic jam nightmare with high taxes. There are so many homeless (23% increase) defecating in the street that hepatitis A outbreak happens.
I do agree that players are more concern with playing in the NHL than needles on the sidewalk of their downtown. Which still bodes well for the Panthers. Their recent history does show a willingness to promote players from the AHL. They don't usually fill their roster with UFA that would block up and coming players.
In any case, things changes quickly in the NHL. It was Vesey that wanted to play for the Rangers because the Preds were not contenders, right?
Every city has downsides. Chicago has bad parts, no doubt. But the not bad parts of Chicago are nice. Good cost of living, huge sports town, respected original 6 franchise.

People love LA, great weather, ton to do, close to Vegas, good looking people, awesome place to be if you're successful. Team has some great players, good management.

Yes, we are a good destination despite the media complaining about ownership.

I think most players are happy to get a shot anywhere and but you want to see a future for yourself with some hope they'll develop you.

Vesey is a good example of someone not being able to predict the future. I could see him moved this offseason.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I'm pretty sure few if any at all of the Panthers players live in Miami proper or South Beach, heck even Sunny Isles or Bal Harbor area...they probably all live in Broward county. Other than the proverbial "weather" excuse there's not much going except the beach life. Players might live in Fort Lauderdale beachfront or something but it's not South Beach. Then the training center and arena are basically in the swamps of the Everglades. I mean I'm south Floridian through and through but it's not exactly glamorous (at least where the actual Panthers life of a player would revolve around)....If we played in the AA we might actually be more of an attractive franchise as an actual place to play when talking about location. But we're not in Miami.

In Chicago the United Center is just like 15 mins away from downtown... in NY MSG is right in Manhattan... in Vegas the arena is right there in the action too... the Staples Center is basically in downtown LA and has the glamour of the city, Hollywood actors, Lakers and so on surrounding it.. We're probably one of the few that people associate with a major city yet we're like almost an hour away from it..therefore we don't really have anything of Miami surrounding us like those cities do

Reactions: CaptainScrewy

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
Chicago has a crazy murder rate, high taxes and Illinois might be on its way to bankruptcy. There's a reason so many people are leaving the state and Chicago area.

Couple of things: murder rate is exaggerated. Look at murder rates following the demolition of "the projects" and now.

Taxes are way too high, recently they rescinded a soda tax lol. A soda tax.

I left a few years ago for a job opportunity, sunshine and Panthers hockey. Illinois and Chicago are by no means a bad place nor a bad area to play professional sports. Plenty of history of winning and tradition. I wish South Florida will have more franchises who start winning. Heat are the only team that has won anything recently, everyone else has been run by clown shoes.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Bottom feeding franchise hands FREE, THREE YEAR CONTRACT, to someone with NO NHL EXPERIENCE. What a JOKE!!!!

There's no way any other teams wanted this FREE ASSET, doing well in the WHL.

FIRE TALLON!!!!
doing well in the whl. yay. u know who else is doing well in the whl? jayden halbjewachs. first 70 goal scorer since john tavares. why does san jose get him? why can't the panthers ever sign someone like him? its not just that we've drafted bad. we also can never seem to sign awesome prospects who got overlooked. bajkov has the upside of a decent 3rd liner. so exciting. have we ever signed an undrafted prospect with a real chance at the top 2 lines out of juniors? pretty sure that's a never. marchy was the closest thing we ever did to that, so we immediately corrected the error. r u actually saying were not a bottom feeding franchise?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
doing well in the whl. yay. u know who else is doing well in the whl? jayden halbjewachs. first 70 goal scorer since john tavares. why does san jose get him? why can't the panthers ever sign someone like him? its not just that we've drafted bad. we also can never seem to sign awesome prospects who got overlooked. bajkov has the upside of a decent 3rd liner. so exciting. have we ever signed an undrafted prospect with a real chance at the top 2 lines out of juniors? pretty sure that's a never. marchy was the closest thing we ever did to that, so we immediately corrected the error. r u actually saying were not a bottom feeding franchise?
Name even one "awesome prospect" that went on to have a legit top6 NHL forward career, after playing in the juniors as an overager. You're making it sound like these prospects grow on trees.

Scoring a billion goals in junior hockey isn't the be-all and end-all.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Name even one "awesome prospect" that went on to have a legit top6 NHL forward career, after playing in the juniors as an overager. You're making it sound like these prospects grow on trees.

Scoring a billion goals in junior hockey isn't the be-all and end-all.
not saying it is, but scoring 70+ goals in the whl is a better indicator of future success than ~90 points wouldn't u say? unless ud prefer bajkov over halbjewachs which I don't think is the case. I guess what I'm wondering is the following: do we not approach these guys at all? or do they simply not wanna play for us?

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Name even one "awesome prospect" that went on to have a legit top6 NHL forward career, after playing in the juniors as an overager.
tyler johnson off the top of my head but I'm sure there r plenty if I look it up. do u really not think there have been any late bloomers?

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
not saying it is, but scoring 70+ goals in the whl is a better indicator of future success than ~90 points wouldn't u say? unless ud prefer bajkov over halbjewachs which I don't think is the case. I guess what I'm wondering is the following: do we not approach these guys at all? or do they simply not wanna play for us?

How many times did Ryan Getzlaf score in the WHL?

Scoring 70+ in the WHL isn't a sure fire indication of success.

Dryden Hunt scored 58 goals. And?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
tyler johnson off the top of my head but I'm sure there r plenty if I look it up. do u really not think there have been any late bloomers?
So one player in the past 7 years, you're not exactly working towards improving your argument. Like I said, they don't grow on trees.

Do keep in mind that we just signed Hunt a couple years ago, a guy who was almost a 60 goal scorer. Point being that these "awesome prospects" that put up huge numbers in their overage season, rarely pan out.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I hate LA.

Air Quality is high. It is legitimately hard to breathe in there sometimes with all the smog.

I freaking hate LA.

You have two votes for LA is a crap hole! Been there and thought it was a joke on wheels. That’s two people right here on this site saying the same thing. Some others may disagree but they are most likely wrong being that we are right. Hey, somebody has to flat out be wrong sometimes. Opinions are like what again?

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
So one player in the past 7 years, you're not exactly working towards improving your argument. Like I said, they don't grow on trees.

Do keep in mind that we just signed Hunt a couple years ago, a guy who was almost a 60 goal scorer. Point being that these "awesome prospects" that put up huge numbers in their overage season, rarely pan out.
58 goals and 70+ goals are kind of massively different when one of them hasn't happened since tavares. I guess ur happy we got bajkov over jayden then. good call. and I named johnson off the top of my head. there are plenty of players that played well toward the end of juniors, got signed and are great in the nhl. giordano is another I just remembered. if u want me to look it up for u ill b that generous. just say the word. how we can argue that not scoring a lot of points in juniors is not worse than scoring a lot of points in juniors is beyond me but hey, ur soupyfin and ur gonna argue me. the sky is up and the ground is down.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
58 goals and 70+ goals are kind of massively different when one of them hasn't happened since tavares. I guess ur happy we got bajkov over jayden then. good call. and I named johnson off the top of my head. there are plenty of players that played well toward the end of juniors, got signed and are great in the nhl. giordano is another I just remembered. if u want me to look it up for u ill b that generous. just say the word. how we can argue that not scoring a lot of points in juniors is not worse than scoring a lot of points in juniors is beyond me but hey, ur soupyfin and ur gonna argue me. the sky is up and the ground is down.
How about instead of looking at invidual players and point production, take every overage CHL player (say since the turn of the century to keep this somewhat relevant to modern hockey) that went on to sign an NHL contract and then pick out the ones that made it. There's probably at least a hundred players and how many of those had a meaningful NHL career? So far you've managed to name two for the past 14 years, Panthers sure are missing out on this market, along with the 27 (now 28) other teams.

These aren't "awesome prospects", this is literally the defition of a lottery ticket.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
How about instead of looking at invidual players and point production, take every overage CHL player (say since the turn of the century to keep this somewhat relevant to modern hockey) that went on to sign an NHL contract and then pick out the ones that made it. There's probably at least a hundred players and how many of those had a meaningful NHL career? So far you've managed to name two for the past 14 years, Panthers sure are missing out on this market, along with the 27 (now 28) other teams.

These aren't "awesome prospects", this is literally the defition of a lottery ticket.
again, since ur clearly not wanting to read what Im writing. those were off the top of my head in less than 10 seconds of thought between them. this likely means there are a good deal more than two unless my head just has a really precise and awesome top. and literally no one is saying most of these prospects turn out good. but most 1st rounders don't even turn out that good. this is simply a supplement to drafting and is yet another thing the panthers are miserably horrible at. I literally don't see how its possible to disagree with that but here we are.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
again, since ur clearly not wanting to read what Im writing. those were off the top of my head in less than 10 seconds of thought between them. this likely means there are a good deal more than two unless my head just has a really precise and awesome top. and literally no one is saying most of these prospects turn out good. but most 1st rounders don't even turn out that good. this is simply a supplement to drafting and is yet another thing the panthers are miserably horrible at. I literally don't see how its possible to disagree with that but here we are.
Do list those players then, because 2 players in the past 14 years isn't a market worth complaining about. There's 27 other teams that did just as poorly during that time frame, so is almost the whole league terrible at signing CHL overage players, or did you over dramatize this trivial thing to turn it into a yet another negative against the Panthers?

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Do list those players then, because 2 players in the past 14 years isn't a market worth complaining about. There's 27 other teams that did just as poorly during that time frame, so is almost the whole league terrible at signing CHL overage players, or did you over dramatize this trivial thing to turn it into a yet another negative against the Panthers?
do i really need to over dramatize something to make the panthers seem negative? they just finished all but destroying their season for the 18th time in 23 yrs. if signing overagers isnt important, then why is this even a thread? and why do you bother commenting in it? clearly we both found it worthwhile to take the time out of our lives to type words. and the panthers found it important enough to hand millions of dollars to someone. it just so happens that someone has less of a chance of being an impact player than the someone that the sharks signed a few months ago. im just wondering why we cant seem to ever sign guys like that. u know, players with numbers that at least allow u to pretend like theyre going to make a difference. but since u want a modern list of undrafted overage standouts that the panthers missed and pretty much everyone else got, here goes:

aside from johnson and giordano, we got martin jones, dan girardi, marchessault (tampa got to him first and we all know what happened when we got to him 2nd) and theres like 20-30 players that arent as noteworthy but are currently on nhl rosters contributing. and thats just from canadian juniors. the list becomes insanely massive and way more impressive if u include ncaa and euro leagues. then were talking just boatloads of good players that are undrafted and scooped up by literally every nhl team besides the panthers:

List of undrafted NHL players with 100 games played - Wikipedia

knowing their had to be plenty of overagers who went undrafted and had good careers should be so obvious as to be unnecessary but whatever.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
knowing their had to be plenty of overagers who went undrafted and had good careers should be so obvious as to be unnecessary but whatever.
Jones did not play in the CHL as an overager, Girardi and March played a full year in the AHL before signing.

Even if you count those two in (which I wouldn't since they were essentially free agents for a full year after they left the CHL, so they were signed on their AHL resume rather than their CHL resume), you still have only 4 players. That is not "awesome", nor is it "plenty".

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
26m154.jpg

Reactions: BabyBarkov

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Jones did not play in the CHL as an overager, Girardi and March played a full year in the AHL before signing.

Even if you count those two in (which I wouldn't since they were essentially free agents for a full year after they left the CHL, so they were signed on their AHL resume rather than their CHL resume), you still have only 4 players. That is not "awesome", nor is it "plenty".
technicalities. the question then easily morphs into why didn't we get these free agents out of the ahl/ncaa/europe? why don't we get vesey, butcher, hayes, zucc, panarin, etc etc. its probably the same answer as to why we got bajkov over halbjewachs. players that project to be good don't seem to want to come here. do u think that's an unfair statement? if so, name me an awesome young player who could've played anywhere but signed with us. I can't think of one.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
technicalities. the question then easily morphs into why didn't we get these free agents out of the ahl/ncaa/europe? why don't we get vesey, butcher, hayes, zucc, panarin, etc etc. its probably the same answer as to why we got bajkov over halbjewachs. players that project to be good don't seem to want to come here. do u think that's an unfair statement? if so, name me an awesome young player who could've played anywhere but signed with us. I can't think of one.
Now you're extending the argument to other free agent prospects, which is a completely different ball game.

Your original point was "why can't the panthers ever sign someone like him? its not just that we've drafted bad. we also can never seem to sign awesome prospects who got overlooked. bajkov has the upside of a decent 3rd liner. so exciting. have we ever signed an undrafted prospect with a real chance at the top 2 lines out of juniors?", I'm simply pointing out how rarely CHL overagers become anything worth mentioning, while you're raging like this is a yearly thing that the Panthers miss out on. We literally just signed one (that's being discussed in this very thread no less) and signed Hunt a couple years ago.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Now you're extending the argument to other free agent prospects, which is a completely different ball game.

Your original point was "why can't the panthers ever sign someone like him? its not just that we've drafted bad. we also can never seem to sign awesome prospects who got overlooked. bajkov has the upside of a decent 3rd liner. so exciting. have we ever signed an undrafted prospect with a real chance at the top 2 lines out of juniors?", I'm simply pointing out how rarely CHL overagers become anything worth mentioning, while you're raging like this is a yearly thing that the Panthers miss out on. We literally just signed one (that's being discussed in this very thread no less) and signed Hunt a couple years ago.
yea well this happened to be a guy from juniors so I mentioned juniors. so sorry. let me restructure it to ur liking: why can't the panthers ever sign an awesome undrafted prospect ever? satisfied? and will a real answer be forthcoming? I suspect not because I can't picture u actually coming to terms with the reality of what the logical answer would seem to be. both are bad. either management has been and is completely unable to scout them and woo them properly, or no one wants to play here. an option C is hard to fathom here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->