Over the cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
And while I am asking questions, do you really think Nolan 5+ mill will be a hit on TO cap? Again TSN has it on there like that, but then I really don't see the NHL doing that,

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
CrAzYNiNe said:
Anyone else noticed that the Devils are over the cap

http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=6926

Could TSN be wrong(more then likely) or are the Devils going to be looking to dump salary?

This has been covered in other threads.

First, the TSN page lists their actual salary for '05-'06, but the cap hit is based on average salary over multi-year deals. For front loaded contracts (like Madden's is rumored to be), the actual cap hit may be less than his actual salary - for other players it might be more.

Second, If you accept the Brooks CBA 101 piece, teams are allowed to be up to 10% ($3.9M) over the cap during the offseason (until 10/1).

Finally, there is the question of Elias and IR. He is still injured and isn't expected back for a couple of months. If the major injury (10 games and 24 days) exemption kicks in from the start of the season, other players salary could use the replacement salary exemption until Elias comes back.

But all in all, it is very likely that Lou will have to deal someone either before the season starts or before Elias comes back.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
CrAzYNiNe said:
Anyone else noticed that the Devils are over the cap

http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=6926

Could TSN be wrong(more then likely) or are the Devils going to be looking to dump salary?

As TSN notes on its site "The total salary listed for each team is simply a running total of the listed salaries, and should therefore not be considered an accurate representation of each club's salary cap position". There's been a lot of debate over how much of a cap hit some contracts will take (like Maddens), but it's pretty clear that Lou will have some dealing to do to dump salary (thus the daily Colin White trade rumors that appear on the boards). Everyone is still waiting for the CBA to be released to the public to try to figure out where teams stand cap-wise.

Also, keep in mind that Elias is expected to miss roughly the first half of the season, so half his salary likely won't count against the cap.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
CrAzYNiNe said:
And while I am asking questions, do you really think Nolan 5+ mill will be a hit on TO cap? Again TSN has it on there like that, but then I really don't see the NHL doing that,

Hit the search function at the top of the page and your answer will be there. It's been asked a million times already

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
How does the injury provision work? Do you need to wait until the 10 game/23 day provision has been met? Or can you say your injured player will miss that much time and get the cap savings immidiately, with the player, even if healthy, not allowed to play until the 10 game/23 day provision has been met?

If you can designate a player injured, then NJ should be fine with Elias. If you can't, then they would need to be under the cap including Elias' salary.

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005
Egil said:
How does the injury provision work? Do you need to wait until the 10 game/23 day provision has been met? Or can you say your injured player will miss that much time and get the cap savings immidiately, with the player, even if healthy, not allowed to play until the 10 game/23 day provision has been met?

If you can designate a player injured, then NJ should be fine with Elias. If you can't, then they would need to be under the cap including Elias' salary.

Is the salary cap not what is paid out over the course of the season and not a specific figure for the start of the season? You can't spend more then 39 million on salaries over the course of the season.

Last edited:

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
I believe it is defined that you can't be "on pace" to exceed the $39 mil cap. So you can't start the year with a $40 mil payroll, but if you play half the season with a $38 mil payroll and end at $40 mil your fine.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
TheMoose said:
Is the salary cap not what is paid out over the course of the season and not a specific figure for the start of the season? You can't spend more then 39 million on salaries over the course of the season.

Egil said:
I believe it is defined that you can't be "on pace" to exceed the $39 mil cap. So you can't start the year with a $40 mil payroll, but if you play half the season with a $38 mil payroll and end at $40 mil your fine.

I got a chance to specifically ask Doug Wilson and Greg Jaimeson (GM & CEO/Owner of the Sharks) whether the cap was based on total annualized salaries or salary actually spent and got the answer that it was more complicated than both. Based on his vague elaboration, I agree with Egil's "on pace" interpretation - the Salary Cap at any given time is based on $$$'s already spent plus future salary commitments for the rest of the season.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
TheMoose said:
That is true, but you must also be under the cap by Oct. 1st or your team will not be allowed to ice its team until it gets under the $39 Million. Most teams who are spending money, are stilll leaving a $2-5 million buffer just in case the do suffer injuries or want to make trades later in the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad