owners proposal question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
im curious...

some of the posters here think the owners will counter with a a cost certainty proposal that they have always intended will be the final result.

if the owners dont counter the players proposal based on the NHLPA's model and simply table an offer that has been sitting on their desk for the last 3 months, why have they waited to make the offer ?

why not just table the offer they have been sitting on 3 or 4 months ago and tell the PA here it is, love it or leave it, there will only be negotiations based on the context within, period and end of story. why bother with waiting for a players proposal they have never had any intention of negotiating from ?

so which is it, will they negotiate with the players based on the model presented on Thursday or will they prove they have been wasting time and playing "chicken" with the NHL season.

dr

SENSible1*

DementedReality said:
im curious...

some of the posters here think the owners will counter with a a cost certainty proposal that they have always intended will be the final result.

if the owners dont counter the players proposal based on the NHLPA's model and simply table an offer that has been sitting on their desk for the last 3 months, why have they waited to make the offer ?

why not just table the offer they have been sitting on 3 or 4 months ago and tell the PA here it is, love it or leave it, there will only be negotiations based on the context within, period and end of story. why bother with waiting for a players proposal they have never had any intention of negotiating from ?

so which is it, will they negotiate with the players based on the model presented on Thursday or will they prove they have been wasting time and playing "chicken" with the NHL season.

dr

They wanted the PA to present their offer so that they could assess their level of desperation. I'm sure the message came through loud and clear.

The NHL's offer will be a response to players offer, but it doesn't mean they need to abandon their core postitions. They can take portions of the PA offer and encorperate them into their framework.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Thunderstruck said:
They wanted the PA to present their offer so that they could assess their level of desperation. I'm sure the message came through loud and clear.

The NHL's offer will be a response to players offer, but it doesn't mean they need to abandon their core postitions. They can take portions of the PA offer and encorperate them into their framework.

why do they need to assess the level of desperation ? to extract even more than they really need ?

as far as i am concerned if the NHL doors opened tommorow, the NHL has scored a HUGE and DECISSIVE victory. now they want to rub it in some more because "they can" ? i call that being a bully.

dr

SENSible1*

DementedReality said:
why do they need to assess the level of desperation ? to extract even more than they really need ?

as far as i am concerned if the NHL doors opened tommorow, the NHL has scored a HUGE and DECISSIVE victory. now they want to rub it in some more because "they can" ? i call that being a bully.

dr

I thought you were in favour of all parties using whatever leverage they have?

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Thunderstruck said:
I thought you were in favour of all parties using whatever leverage they have?

well, as long as we know the reason is for leverage. but thats not why the owners are claiming they are doing what they are doing.

so is it simply for leverage reasons ?

dr

SENSible1*

DementedReality said:
well, as long as we know the reason is for leverage. but thats not why the owners are claiming they are doing what they are doing.

so is it simply for leverage reasons ?

dr
Weak PA's make for strong leagues.

Potatoe1

Oct 5, 2004
I have no idea what the owners will do,

I sincerely hope that they part with their illogical fascination with "linkage" (even the word seems a little creepy doesnt it?) and negotiate based on the PA's current proposal.

Here is what I would like to see the Owners propose.

-Stiffer Luxury tax rates that kick in at 40 million dollars.

-Change in arbitration rules so that they can take a player to arbitration as many times as they like.

-A cap on the total bonuses that a rookie can receive.

-Changes to the qualifying system so that all players over 660K only have to be qualified at 100% vs. 105%.

If they can get these things as well as the 24% roll back then it is a grand slam victory for the owners, and a far better CBA than one with a hard cap around 45 million dollars.

For the record I would also like to point out that even if the owners do propose a system with some sort of linkage, it does not mean that the season is over. There is still time to negotiate based on the players proposal. I think people are being way over=dramatic when they say that the players will walk if Betman even utters the words "cost certainty".

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The owners can respond within the context of the NHLPA's proposal and get cost certainty. All they need to do is change the luxury tax structure.

Payroll & tax
$32-41 million:100% tax
$42-51 million: 200% tax
$52 million or greater: 300% tax

It's effectively a hard cap using the players proposal.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Buffaloed said:
The owners can respond within the context of the NHLPA's proposal and get cost certainty. All they need to do is change the luxury tax structure.

Payroll & tax
$32-41 million:100% tax
$42-51 million: 200% tax
$52 million or greater: 300% tax

It's effectively a hard cap using the players proposal.

are you suggesting a team with a 33m payroll will pay an additional 33m in tax ?

isnt that as useless as the players offering a hard cap of 300 million dollars ?

dr

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
Potatoe said:
I have no idea what the owners will do,

I sincerely hope that they part with their illogical fascination with "linkage" (even the word seems a little creepy doesnt it?) and negotiate based on the PA's current proposal.

Here is what I would like to see the Owners propose.

-Stiffer Luxury tax rates that kick in at 40 million dollars.

-Change in arbitration rules so that they can take a player to arbitration as many times as they like.

-A cap on the total bonuses that a rookie can receive.

-Changes to the qualifying system so that all players over 660K only have to be qualified at 100% vs. 105%.

If they can get these things as well as the 24% roll back then it is a grand slam victory for the owners, and a far better CBA than one with a hard cap around 45 million dollars.

For the record I would also like to point out that even if the owners do propose a system with some sort of linkage, it does not mean that the season is over. There is still time to negotiate based on the players proposal. I think people are being way over=dramatic when they say that the players will walk if Betman even utters the words "cost certainty".

ok, but this is for another thread. my question is if the owners simply table an offer that is of no relation to the players, why didnt they just do it in Sept or Oct or prior ?

and if they did, then making the SAME offer now is NOT negotiating.

dr

Potatoe1

Oct 5, 2004
DementedReality said:
ok, but this is for another thread. my question is if the owners simply table an offer that is of no relation to the players, why didn’t they just do it in Sept or Oct or prior ?

and if they did, then making the SAME offer now is NOT negotiating.

dr

Well to answer your question "directly" I think they would wait until now because the players are more likely to bend on their "no linkage" position with the season hanging in the balance.

There is no doubt that the closer we get to the seasons cancellation, the higher the stakes get for everyone.

Hey just to flip things around, why is it that the players waited until now to make such a solid offer, why not do it in Sept or Oct? (smile)

As for the negotiating part, if the owners come to the table with a reasonable offer that includes a linkage (I hope they don't) then yes they are technically negotiating.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
DementedReality said:
are you suggesting a team with a 33m payroll will pay an additional 33m in tax ?
The tax is on amounts over the limit, so a team with a $33 million payroll would pay $1 million in tax. A team with a $41 million payroll would have to pay $9 million in tax, effectively making their payroll cost $50 million. I just threw these numbers out to show that the NHL can work within the context of the NHLPA proposal and work out something that addresses their cost certainty concern without going back to the hard cap solution. I think there's numbers in the middle that both sides can live with.

Feb 12, 2003
Buffaloed said:
The tax is on amounts over the limit, so a team with a $33 million payroll would pay $1 million in tax. A team with a $41 million payroll would have to pay $9 million in tax, effectively making their payroll cost $50 million. I just threw these numbers out to show that the NHL can work within the context of the NHLPA proposal and work out something that addresses their cost certainty concern without going back to the hard cap solution. I think there's numbers in the middle that both sides can live with.

I understand and agree with you here on this, but I don't think it solves the problem entirely, just makes it easier to swallow because of the tax revenue generated that will go to the teams who need it most.

If the Detroit Red Wings have been spending $65 million a year, and there is a luxury tax threshold at $35 million that is dollar for dollar, I kind of get the feeling that the Red Wings will still spend $65 million a year, they'll just get less. Instead of $65 million on player salaries, they will be spending $50 million on player salaries and $15 million on luxury tax, for $65 million. That helps improve the situation because at least they aren't spending all of that money for the on-ice product, and up to 15 teams would benefit $1 million each from Detroit's spending, but it only drags the salaries so much too.

When you figure that Detroit isn't the only team that would be willing to go over the threshold, as Toronto, Philadelphia, New York, Dallas, etc. might be willing to exceed the threshold, you generate more luxury tax revenue for the poorer teams. However, you still have the spending teams setting the bar on the salaries, which is why the problems the NHL has faced could persist.

All of this excludes the suggestion of further taxing at higher levels, which I consider harder to pass because the NHLPA could see this as a way to kill inflation in the league. I think you aren't going to see such harsh leaps from 100% to 200% to 300% like that. Somehow I get the feeling they will only allow the glass to be full, not overflowing.

Like I said, I think a Luxury Tax system is probably better off than the Hard Cap system, because too many greatly developed teams would be unfairly disbanded under a Hard Cap, but I don't know if there is a perfect season. That's why I am not so concerned on how they get it done anymore, just get it done. In the end, it's the owners fault, not all the owners, but the most irresponsible owners who kept setting the bar higher to spit in their competition's face.

If there's a new way, I'd be the first in line. It better work this time.

Hockey_Nut99

I bet the owners had a proposal in their back pocket for so long. There is no way they didn't have one.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
DementedReality said:
im curious...

dr

Even on smaller scales, the negotiating process is never that simple (speaking from experience).

I've never been directly involved in something approaching this scale, though I've witnessed it from a moderately close perspective. Trust me, it becomes much more complicated.

We can only see so much from the surface, what's underneath is an entirely different story.

Hockey_Nut99

DementedReality said:

dr

This is off topic but who is your favourite team Dementedreality?

Go Flames Go*

DementedReality said:
i live in Calgary and am a die hard Canucks fan.

dr

Well for you to cheer on the Canucks at the Saddledome, there needs to be a linkage put in place so the Flames can continue to operate and offer you a enjoyable time when you go to see your Canucks in action against the defending western conference heavyweight champions of the world.

Brent Burns Beard