Oveshkin VS. Malkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Don't flame me for this thread, I know it was already created but many people on this board have followed the WJC and saw Oveshkin and Malkin play so there's probably some new opinion on them.

I saw 2 games of the Russian team and I wasn't that impressed with the big Alexander. I thought he was really selfish. On the other hand, Malkin display his great playmaking abilities along with his awesome shot. After these two games, I'm higher on the tall Evgeny...

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Like you said, 'Oveshkin' is more of a game breaking, goal scoring forward, whereas Malkin appears to be more of a playmaker. Both have looked good in the WJC, I'd say it depends on what you're looking for.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
It could go either way as WVPENS had stated, if you want a real, unbiased opinion, don't talk to Penguins or Capitals fans. Russian poster who get to watch the RSL would be your best bet.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Malkin played better last game IMO, but until he does that with a regular basis I'll still say Ovechkin is better. Malkin's not far behind though. They are both the real deal and I am very high on both right now after finally watching them in action.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Well, it's not easy to say. I've had the chance to watch maybe 10 full games in which Ovechkin was playing, I'd say, split between the '04 World Cup, '05 WJC, and (predominantly) Dynamo games in the Fall '04 time frame. That's still not much to go on, only a start. I've watched far fewer full games featuring Malkin, maybe three, so any attempt at a comparison is fairly pointless. As stated above, regular RSL fans would be the best bet at a real appraisal and comparison.

That said, Ovechkin is co-leader of the WJC with Bergeron right now with 11 points; Malkin trails close behind at 10 points, and that's with the Russian team having had a bye, just as did Canada. These two Russian players are clearly doing something right so far in the tourney, considering that point production is their given role on the team.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Drake1588 said:
Well, it's not easy to say. I've had the chance to watch maybe 10 full games in which Ovechkin was playing, I'd say, split between the '04 World Cup, '05 WJC, and (predominantly) Dynamo games in the Fall '04 time frame. That's still not much to go on, only a start. I've watched far fewer full games featuring Malkin, maybe three, so any attempt at a comparison is fairly pointless. As stated above, regular RSL fans would be the best bet at a real appraisal and comparison.

That said, Ovechkin is co-leader of the WJC with Bergeron right now with 11 points; Malkin trails close behind at 10 points, and that's with the Russian team having had a bye, just as did Canada. These two Russian players are clearly doing something right so far in the tourney, considering that point production is their given role on the team.

There you are, going out on a limb as usual. ;)

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
As a Caps fan I have to :bow: Malkin's ability. He's reminds me of Sundin and then some. If there was ever a doubt, not anymore. Very hard to consider any elite player a consolation prize.

I still have to say though -Ovechkin still a notch above.

If you can ice an average team, you want a guy like AO whose as dangerous 1-on-1 and as dynamic/explosive as anyone. The defense, heart, playmaking all there at elite levels.

If you ice a poor team, Malkin might make it little bit better than AO will. He takes the time to make his linemates that much better. That's not to say that Ovechkin is dependent on his linemates, it's quite the opposite. Just saying that the w/a fair supporting cast, you'd take the more dynamic player each time.

It's really a matter of circumstance. I wouldn't be surprised if Malkin outperformed Ovechkin next season, given the current state of the Caps top 6. It'd be hard to imagine AO not outproducing him in the end, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad