Prospect Info: Owen Tippett (2017, #10 overall), Saginaw Spirit (OHL), signed ELC on 7/19/17

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I hope no one is judging a ceiling of a 18y 10th overall pick based on few NHL games. They need to be in the juniors not in the NHL.
1 year can make a crazy difference, look at someone like Rantanen for example.

Hepo is on an helluva streak it seems, WJC should be fun.

Reactions: Pukboy5kroner

Jakeybonz2

Feb 19, 2017
I hope no one is judging a ceiling of a 18y 10th overall pick based on few NHL games. They need to be in the juniors not in the NHL.
1 year can make a crazy difference, look at someone like Rantanen for example.

Hepo is on an helluva streak it seems, WJC should be fun.
not judging his ceiling, but making an educated guess based on his juniors numbers and his preseason and regulsr season games with the panthers. noone expected him to score 7 goals in 7 games but I did expect something like 2G and 1 assist with a not -6. that would've been nice. he showed almost no flashes of brilliance which is what good players do early when first getting their shot. they make some great moves and some dumb ones and the dumb ones get them sent down to work on things and make less of them. from him I really only saw dumb moves. he did nothing that stood out at all and made me think well yea he did a few dumb things but man can he move/shoot/pass/dangle. he was simply nothing. and his numbers really aren't crazy impressive in juniors. I picture him having a rough year with the steelheads this year and then fading into obscurity. we should trade him now before that happens. we have 2 amazing fwds coming up anyway. shame we don't have a pure goal scorer but he wont be one and if he is, his liabilities will make him not worth it.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
not judging his ceiling, but making an educated guess based on his juniors numbers and his preseason and regulsr season games with the panthers. noone expected him to score 7 goals in 7 games but I did expect something like 2G and 1 assist with a not -6. that would've been nice. he showed almost no flashes of brilliance which is what good players do early when first getting their shot. they make some great moves and some dumb ones and the dumb ones get them sent down to work on things and make less of them. from him I really only saw dumb moves. he did nothing that stood out at all and made me think well yea he did a few dumb things but man can he move/shoot/pass/dangle. he was simply nothing. and his numbers really aren't crazy impressive in juniors. I picture him having a rough year with the steelheads this year and then fading into obscurity. we should trade him now before that happens. we have 2 amazing fwds coming up anyway. shame we don't have a pure goal scorer but he wont be one and if he is, his liabilities will make him not worth it.
God. This board. He was relatively quiet but you must have must those games where he dangled around people and showed of sole incredible hands.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Anyone who thought he would produce with MacK at center.... LOL.

He was shown the speed and strength of the league, ala Huby. He will be back and better next season, maybe he gets some time late in the year in the AHL.

Jakeybonz2

Feb 19, 2017
God. This board. He was relatively quiet but you must have must those games where he dangled around people and showed of sole incredible hands.

he dangled once and nothing came of it. lets not go crazy. i definitely missed those games u mention despite seeing every second of every game this year. anyway forget him. his career is over :) this threads about hepo the beast.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

You don't simpy judge these picks after few games when they are 18y. They are junior players and it will show.
Tippett certainly didn't earn a roster spot in the pre season and should have been send down before the season.

Mikko Rantanen did nothing in his 1st few NHL games, got ofcourse lot of bad comments but look at him now, a damm beauty on Colorados roster.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
How could any of you have watched seven games of Tippet and compare him to Jake Virtanen?

A power forward to a sniper.

Virtanen went into camp fat. He looks like a fine player now, will never live up to his spot.

Tippett played with MacK and Haley and now he's a dumb hockey player. Oh boy

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
hes got the speed, hes definitely got the shot, hes got the dimensions, has surpringly silky hands. IQ and willingness to get involved is what will determine his future. i feel like he just waits in the open areas hoping his linemates will do the dirty work and find him for shots. i want him to be more aggressive in that sense. and the iq. if he can get both of those under his belt then he should be great.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
hes got the speed, hes definitely got the shot, hes got the dimensions, has surpringly silky hands. IQ and willingness to get involved is what will determine his future. i feel like he just waits in the open areas hoping his linemates will do the dirty work and find him for shots. i want him to be more aggressive in that sense. and the iq. if he can get both of those under his belt then he should be great.
The kid has a shot to make the NHL but only as a top 6, which makes it more difficult. They talk about all this speed he has but to me he's a bit above average in the speed department. I didn't see him blowing around defensemen like Tro (who has excellent speed but not elite). He is like Barkov in that he doesn't like contact which in the sport you better have quite a few assets to compensate. :)

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
The kid has a shot to make the NHL but only as a top 6, which makes it more difficult. They talk about all this speed he has but to me he's a bit above average in the speed department. I didn't see him blowing around defensemen like Tro (who has excellent speed but not elite). He is like Barkov in that he doesn't like contact which in the sport you better have quite a few assets to compensate. :)
How does Barkov not like contact? Just because he doesn’t rag doll people doesn’t mean he can’t power through them. Jeez.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
How could any of you have watched seven games of Tippet and compare him to Jake Virtanen?

