Owen Sound Attack 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Tough game today against the Soo certainly went the distance between the clubs.

Good for OL to get the monkey off his back with a shootout win over the Soo, certainly make the Hounds start to scratch there heads if the Attack and Hounds meet again in the playoffs
I was wondering why this little fellow was running down 3rd Ave. after the game:
:m-dance:

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Todd Gill quoted in today's Owen Sound Sun-Times says Guzda starts today against the Greyhounds. Back to back shutouts anyone?
I read the same thing. For whatever reason, he obviously changed his mind.

Wow. What a game. That insane paddle save by Villalta in the 3rd gives the Soo a point. Another 3rd period blown lead, but not going to complain about a win over the Hounds!

Guzda with his first career shutout, and Oli with a win over the #1 major junior team in the country. He needed that kind of rebound game. And the fact that it came in a shootout makes it even better--tells him (and the team) that he can win in those situations. Hopefully this weekend is huge for the goalies' confidence going forward.

Now for Durzi to come back!

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
Durzi skated in warmups today. At the end of warmups he did many hard skate back and forth between the blue and red line. I thought for sure that meant we'd see him.

My daughter and I have to stop leaving after 2 periods that's 2 Sundays in a row.

Any time you can knock off the #1 team in the country it's a good day. Great job by the whole team. OL did well getting the win. And it's big for the confidence. But man the hounds are dangerous.

Reactions: AttackSound

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Bit of an odd final weekend finish for the Attack - Wednesday in Flint, Thursday in Windsor and then home on Saturday. Seems a little different than usual the way it is scheduled.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Bit of an odd final weekend finish for the Attack - Wednesday in Flint, Thursday in Windsor and then home on Saturday. Seems a little different than usual the way it is scheduled.

In this league it's little the schedule is like the wheel of fortune game show you never know what sort of schedule your team is gonna get and there' been some odd finishes for clubs over the past few seasons

TO Attack Fan

Mar 4, 2018
FYI - Some recent chatter on the 67's board about their goaltending situation earlier in the season, with mention of OL. Apparently Owen Sound goaltending is ranked 19th!

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
FYI - Some recent chatter on the 67's board about their goaltending situation earlier in the season, with mention of OL. Apparently Owen Sound goaltending is ranked 19th!

No OL is ranked 19th. Mack doesn't get on the list because of his playing time. The heartburn when you look at that list is Propp is 6th and Vella is 13th.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
No OL is ranked 19th. Mack doesn't get on the list because of his playing time. The heartburn when you look at that list is Propp is 6th and Vella is 13th.
I recall DD's interview with Bisson following the Bowman/Lazer trade before the season. He talked about the need for an experienced goalie (hence acquiring ZB), and stated that Vella needed to prove himself in this league. Well, good for Vella, he is doing just that. Won the CHL goalie of the week award in February. And doing it all on a mediocre Mississauga team. Unless you're getting a bona fide #1 goalie (e.g., DiPietro, Helvig, Wells), why not hang on to your picks and at least give the guy you already have a chance to see if he can do the job? Especially if the guy you already have has been shadowing a guy named Michael McNiven.

'Experience' in the crease hasn't paid off so far this year.

That said, of course I hope Oli can build off his shootout win vs. the Soo and put up a (consistent) good showing going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: OSMike

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Maksim Sushko sign a 3 yr deal with Philly today , starting next season .

Hope we can get a couple imports like him and Palmu next year.

ohlfanos

Jul 21, 2006
owen sound ontario
Sushko will be back as a 19 year old....entry level does not mean he gets a free pass...his only option is Flyers or here...he will be back. Just because he signed this entry level does not mean he is gone.

Reactions: Noofgoof

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
With 3 games in 4 days to close out the regular season and the potential return of a big piece in SD on the blueline would go a long way against the Knights in round one.

Hopefully rumours are true and that he gets some time to get back to game speed and is in the lineup tonight against the Firebirds. That would really help the teams special teams and give another piece to the post-season push IMO.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Sushko will be back as a 19 year old....entry level does not mean he gets a free pass...his only option is Flyers or here...he will be back. Just because he signed this entry level does not mean he is gone.

I may be wrong but I thought that rule only applies to domestic players, imports are free to play in ECHL or AHL.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
I may be wrong but I thought that rule only applies to domestic players, imports are free to play in ECHL or AHL.
I think it depends on where the player is playing when he is drafted by the NHL...If he was drafted out of CHL he has restrictions.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Millpond I think your right
He might be. Or is it based solely on where they were playing the year before they were drafted? Sushko was in the O the year before his draft right? A lot of posters on here (HF's OHL threads) seem to be under the impression that if a kid signs his NHL entry level deal he's gone. Yet there's still occasionally guys like Kole Sherwood and Jalen Smereck who have an NHL deal, are OA's who are ECHL/AHL available and are still in the O. Anyway, just stopped by to say "do us both a favor and handle your business tonight Attack". Seriously, good luck. Looking forward to getting what might be my last look at a couple kids in the O that I'm a fan of.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
I don't know whether the same rules regarding CHL players and ELC's apply to imports as they do to domestic players. If they do, then I'd fully expect Sushko back with the Attack next season as I can't see him making, much less sticking with, the Flyers. Assuming the rules do NOT apply to imports and therefore he could technically play in the AHL...I guess I would question why the Flyers organization would want him in the AHL next year. Sushko has had a great campaign for sure, but I don't think I would go as far as to say that he has nothing left to prove in the OHL. He could be a real leader on this Attack team next year.

If I had to guess, and again I don't know all the rules about this, I wonder if the signing now would enable him to play with the Flyers' farm club in the AHL playoffs once the Attack's season is over. Just checked the AHL standings, Lehigh Valley is second place in their conference. Looks like they could make a long playoff run, while Attack could be done in 1-2 rounds, depending on goaltending/coaching.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Sushko was drafted from the OHL,so he either plays in the NHL or OHL,or goes home with NHL teams blessings
I am guessing he returns for his last year of Junior.More then likely no O/A year for him.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I would love to see Sushko back with the Bears next year.

We could possibly return him, Suzuki, Gadjovich, Hancock. And of course Dudas etc.

Sushko has the potential to be a 100 pt guy in this league.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Good start to the final weekend with a 7-1 victory over the Firebirds. With a bit of luck in the standings and final weekend home ice is still a possibilty of the Attack starting the post-season against the Knights.

The Attack have had a good season this year staying in the top half of the western conference after a stumbling start to the season on many different levels.

With a bit of luck 4th will still be in the sights of the team and games 1 and 2 will be in the Bayshore.

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
Great to see Durzi back. I was hoping for a lot of PP's so we could see how it faired with him back on the point again. The team now has 7 20+ goal scorers with Szypula very close to 20. Pretty passing on the 3rd goal by the top line and on the 7th goal Durzi shows his vision with a fake shot/pass to Szypula. The line of Szypula, McKenzie and Lyszczarczyk is coming together, maybe this coach isn't as bad as he seems, we were all up in arms when he broke up the Sushko, Dudas, Szypula line.

I would have liked to see a showdown between rookie goaltenders with Cavallin vs. Guzda.

Win and let the chips fall where they may, home ice or not, the playoffs is going to be exciting and you know the bayshore will be ROCKING.

Reactions: Noofgoof

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Back in November , I never believed home ice advantage was possible for this group. I was wondering if we'd do anything other than squeek into the playoffs.

The Attack have had a strong second half, and while missing g key guys at different stages.

Good work, keep it going !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad