Prospect Info: Owen Tippett (2017, #10 overall), Saginaw Spirit (OHL), signed ELC on 7/19/17

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
i think it's at least a little worrisome that he didn't make the team.
i don't have time to do research but who didn't make the team canada in a wjc, was a top 10 pick but still panned out to be a star?

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
i think it's at least a little worrisome that he didn't make the team.
i don't have time to do research but who didn't make the team canada in a wjc, was a top 10 pick but still panned out to be a star?

It's not worrisome in the slightest.

DeBrincat was cut from Team USA and posted three, 50-goal years in the OHL.

Canada takes role players every year over some of their best options.

No reason to worry about Tippett until he is a regular in the NHL and not scoring

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
^I worry about Tippett. Not as fast as advertised and his hockey IQ is average. Also, a lot of work to do defensively plus he has to do a 180 in his intensity and strength to physically win one on one battles. Like Matheson he is not multifaceted and possesses one or two high end skills.

I don't see Ang making the final roster. Like Crouse he has never put up the points in Juniors that gives you the feeling he can consistently finish. Will be a late bloomer scoring wise in the AHL if he is ever to have a shot at an NHL slot. Nick Suzuki will make the roster and he should as he will be a solid top 6 NHL'r when all is said and done. :)

Reactions: jvr32

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
It's not worrisome in the slightest.

DeBrincat was cut from Team USA and posted three, 50-goal years in the OHL.

Canada takes role players every year over some of their best options.

No reason to worry about Tippett until he is a regular in the NHL and not scoring

well he did play at the wjc once.
oh well thats fine i guess. at least i'll be able to watch heponiemi

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
^I worry about Tippett. Not as fast as advertised and his hockey IQ is average. Also, a lot of work to do defensively plus he has to do a 180 in his intensity and strength to physically win one on one battles. Like Matheson he is not multifaceted and possesses one or two high end skills.

I don't see Ang making the final roster. Like Crouse he has never put up the points in Juniors that gives you the feeling he can consistently finish. Will be a late bloomer scoring wise in the AHL if he is ever to have a shot at an NHL slot. Nick Suzuki will make the roster and he should as he will be a solid top 6 NHL'r when all is said and done. :)

I'm surprised you are worred about Tippett!!! You were so happy when we passed on Suzuki for him :sarcasm: :)

Scott Luce wins this round

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I'm surprised you are worred about Tippett!!! You were so happy when we passed on Suzuki for him :sarcasm: :)

Scott Luce wins this round
Luce is director of amateur scouting for VGK. Knowing Luce's past history, I doubt the director of player personnel or McPhee payed any attention to what nonsense Luce was spewing in the first round. Cody Glass, Nick Suzuki and Erik Brannstrom completely go against the grain for the types of players the Cats drafted when Luce was part of the organization. :)

Reactions: batting1k

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Luce is director of amateur scouting for VGK. Knowing Luce's past history, I doubt the director of player personnel or McPhee payed any attention to what nonsense Luce was spewing in the first round. Cody Glass, Nick Suzuki and Erik Brannstrom completely go against the grain for the types of players the Cats drafted when Luce was part of the organization. :)

Scott Luce never loses. You've missed my point completely... Scott Luce ALWAYS wins

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

To be fair, this is most junior players making the transition to the NHL.

I don't see Ang making the roster either. I think he's one of our most overrated prospects. Great speed but I don't see much else out of him. Nothing wrong with some quality youth on the AHL team.

Reactions: Clint

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
I'm expecting this guy to show up like Barzal when he enters the league at 20. I like the way he carries the puck. Kid can dangle. If he's not ready to compete for the calder when he arrives then he's not ready. And if he's not ready he's a bust and we should have drafted Barzal instead of Crouse. I did no research before I wrote any of this. Gotcha.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I'm expecting this guy to show up like Barzal when he enters the league at 20. I like the way he carries the puck. Kid can dangle. If he's not ready to compete for the calder when he arrives then he's not ready. And if he's not ready he's a bust and we should have drafted Barzal instead of Crouse. I did no research before I wrote any of this. Gotcha.

I doubt that’ll happen. Barzal is a freak and putting up crazy numbers.

Tippett reminds me of a cross between Eichel and Kessel. Obviously not as good. Just in terms of play style.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL

you're going to be extremely disappointed. tippett has no where near the hockey IQ/vision Barzal does.

not saying tippett can't be a good player, but he won't be as good as Barzal is and his adaption to the NHL will be no where near as seamless.

FinlandPanther

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
you're going to be extremely disappointed. tippett has no where near the hockey IQ/vision Barzal does.

not saying tippett can't be a good player, but he won't be as good as Barzal is and his adaption to the NHL will be no where near as seamless.
I agree about Barzals IQ being greater than Tippett because Barzal is insanely intelligent, but even Barzal isn’t “this good”. This is a guy who wasn’t even a world beater on juniors but he’s putting insane numbers in the NHL. I fully expect him to cool down with the years.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i dont expect barzal to slow down. have you watched him? hes the real deal. hes incredible to watch. i dont expect tippett to be anything like that. tippett does have solid speed, surprisingly good hands and a great shot. i just dont see the killer instinct in him. he can seem complacent at times and waits for other to do the dirty work. he has great potential tho

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
i dont expect barzal to slow down. have you watched him? hes the real deal. hes incredible to watch. i dont expect tippett to be anything like that. tippett does have solid speed, surprisingly good hands and a great shot. i just dont see the killer instinct in him. he can seem complacent at times and waits for other to do the dirty work. he has great potential tho
When fear and desire meet, the winner will decide his future. If fear of injuries, fear of failure, hit avoidance, or self doubt take hold, no one will become what they can be. Becoming great is mostly mental when you're already very good.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
When fear and desire meet, the winner will decide his future. If fear of injuries, fear of failure, hit avoidance, or self doubt take hold, no one will become what they can be. Becoming great is mostly mental when you're already very good.
its absolutely mental because hes definitely capable of it, he has the physical and skill capabilities for sure. you cant teach the trocheck-esk compete.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002

Smaller Bjugstad?

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Tippett is an off the rush scorer, they wont change much, but he will get stronger and better at the 1v1s as he develops physically. Cant teach his shot or instincts, you can teach defense.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Barzal is over a PPG player lmao. No killer instinct in Tippett. Jeez this board has become a riot lately.
well i certainly dont expect him to keep THAT pace throughout. obviously. but yes watching him i think that kid will be one of the most dynamic offensive centers in the league. hes got an incredibly bright future. everytime ive watched him he takes the game over. his skating/speed, ability to control the puck in top speed, iq, offensive attributes, its all incredibly impressive. i dont bat an eye lash sticking with that assertion.
and no i dont see the killer instinct in tippett's game. not yet anyways. whether it be in juniors or in panthers camp. doesnt mean he cant still get it.
if you have a different opinion, thats fine. dont see whats so laughable about it. tippett still produces at a fantastic rate as he has the tools. hes capable of more tho.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Barzal is miles ahead as a hockey player he was originally a top 5 prospect for his draft. Fell because of injury its no surprise he is scoring at the rate he is.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Barzal is miles ahead as a hockey player he was originally a top 5 prospect for his draft. Fell because of injury its no surprise he is scoring at the rate he is.

But does he have character and size? I don't think so and, thus, he's bound to fail. Any minute now...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->