A power forward to a sniper.

Virtanen went into camp fat. He looks like a fine player now, will never live up to his spot.

Tippett played with MacK and Haley and now he's a dumb hockey player. Oh boy
Virtanen wasn't even really a PWF, he was just ahead in physical development that it gave him an edge over his peers and he relied on that one advantage too much at the junior level, to a point where he mismanaged the development of other areas in his game. Then when he made it to the show, the trick didn't work anymore against NHL players and he wasn't good enough in other areas to compensate.

I don't see the comparison tbh and I was pleasantly surprised by Tippett's commitment to playing defence in the 7 games. He's no Barkov by any means, but it wasn't for a lack of trying.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Virtanen wasn't even really a PWF, he was just ahead in physical development that it gave him an edge over his peers and he relied on that one advantage too much at the junior level, to a point where he mismanaged the development of other areas in his game. Then when he made it to the show, the trick didn't work anymore against NHL players and he wasn't good enough in other areas to compensate.

I don't see the comparison tbh and I was pleasantly surprised by Tippett's commitment to playing defence in the 7 games. He's no Barkov by any means, but it wasn't for a lack of trying.

He got the Huby treatment, lets hope they were right again.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
How does Barkov not like contact? Just because he doesn’t rag doll people doesn’t mean he can’t power through them. Jeez.
The guy is a napkin. When have you ever seen him follow through on a solid hit where he knocks someone to the ice? How many times have we seen the other player initiate contact and Barky bounce to the ice like a 160 lb 17 yr old? Just because someone can power thru players doesn't mean they like contact. He has the strength and size to get to the net but he backs off a hard hit as he doesn't want to make someone mad. Why, because he's afraid he might have to fight.

Nick is another guy who doesn't like hard contact. He's big and strong and can use his body to protect the puck and get to the net but he avoids hard hits most of the time. To Nicks credit he will drop the mitts and at least won't turtle up in most instances. Although the look on Nicks face when Barkov was popped over the boards was one of terror as he flinched big time rather than try to protect Barkov from injury. Barky got in scrum with 185 lb Kucherov and talk about being rag dolled. The guy needs to take some boxing lessons and learn to protect himself and stand up to guys. Otherwise players are going to continue to bully him. :)

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
The guy is a napkin. When have you ever seen him follow through on a solid hit where he knocks someone to the ice? How many times have we seen the other player initiate contact and Barky bounce to the ice like a 160 lb 17 yr old? Just because someone can power thru players doesn't mean they like contact. He has the strength and size to get to the net but he backs off a hard hit as he doesn't want to make someone mad. Why, because he's afraid he might have to fight.

Nick is another guy who doesn't like hard contact. He's big and strong and can use his body to protect the puck and get to the net but he avoids hard hits most of the time. To Nicks credit he will drop the mitts and at least won't turtle up in most instances. Although the look on Nicks face when Barkov was popped over the boards was one of terror as he flinched big time rather than try to protect Barkov from injury. Barky got in scrum with 185 lb Kucherov and talk about being rag dolled. The guy needs to take some boxing lessons and learn to protect himself and stand up to guys. Otherwise players are going to continue to bully him. :)
I didn’t even read your post after napkin. Crosby must be a napkin too.

Reactions: BabyBarkov

South Florida Canuck

Biggest Canucks Superfan in South Florida
Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
I'm really rooting for this kid. I think he will be a good one. I don't understand people complaining about the pick. It's not like he was a reach at pick #10. He was arguably the best player available and he filled a position of need which was a scoring winger. Tippett was a no-brainer pick.

South Florida Canuck

Biggest Canucks Superfan in South Florida
Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
Yea, I'm thinking some people have just unrealistic expectations for an 18yo to be an impact player at a draft year (those are few). He has the speed and the shot. He showed some nice moves being up as well. He was shooting literally from everywhere and I was thinking that it was perhaps just taking things a bit too literally with a huge will to make an impression to the staff and prove his worth. When he matures he will use his own instincts more up within a system than follow things strictly to the letter. Should be just fine. Will be interesting to follow.

Yeah, it's not like he's Lawson Crouse who showed absolutely NOTHING and who was basically just a big body. This kid has skill and the scoring touch which is why he was drafted. If anything, he's the anti-Lawson Crouse. People comparing him to Virtanen is just plain stupid. If he gets the coaching that he needs, he could end up being a complete beast

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

This proves that you're just throwing crap at the wall to see what might stick, you don't even watch the games.

Reactions: FinlandPanther

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
OK, before everyone calls him a bust.

Team Canada always picks plays based off 'need' rather than just taking the BPA. It's stupid.

The last few years the team has been taking role players instead of guys like Tippett.

Every year it's the same thing, 'why can't we score?'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->