GDT: Panthers@Leafs 7 PM SNO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
cut.jpeg

Tuesday game preview: Florida Panthers at Toronto Maple Leafs

The Panthers are 3-1 on their trip through Canada.

Tuesday game preview: Florida Panthers at Toronto Maple Leafs | Toronto Star

barkov.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x782.jpg

Florida's Aleksander Barkov is scoring at almost a point-per-game pace (54 points in 55 games). (Mike Ehrmann / GETTY IMAGES)

By Kevin McGranSports Reporter
Mon., Feb. 19, 2018

AIR CANADA CENTRE
PUCK DROP:
7 p.m.
TV: Sportsnet Ontario
RADIO: TSN 1050
KEY PLAYERS
Barkov/Marner
Aleksander Barkov has five goals and six assists in his last eight games and leads the Panthers with 54 points in 55 games . . . The Leafs’ Mitch Marner has nine points (4-5-9) in his past five games and has registered at least one point in eight of his last 10 games (7-5-12).
NEED TO KNOW
The Panthers are 7-3-0 in their last 10 games are and trying to make a run for a playoff spot. They are 3-1-0 on this five-game Canadian road trip that ends with the game against Toronto . . . Panthers forward Evgenii Dadonov has seven goals in his last 13 games. Defenceman Aaron Ekblad has six goals in his last 13 games . . . Florida may be looking to move veteran forward Radim Vrbata, active recently after long stretches as a healthy scratch . . . Since Feb. 1, the Panthers are operating at the best rate in the NHL on the power play, going 12-for-32 (37.5 per cent).
UP NEXT
Thursday, vs. N.Y. Islanders, 7 p.m.

Game Day: Panthers at Maple Leafs
Terry KoshanMore from Terry Koshan

Game Day: Panthers at Maple Leafs

FLORIDA PANTHERS at TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
Tuesday, 7 p.m., Air Canada Centre,
TV: Sportsnet Ontario, Radio: 1050 AM
THE BIG MATCHUP
Jonathan Huberdeau vs. Morgan Rielly

It’s probable the top-five picks — Jonathan Huberdeau was taken third overall in 2011 and Morgan Rielly went fifth in 2012 — will cross paths more than a few times. The two were teammates for Canada at the 2013 world junior, so there is a bit of a history. Huberdeau is putting together a career year, as he is on pace for personal bests in goals, assists and points. Rielly needs three points to hit 37, which would be a career high.
FIVE KEYS TO THE GAME
1. Lock it down
The Maple Leafs are facing a Panthers club that still thinks it can secure a playoff berth, but coach Mike Babcock was pleased with his players’ effort in Detroit on Sunday, 24 hours after a loss in Pittsburgh. The Leafs will leave nothing to chance. “Florida has been hot lately so you want to make sure you are prepared,” Auston Matthews said.
2. Barkov on fire
Look past the fact Aleksander Barkov has three goals in 16 career games against the Leafs. The Panthers’ best player has been hot, recording 11 points in his past eight games. Whether Barkov gets proper recognition does not matter to coach Bob Boughner. “We know how good he is,” Boughner said. “His game speaks for itself.”
3. Take your best shots
While few expect a game full of end-to-end rushes with an abundance of scoring chances, there is the potential for goalies Frederik Andersen and Roberto Luongo to be busy. The Panthers have allowed an average of 34.7 shots on goal, second-most in the NHL; right behind them in third are the Leafs, who give up an average of 34.1.
4. First up
There’s always an emphasis in the Leafs room on starting right and scoring the first goal. The Leafs have an NHL-best 29 victories when going up 1-0, and they also lead the NHL with 22 wins when leading after the first period. The Panthers don’t often come back, winning nine of 28 games in which they have allowed the first goal.
5. Louie on the line
Leafs fans might have wanted to see ex-Leaf James Reimer in the Panthers net, but coach Bob Boughner said on Monday that his plan was to start Roberto Luongo. At 38, Luongo is well past his prime years, but has been a thorn in the side of Toronto, compiling a career record of 21-9-3 with a .929 save percentage with two shutouts.
MAPLE LEAFS LINES
LW-C-RW
Zach Hyman-Auston Matthews-William Nylander
Patrick Marleau-Nazem Kadri-Mitch Marner
James van Riemsdyk-Tyler Bozak-Connor Brown
Leo Komarov-Dominic Moore-Kasperi Kapanen
Defence pairs
Morgan Rielly-Ron Hainsey
Jake Gardiner-Nikita Zaitsev
Travis Dermott-Connor Carrick
Goaltenders
Frederik Andersen
Curtis McElhinney
PANTHERS LINES
LW-C-RW
Evgeny Dadonov-Aleksander Barkov-Nick Bjugstad
Jonathan Huberdeau-Vincent Trocheck-Denis Malgin
Jamie McGinn-Jared McCann-Maxim Mamin
Micheal Haley-Derek MacKenzie-Colton Sceviour
Defence pairs
Aaron Ekblad-Keith Yandle
Michael Matheson-Mark Pysyk
Mackenzie Weegar-Alex Petrovic
Goaltenders
Roberto Luongo
James Reimer
INJURIES
Panthers — None.
Maple Leafs — None.
SPECIAL TEAMS
Power play
Panthers: 19.9% (17th)
Maple Leafs: 20.2% (15th)
Penalty kill
Panthers: 79.2% (22nd)
Maple Leafs: 82.9% (6th)

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
First of 3 remaining games agains Florida. The Leafs can cement themselves in the top 3 of the division with a win.
It's cemented. Florida is shooting for WC2, and that's it. I like their chances of getting it actually.

There's no way Florida can make up a difference of 19 points in 26 games.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
It's cemented. Florida is shooting for WC2, and that's it. I like their chances of getting it actually.

There's no way Florida can make up a difference of 19 points in 26 games.
Well actually there is a way. They have 5 games in hand (valued at 10 points) and play us 3 times. If they beat us in all 3 games and went on a 5 game winning streak, that 19 point lead becomes much closer all of a sudden. I know it's not realistic, but I'm sure Florida is looking at it that way.

Reactions: AppsSyl

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Well actually there is a way. They have 5 games in hand (valued at 10 points) and play us 3 times. If they beat us in all 3 games and went on a 5 game winning streak, that 19 point lead becomes much closer all of a sudden. I know it's not realistic, but I'm sure Florida is looking at it that way.

Yeah. This is the Leafs we're talking about. It's not as if worst-case-scenario never happens. :laugh:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Panthers are super hungry.

We have a chance to get within 1 point of Boston and 2 points of Tampa Bay with a win.

Come out strong and bury them early

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Florida should be pumped for tonight's game. They have the WC2 in their sights.

member 262271

Looking for a huge win! Got marner and matthews in fantasy!
I've got the big three, it's nice cause one usually has a good game statwise. Three players from the same team? Probably won't do that again.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
This game could be a shooting range.

Florida gives up a crazy number of shots, and loves to shoot(mostly perimeter shots)

Let's see if the leafs can control a rush-rush game.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Florida is the only team that has any kind of actual chance at catching us for our playoff spot. If they win tonight and win their games in hand, then they are within striking distance. A win here basically secures our playoff spot IMO. This is 4 point game, and no way they can catch us if we win tonight.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
The leafs schedule is packed to end the month. Starting with the Pittsburgh game, the leafs will have played 7 games in 11 days, and will have to play Boston with Boston having 3 days rest.

Thats wack

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Florida is the only team that has any kind of actual chance at catching us for our playoff spot. If they win tonight and win their games in hand, then they are within striking distance. A win here basically secures our playoff spot IMO. This is 4 point game, and no way they can catch us if we win tonight.

The odds are in our favour, but yeah man... no need to hold the hair dryer and dance by the bathtub. Cause you never really know...

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I doubt they are. They're probably just focused on a wc spot right now

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I doubt they are. They're probably just focused on a wc spot right now
The best way to assure a playoff spot is get into the top 3 divisional spots. They need to use their games in hand to catch up and they need to beat the teams ahead of them in their division. Today they will be talking about this game as a starting point for their run for a playoff spot and it starts by beating us. Tomorrow they'll be focused on the WC spot I'm sure, but this is a huge game for them.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The best way to assure a playoff spot is get into the top 3 divisional spots. They need to use their games in hand to catch up and they need to beat the teams ahead of them in their division. Today they will be talking about this game as a starting point for their run for a playoff spot and it starts by beating us. Tomorrow they'll be focused on the WC spot I'm sure.
well either way, hungry opponents are usually a great test. I hope we come out strong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad