Owen Sound Attack 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
4 goals that were basically breakaway. Is Gill asking the D men to play further up in the zone or were these mistakes? I like our top 4 Friend, Durzi, Phillips, Bourque but I may like 1 more top 4 D man after watching last nights game. Gudza played well, only 1 weak goal that I saw. Sarnia was getting out of there zone pretty easily, championship teams have a relentless forecheck, I didn't see that as much as I wanted to.

Current wish list top 9 forward who is a beast on faceoffs. Proven second pairing d man. At this point I don't see goaltending being the biggest issue. And yes I know we are only 4 games in.

They're a work in progress.

Sarnia took advantage of their speed and a rookie goaltender. Good for them.

Good news, the boys have got points in every game so far, and they still have a long way to go.

OSMike

Conch Shell Crew
Mar 25, 2014
Owen Sound
I don't think they took advantage of Gudza at all. Yes the speed of the Sarnia forwards on the 4 breakaways were definitely part of the reason but being prepared for a fast opponent means playing a little further back and being more careful when you pinch. I am not worried but it's something to talk about :)

Edit man the quote insertion on this new site is hard to figure out.....

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
A puck moving d man who could quarterback the PP would be great. Friend has a lot of strengths, but that is not one of them.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
With just the one game Wednesday night, I watched the Attack play Sarnia. It was very obvious that Palmu and Centorame are missing on the point for the powerplay. They need to get someone to lead their powerplay back there. Also, though early in the season, a problem this team seems to have is they do not have that second line presence like they did last season. It will certainly be tough to replace James and Palmu but to be one of the top teams in the OHL they will need to address that. I'm reading a lot on here about Struthers, Sushko, Lyszczarczyk, Dudas, Szypula, Campbell being veteran talent but is there a true second line in this group? If the coaches can find that chemistry within this group that will be great, but if not, I'm thinking we will see a few deals made.

Reactions: OSA

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Attack to take on the defending memorial cup champions Windsor Spitfires.

The Attack have a good opportunity to close the gap on the Spitfires and Rangers in the standings as standings go.

The team has certainly done a good job getting points early on especially in games that look like there an uphill battle in the early stages of games.

Bowman has done a very good job of keeping the team in games when he has too. Hopefully the offensive abilities of Durzi,Struthers and Suzuki can continue to produce early on against the Spits tonight.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Well tonight spoke for itself the team out chanced out played and outscored the Spitfires in all aspects of the game from opening puck drop.

Good to see the team tighten up and limit the Spits chances early on especially on the defensive miscue.

DiPietro was probably the biggest reason why the Spits didn't get shelled by double digits.

Although limiting Windsor to only 2 tallies was something that the team did very well in tight tonight around Bowman.

Still no word on why Pryce and King didn't dressing tonight would have to think that after seeing the team play 5 games and that neither of them suited up for any games thus far would have to wonder if a move maybe on th horizon for them or if the coaches don't want to upset tha applecart of success.

Now it's time to look towards meeting the Kitchener Rangers on Monday for the 2nd meeting of the year

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Well tonight spoke for itself the team out chanced out played and outscored the Spitfires in all aspects of the game from opening puck drop.

Good to see the team tighten up and limit the Spits chances early on especially on the defensive miscue.

DiPietro was probably the biggest reason why the Spits didn't get shelled by double digits.

Although limiting Windsor to only 2 tallies was something that the team did very well in tight tonight around Bowman.

Still no word on why Pryce and King didn't dressing tonight would have to think that after seeing the team play 5 games and that neither of them suited up for any games thus far would have to wonder if a move maybe on th horizon for them or if the coaches don't want to upset tha applecart of success.

Now it's time to look towards meeting the Kitchener Rangers on Monday for the 2nd meeting of the year

Both will be in Monday VS Kitchener. Coaches are now going to be rotating every two games and eventually the best of the bunch will be regulars. So you will see the Groulxs, Moros, Dohertys, Pryce, King, Cameron, beamish all start to fight for those 12th F and 6 D spots

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Poor 3rd period today cost the Attack.
Too many lazy penalties.
More turnovers leading to goals against.

The Attack won't get many games like last Saturday against Windsor.
They'll get the other teams top goaltender.

They've got to be better 5 on 5. Better defensively.

OSAttackFan88

Jan 2, 2015
Bowman needs to make those saves on goals two and three.. soft wrist shots from far out.. degray will be on hot water if goaltending becomes a major issue for this club

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Bowman needs to make those saves on goals two and three.. soft wrist shots from far out.. degray will be on hot water if goaltending becomes a major issue for this club
It may be surfacing already. The Rangers luckily had Dumont dropped into their lap and he is 5-0 already.

Its no secret you need great goaltending at this level in order to win hockey games.

The Attack skaters either need to play a more flawless game, or they need someone who can make stops like McNiven .

Of course who's to say Degray is not already in the market. He made a play for Raaymakers.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
So much for the team defense concept.
I'm getting a little concerned.

Other than the Windsor beat down ( on a rookie goalie), the boys scored exactly one goal in their last four periods of hockey ( and that a 5 on 3 pp ), while allowing 5.

Noofgoof

Mar 29, 2017
I personally dont care what it would take id be going for depietro and soon... ive thought that all along.. however after watching the windsor game and seeing how close he actually seemed with a bunch of the players after the game he was huggin guys laughin and shakin hands you woulda almost already thought he was on our team... i know guys have friends on other teams but that goes a long way when ur bringing in a guy if hes famillar with the guys around him it makes it easier

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
I'm wondering how urgent the GM feels an upgrade is needed in a couple of areas on this team? With no real clear cut-standout team in the West, we may see more and more teams feeling like they can "win", making deals tougher to finalize the longer you wait. Selling teams will ask for more for veteran players when they are getting calls from a number of teams instead of just a couple. Is there a deal to be made for an 18-19 year old goaltender? Is there a deal to be made for a 19 year old Dman (power play guy)? Is there a deal to be made for a 18-19 year old 2'nd line Cman?

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
The year is certainly coming to a critical point for DeGray especially in the evaluation aspect.

Bowman is no McNiven that is very clear at this point thus far into the season. However there are a few players on the team who aren't the players we hope they would be at this point in time e.g. Szypula is no Cordell James and Friend is not a Centroame or Phillips on the backend of the team

So it will more probably be when dose Dale decide its time to improve on key areas of the club and what he's willing to give up to get that improvement for this year.

As the team goes for the future I still think we're in good shape with improving in guys like Roberts and Dudas as well as Struthers so the team dose have a good core to work with still but nevertheless the big question will be when dose Dale decide to make some form of improvement to the roster

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I echo some of these posts.

I've come on here post game and deleted posts about Friend because I want to give him the Benefit of doubt but hes been terrible this season and honestly its not all his fault. The Mental lapses, sure. But Gill is trying to get him to pick up where Centorame left off and thats a problem itself. Jacob is a lousy skater with little to no offensive upside. He's not terrible defensively but this season he looks like a rookie.

I'm really hoping for DeGray to snag Di Pietro from Windsor but they are likely asking for Russell. I would be okay wit giving russell up if we can also add some one like Sean Day to the trade.

I'd imagine DeGray is getting some heat for the goaltending early on. He did say bowman would let in a couple a game but hes only need to stop 20 but at least 2 of those goals each game, woof......lol

I still like the core of this team and think they are still the clear cut favorite in the west. Just some of those questions about the team like goaltending and defence have me a bit worried about the long run.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
If this team is to make a deal to better themselves in 3 areas 1. Goal 2. Up the middle 3. The blue line, is the Windsor Spitfires the team to deal with? What asset's would it take to get Dipietro (best goalie in the league), Brown (size and strength at center- if he is returned from Ottawa) and Day (backbone of the power play)? Not to mention all the experience these three players gained in winning the Memorial Cup last season. Do the Attack have enough picks in the cupboard right now or would they have to make a move or two first to acquire a few more picks, as we all know the Spits need draft picks? This blockbuster might sound/look like quite the reach but if the Attack try to continue where they left off last season such a bold deal might just have to be made. Any other thoughts out there?

Last edited:

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
If this team is to make a deal to better themselves in 3 areas 1. Goal 2. Up the middle 3. The blue line, is the Windsor Spitfires the team to deal with? What asset's would it take to get Dipietro (best goalie in the league), Brown (size and strength at center- if he is returned from Ottawa) and Day (backbone of the power play)? Not to mention all the experience these three players gained in winning the Memorial Cup last season. Do the Attack have enough picks in the cupboard right now or would they have to make a move or two first to acquire a few more picks, as we all know the Spits need draft picks? This blockbuster might sound/look like quite the reach but if the Attack try to continue where they left off last season such a bold deal might just have to be made. Any other thoughts out there?

IMO.......blockbuster trades involving this many players is rare. If I'm Windsor, I would rather break these pieces up in separate trades.......better haul in return by doing that. The OHL and future trades this season will be very interesting with "new" sellers in London, Windsor and Erie.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

I don't think the Attack has a stockpile of high picks like some others . .

They aren't noted for all in or all out deals.
And DeGray is reluctant to trade away his homegrown talent.

He is more noted for deals such as the ones made in the summer.

I for one thinks the Attack are fine on forward. Struthers looks good , remember it's his 3rd year and he's not 18 yet. I look for big strides forward this year.

On the blueline, their the same as last year, minus Centorame.

I think the new coaching systems require a bigger adjustment than we fans think .

It was the same the year McGill came in .

I think we will see the team gelling by the end of November , just like last season .

I'm hoping the goaltending holds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad