Panthers Prospect Update #16: 1/25 – 1/31

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I think it may of been covered in another thread, but is there any change in McFarlands game to the point he could be a NHLer(4th line) at some point? Or is he a career AHL player?

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
I think it may of been covered in another thread, but is there any change in McFarlands game to the point he could be a NHLer(4th line) at some point? Or is he a career AHL player?

He's been better this year for sure. He could potentially fit in to a bottom 6 role, and I think the Panthers want to see if he can continue to progress which is why he got a 1 year deal. He's still only 22 years old right now so he's got some time.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
He's been better this year for sure. He could potentially fit in to a bottom 6 role, and I think the Panthers want to see if he can continue to progress which is why he got a 1 year deal. He's still only 22 years old right now so he's got some time.
Not to nitpick but he turns 24 in April. Further, he's never shown any sign - short of a few decent partial seasons in the OHL - that he's NHL talent. He's a middle-six AHL winger and that's it.

Otherwise, thanks for the prospect update.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Not to nitpick but he turns 24 in April. Further, he's never shown any sign - short of a few decent partial seasons in the OHL - that he's NHL talent. He's a middle-six AHL winger and that's it.

Otherwise, thanks for the prospect update.

Oops sorry. I was looking at his contract page...he signed the contract at 22.

I guess you haven't watched him this year...been playing on the top line for Portland and has been better than past years...14 goals in 41 games, career high is 10. Now I'm not saying he should definitely be playing in our bottom 6 right now, but he's a hard nosed guy, has pretty good wheels, goes hard to the net. Could he play on the 4th line one day? Maybe, I wouldn't rule it out 100%.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Oops sorry. I was looking at his contract page...he signed the contract at 22.

I guess you haven't watched him this year...been playing on the top line for Portland and has been better than past years...14 goals in 41 games, career high is 10. Now I'm not saying he should definitely be playing in our bottom 6 right now, but he's a hard nosed guy, has pretty good wheels, goes hard to the net. Could he play on the 4th line one day? Maybe, I wouldn't rule it out 100%.
Typically, forward production peaks at between the age of 24 to 27. If he's not really competing for a full time roster spot right now he likely never will, especially considering he would be taking ice time on our bottom 6 from younger, higher upside forwards.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Typically, forward production peaks at between the age of 24 to 27. If he's not really competing for a full time roster spot right now he likely never will, especially considering he would be taking ice time on our bottom 6 from younger, higher upside forwards.

Yeah I agree, but you never know. They liked him a lot when they drafted him. Dale loves his draft picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad