Owners could easily collude with a soft cap luxury tax system if they wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Even if 3/4 of the owners don't want to go over a certain amount, it won't work.

Look at the Devils. Lou is the best GM in the game. He can't even keep our payroll down. The Niedermayer, Brodeur, Elias, Rafalski, Gomez, etc etc etc contracts just start to add up. You either keep the players and pay up, or you lose your core team.

Why? Because Chris Pronger is being paid 10 million, which Niedermayer wants. Madden is being paid 4 million because a) we couldn't afford to lose him and b) The Rangers feel like paying guys like Bobby Holik 9 million.

The cases go on.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
eye said:
How many NBA teams actually go over the cap?

Almost all.

The salary cap last year was $43.84 million

NBA Payrolls for last year .. only three teams were under the cap.

1) New York Knicks $94.5 million
2) Portland Trail Blazers $84.3
3) Dallas Mavericks $78.6
4) Minnesota Timberwolves $72.4
5) Sacramento Kings $69.5
6) Los Angeles Lakers $64.8
7) New Jersey Nets $63.1
8) Atlanta Hawks $63.1
9) Phoenix Suns $59.3
10) Boston Celtics $59.2
11) Toronto Raptors $60.8
12) Memphis Grizzlies $58.2
13) Indiana Pacers $57.7
14) Philadelphia 76ers $57.0
15) Milwaukee Bucks $53.9
16) Chicago Bulls $53.7
17) Detroit Pistons $53.1
18) Golden State Warriors $52.8
19) Seattle Supersonics $51.1
20) Houston Rockets $50.4
21) New Orleans Hornets $49.7
22) Orlando Magic $47.6
23) San Antonio Spurs $47.1
24) Cleveland Cavaliers $46.4
25) Miami Heat $45.5
26) Washington Wizards $44.5
27) Denver Nuggets $41.5
28) Los Angeles Clippers $38.4
29) Utah Jazz $36.5

http://www.insidehoops.com/nba-salary-cap.shtml

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
More payroll disparity than the NHL even with a cap and linkage. Less competitive balance too. See all those empty seats at NBA games? Even after caving and selling out the non stars, they are going to likely be rewarded with another lockout for their efforts.

Buffaloed said:
There's an implicit agreement when contract offer information is shared. As you recall when the agent was decertified it came out that they were sharing that kind of information on their computer system. They can share information about contracts in force all they want, but here were talking about contracts in various stages of negotiation. The owners would be crucified if they put together a list of the contract offers they planned on tendering.

I thought the idea that each proposal and counter proposal during negotiations was being entered into a system for all to see was possibly questionable ethically, especially if the owners couldnt do the same. But I dont see how you can ensure it doesnt happen. Real estate agents can do the same thing.

But I dont see how that No Circumvention section you pointed out applies. I would of thought it is more meant for things like paying more than the rookie cap under the table, or making offers on the side during negotiations that tilt things your way, etc. But I dont see how would it apply to this, as making the offers known isnt really circumventing anything that I can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->