Overwatch - Part 3 - Rise of the Robot

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I wish you could trade skins in this game. I got the Sombra one but I rarely play as her, would love to trade it to someone for a different skin.
Honestly just curious...

But why do people care about things like skins?

I mean, you can't even see your character while you're playing.

If it was the Sims or something, I'd at least partly understand. But putting different dresses on your characters before running around murdering the other team? Just seems nuts.

I understand that I'm apparently the weird one. Everybody else seems to enjoy dressing their murderers up in cutesy little costumes. It's just one of those weird things that baffles me.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Honestly just curious...

If it was the Sims or something, I'd at least partly understand. But putting different dresses on your characters before running around murdering the other team? Just seems nuts.

I understand that I'm apparently the weird one. Everybody else seems to enjoy dressing their murderers up in cutesy little costumes. It's just one of those weird things that baffles me.

Some skins change the HUD like solider's guns and stuff.
You see them during the play of the game intros.
You see them when you doing emoticons.
And it's cool knowing other people see them.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Some skins change the HUD like solider's guns and stuff.
You see them during the play of the game intros.
You see them when you doing emoticons.
And it's cool knowing other people see them.

You really care that much that your guns might sometimes look a little different? Why would you care what you look like to other people? When you're running around murdering the other team, do you really care what cutesy dress their Mercy is wearing? I feel like the entire world's gone nuts and I'm the only one who's sane.

I concede that there's really no point in you responding to me. Just disregard. I will never understand the appeal of it. EVER. It's just dumbfounded me to such an extent that I couldn't help but ask.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
You really care that much that your guns might sometimes look a little different? Why would you care what you look like to other people? When you're running around murdering the other team, do you really care what cutesy dress their Mercy is wearing? I feel like the entire world's gone nuts and I'm the only one who's sane.

I concede that there's really no point in you responding to me. Just disregard. I will never understand the appeal of it. EVER. It's just dumbfounded me to such an extent that I couldn't help but ask.

I actually agree with your points. I'm more or less just playing devil's advocate here. I don't care for skins that much, but they are a fun touch to the game.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I haven't played in months, but I randomly had the urge to play. I downloaded the update, and I'm getting this message:

"No compatible graphics hardware was found. (0xE0070160)"

I guess my laptop doesn't support the current patch? (Yes, I played on a laptop, which is probably the problem. It worked fine a few months ago.)

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I haven't played in months, but I randomly had the urge to play. I downloaded the update, and I'm getting this message:

"No compatible graphics hardware was found. (0xE0070160)"

I guess my laptop doesn't support the current patch? (Yes, I played on a laptop, which is probably the problem. It worked fine a few months ago.)
What gfx card you got?

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
I have no idea. I'm not really a computer gaming/technology person. Oh well.
It looks like some people have been able to fix this problem by changing their screen resolution and then launching the game. Then close the game change your screen resolution back to normal and it should still work.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Just went 8-2 in my placement matches and got placed at like 2550. I carried my team A LOT in those matches, I'm talking like consistently accounting for 50-60% of the eliminations of my team with many play of the games involved. I know supports are important as well, but every match we already had supports so it was never an issue.

Also unlocked my second golden gun, this time for Ana. First one was for Pharah, which seemed fitting.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Thank every god there is the Mercy meta is over (hopefully).

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Thank every god there is the Mercy meta is over (hopefully).
And the Junkrat nerf. I was sick of his remote mines being insta-death if you were just close to them and 3/4 health. Now they pretty much have to be right on top of you to do full damage.

Reactions: Lapa

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I didn't realize this game had such crazy appeal. I'll have to give it a go for the XBOX. What's the state of the game right now? Still tons of players? Lots of major/minor bugs? Etc...

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Honestly just curious...

I know some people have replied but heres my take.

You actually can see the skins because you can see your arms and weapons. Also... emotes go in third person. Part of being / feeling like a badass in a game is looking badass too (to a lot of people). I mean if Batman wore that 1960's outfit all the time he would look silly today.

You aren't weird. There are plenty of people who don't care about cosmetics. But another thing is people just wanting to be different and customized. Its why some people will order a car in blue instead of buying the black one on the lot. Same exact car but different color. People like being custom/different/unique.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I didn't realize this game had such crazy appeal. I'll have to give it a go for the XBOX. What's the state of the game right now? Still tons of players? Lots of major/minor bugs? Etc...
LOTS of players on Xbox, PS4 and PC and there will be for years to come. Blizzard is known for making quality games that last a very long time. They really take their time when making games that's why they don't have a TON of games. There are no gamebreaking bugs or glitches that I know of. I don't think I have EVER run into a cheater in the game or anything. Its just a super-fun game and runs very well (I played on Xbox and PC).

They update the game a lot adding free new maps and costumes to keep it fresh and relevant.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Customization gives a player a more unique experience. I remember designing my emblem in COD BOPS and unlocking new armors in Halo 3 and having it be a lot of fun.

If people want to pay to do so then that's something I personally wouldn't ever do, but have no problem with others doing it

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
i have been.

We need some more teams that aren't korean that are worth a ****

I haven't paid much attention to Korean players outside the recent World Cup and some highlights so I'm only familiar with Lunatic-Hai/Seoul Dynasty players. I'm just tired of their dominance so it's refreshing for me to see NYXL and London doing better at the moment. I've really jumped in the NYXL bandwagon.

Out of western teams from what I've seen it's been Team Envyus dominating all over (OW Contenders) so I'm really surprised that Dallas Fuel is doing so poorly. Though they have put up a good fight against a lot of the teams (first game against Seoul was lot closer than the score showed).

Looking forward to seeing what the Stage 2 brings us with the new patch. Are they gonna go with Moira or is Mercy still gonna be relevant...

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
That's like saying we need more teams not from North America and Europe to actually compete on the world stage in hockey.
Except that the vast majority of Overwatch players aren't actually from Korea

Imagine if 95% of all ice hockey players lived outside of North America and Northern Europe, yet those areas still dominated so much...

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Dallas needs to go.

They're like the esports version of the old school Dallas Cowboys. Clinging desperately to players that brought them glory in the past for one more run, only to not acknowledge their best have long since washed up and are now a punching bag.

Like, they've gotten worse with every week. At least Shangahi has shown improvement.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Just hit GM as a Lucio main for the first time. Climbed like 900 SR since the Mercy nerf. That said I was well below my average but still, f*** that Mercy meta haha

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm still stuck in the doldrums of 2000-2500. (Usually a high plat/low diamond level player but that was when i had a core of people to play with)

It's really incredible how much one person refusing to switch off a character that doesn't work (hello, guy who played Symmetra for an entire match on kings row and didn't help beyond defending the capture point) can totally sink a team, even if the other team members are competent and working together. OWL in a way hurts this too because now you have way more people running trash ass Widows and Hanzos on certain maps because "well the pros can do it!" mentality.

I can play like probably 8 different heroes well depending on situations/maps (Soldier, Tracer on Control, D.Va, Winston, Roadhog, Zenyatta, Moira, Lucio, Orisa) and i can flex to high hell, but sometimes it just isn't enough and that drives me nuts.

There's no carrying in this game unless if you're like in the stupid high echelon (so like streamer/pro player level) of players.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Just getting back into the game a bit after a lot of time off from it. Wondering if the grind is going to be as brutal as it was when I last played. I skipped the entire Mercy meta and have no idea what kills Moira (seems like that's the only needed pick these days).

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Dallas needs to go.

They're like the esports version of the old school Dallas Cowboys. Clinging desperately to players that brought them glory in the past for one more run, only to not acknowledge their best have long since washed up and are now a punching bag.

Like, they've gotten worse with every week. At least Shangahi has shown improvement.

Dallas picking up AKM has been big in stage 2. He’s an incredible soldier player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad