Confirmed with Link: Panthers acquire Frank Vatrano for 2018 3rd

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I find his Game against Boston not so good till disappearing. Not much getting from him last Night. Oh yeah forgot that is top 6 Material. For the same reason we open the Bjugstad Thread.

Bjugstad has been around A BIT LONGER than Vatrano ;)

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I like him so far. I think the one thing holding him back and McCann too is a consistent effort.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
16 games with us and he recorded 8 points. 5 goals, 3 assists.
Not bad. Scored in both games against Boston this past week.

I could see him being a 15-20 goal, 10-15 assist guy next year. Especially if he can stay in the top 9 and not get stuck on the 4th line.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
16 games with us and he recorded 8 points. 5 goals, 3 assists.
Not bad. Scored in both games against Boston this past week.

I could see him being a 15-20 goal, 10-15 assist guy next year. Especially if he can stay in the top 9 and not get stuck on the 4th line.

But is he worth that big huge 3rd round pick? :sarcasm:

Reactions: ShootIt

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Vatrano has 3 years left of RFA? He's 24 now, and signed his ELC when he was 21...so I'm assuming he gets UFA status when he's 27?

His cap hit was 792k, so probably a slight 100-200k bump over a year or two? Which would still keep him in RFA.(?)
Great depth guy that can move up the lineup in a pinch

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Vatrano has 3 years left of RFA? He's 24 now, and signed his ELC when he was 21...so I'm assuming he gets UFA status when he's 27?

His cap hit was 792k, so probably a slight 100-200k bump over a year or two? Which would still keep him in RFA.(?)

Ya I asked SoupyFIN that same question since this was his 3rd pro season. It's the age or number of pro years so I'd expect a 2 year deal and then he's still an RFA after that deal which is great asset management if we want to extend him or trade him at that point.

2 years @ $1.25 million would be the max I see him getting but maybe Frank would prefer a 1 year show me deal so he can earn bigger money in shorter amount of time?

Curious what all our RFAs get this year. PTEROVIC, WEEGAR, MCCANN AND VATRANO.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Ya I asked SoupyFIN that same question since this was his 3rd pro season. It's the age or number of pro years so I'd expect a 2 year deal and then he's still an RFA after that deal which is great asset management if we want to extend him or trade him at that point.

2 years @ $1.25 million would be the max I see him getting but maybe Frank would prefer a 1 year show me deal so he can earn bigger money in shorter amount of time?

Curious what all our RFAs get this year. PTEROVIC, WEEGAR, MCCANN AND VATRANO.
Petro should be the most expensive that is why I see him and Pysyk as the most logical choices to be moved.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Petro should be the most expensive that is why I see him and Pysyk as the most logical choices to be moved.
i hope they dont move petro. i think he'd only get around 2 mil and i like his game for that price. i thought he was our best d man 2 seasons ago and he was pretty good the 2nd half of this yr. pysyks gotta go though.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Figured he needed a bump as he's in a contract year and just had a stellar game. Thoughts on his season so far? He's definitely increasing his AAV on his new contract.

He's 25 in March, looks to be a 15-20 goal/30-40pt guy depending on usage/TOI. May be able to hit 25 g/50 pts if he can keep this type of play.

What deal do we offer him? Doubt he's being traded. Awesome depth scoring for a 3rd round pick.
Think 2-3 years @$3 million would be fair? We have to think about expansion draft with some of the deals for depth guys.

Last edited:

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Figured he needed a bump as he's in a contract year and just had a stellar game. Thoughts on his season so far? He's definitely increasing his AAV on his new contract.

He's 25 in March, looks to be a 15-20 goal/30-40pt guy depending on usage/TOI. May be able to hit 25 g/50 pts if he can keep this type of play.

What deal do we offer him? Doubt he's being traded. Awesome depth scoring for a 3rd round pick.
Think 2-3 years @$3 million would be fair? We have to think about expansion draft with some of the deals for depth guys.
Bridge deal yes

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
$2.5 x 3 if he keeps it up, if he falls off i think it drops to somewhere $1.75 x 2

i'm terrible at this so there's that :D

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
$2.5 x 3 if he keeps it up, if he falls off i think it drops to somewhere $1.75 x 2

i'm terrible at this so there's that :D

He can be happy with 2,5. When he gets lucky. undrafted and only his first Year with around 20 Goals. i think 1,5-2 Mio is a good Deal for him.
I think his biggest Problem in the Negotiation is undrafted and his first Big Point Season. Cause it could be a fluk or not.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica

By the justification of some, he should be in line for a Nick Bjugstad extension, look how well Barkov plays with him in the lineup...

LOL

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
5 years, 7 million if he has another multi point game within a month.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
5 years, 7 million if he has another multi point game within a month.

i think we all know there is some recency bias going on. but i also i think its hard to argue that he's been anything but a great addition since we acquired him from boston. especially at his AAV.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
He can be happy with 2,5. When he gets lucky. undrafted and only his first Year with around 20 Goals. i think 1,5-2 Mio is a good Deal for him.
I think his biggest Problem in the Negotiation is undrafted and his first Big Point Season. Cause it could be a fluk or not.

I agree, I think 1.5-2 per for 2 years would be solid for both sides.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
I like him so far. I think the one thing holding him back and McCann too is a consistent effort.

McCann looks great as a 4th line center. He is average as a 3rd line center, doesn't provide much offense outside the odd wrist shot, garbage goal. He isn't going to do a whole lot offensively unless he is paired with a creative player or other forwards who can play down low.

Maybe there is some untapped potential if his confidence grows....but it seems like what you see is what you get at this point.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
i think we all know there is some recency bias going on. but i also i think its hard to argue that he's been anything but a great addition since we acquired him from boston. especially at his AAV.

Definitely a bit of recency bias, as I mentioned in the GDT last week.

Still, Vatrano has turned into a serviceable guy that can actually attribute. His confidence seems to be growing, which is encouraging. I think a 3-year bridge deal worth about $8-9 million is the way to go for both sides.

Reactions: Boothinator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad