Status
Not open for further replies.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
What better mentor then some guy name "Super Mario" teach you the in's and out's of the NHL game. With someone with as much raw talent as Malkin, I can't imagine a better player to play beside. If Lemieux was smart, he'd make a long term investment by playing on a line with the kid to make him a better player. Once Lemieux retires, he'll reep the benefits of having a more polished product in Malkin. That equates to more success and more money for him as an owner.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Ovechkin hands down. Malkin will be good and his is incredibly smooth on the ice and nice to watch, but Ovechkin is miles ahead of him and it was evident throughout a couple games at the WJC. Ovechkin didn't even play as well as he could've and still shone.

CJHF13

Miles?

I don't even know if you could say "a kilometer" let alone "miles".

I still perfer AO, even as a Pens fan...But, I think that Malkin might fit in just as good or better with the team we'll have.

In the end, I think that's what it will boil down to-What type of player you need. A big, playmaking center that isn't afraid of contact. Or, an electrifying goal scoring winger.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Til the End of Time said:
How do you figure?

Just about everyone from scout to fan said coming into the draft that the Pen's biggest need was a very good to great playmaking center.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
CJHF13 said:
I still perfer AO, even as a Pens fan...But, I think that Malkin might fit in just as good or better with the team we'll have.

In the end, I think that's what it will boil down to-What type of player you need. A big, playmaking center that isn't afraid of contact. Or, an electrifying goal scoring winger.

Yeah, I can see them drafting an electrifying, goal-scoring winger or a two way d-man with their first pick. Obviously will be in hunt for Crosby if it goes to a draft and not free agency. How's this for a line, Malkin-Lemieux-Crosby.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
nally said:
Yeah, I can see them drafting an electrifying, goal-scoring winger or a two way d-man with their first pick. Obviously will be in hunt for Crosby if it goes to a draft and not free agency. How's this for a line, Malkin-Lemieux-Crosby.

If they were lucky enough to get Crosby that would never be a line . . . . almost never anyways (may do it a time or two to thrill the fans). Even then it would be Mario-Malkin-Crosby. Damn, is that ever a frightening thought to see coming at you if you were a goaltender.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
Just about everyone from scout to fan said coming into the draft that the Pen's biggest need was a very good to great playmaking center.

I recall Coach Olczyk saying that going into this offseason the Penguins biggest priority would be acquiring a playmaking center, namely Zhamnov (which never made sense to me). Malkin wouldn't fill that role for several years, and by that point the big club will probably have a bigger need.

Going into the draft I thought everyone agreed that the Penguin's system lacked skilled forwards (there are not many forwards more skilled than Ovechkin), not a playmaking center in particular.

Look at the Penguins prospect depth chart. Seems to be a plethora of centers... not many good wingers.

Reilly311

The only reason people are saying Ovechkin had a better tournament than Malkin is because he's Alexander Ovechkin, has a shiny visor, and was the 1st overall pick.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Look at the Penguins prospect depth chart. Seems to be a plethora of centers... not many good wingers.

Now that is true, I made the same point earlier. One point that I have made before though, AO is a special prospect, very special it seems. But special forwards come along each draft, maybe with not quite the hype AO had but a notch at most below. Playmaking centers of the ability that Malkin seems to have come along more rarely. That said, if I had the 1st pick last year I would have taken AO, no doubt about it, but I also thought that Malkin was pretty close, and at a position that is tougher to fill at the very top. Nothing has taken place to change my mind about that.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
nally said:
What better mentor then some guy name "Super Mario" teach you the in's and out's of the NHL game. With someone with as much raw talent as Malkin, I can't imagine a better player to play beside. If Lemieux was smart, he'd make a long term investment by playing on a line with the kid to make him a better player. Once Lemieux retires, he'll reep the benefits of having a more polished product in Malkin. That equates to more success and more money for him as an owner.
our last young super star that they tried to team up with 66 was nasland. he was so in awe of 66 that all he did was try to get him the puck and stand back and watch. i remember one time 66 hit him on his but with his stick so he would take the puck and go [he scored ofcorse] but i have to say at this point 66 could use someone to carry the puck down the ice for him. it could keep mario in the game for a few more yr.s

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
No, it's because he made better plays.
:handclap:

Ovechkin is way more ready for the NHL right now. He also is and probably always will be a slightly better player. Malkin is one of those players from my completly nonbiased towards both Ovech and Malkin, that he is supersmooth and makes nice plays and can also score with tons of skill, but doesn't make you go WOW when you watch him. Ovechkin is one of those players that stands out in the game and when he has the puck, you know by his style that it's him and you are scared for your team if you see him with the puck towards your defensive zone. Malkin will be a star IMO but Ovechkin really could be a superstar in the league that is amaizing to watch play. He has that flashy superstar ability. Malkin is a smooth playmaker who's not as super flashy, but still ultra skilled. Ovechkin's visor demonstrates his flashiness in his character to begin with.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
To me Malkin looks like the second coming of Victor Kozlov ( :thumbd: )

Ovechkin is simply better. Opposed to what many seem to believe he's still about 3-4 years away from being a star in the NHL, but when he gets there he'll drop jaws.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
em1ss said:
Last I knew, lockout or not Morozov will be staying in Russia with his contract there.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04213/354740.stm

Malkin will probably not be over here either, there is no transfer agreement with Russia, it expired. Rumour is they want 7 figures now to release someone like him.

Ramzi Abid is not exactly tearing up the AHL, I wouldn't count on him making the big team. Ouellet, Murley and Beech are tearing up the AHL as a line, have to agree with at least two of them making it.
Morozov only has a one year contract with his team, and the question was asked "if the lockout is no more", which I assumed was next season. If the lockout ended tomorrow, Malkin wouldn't be on the team either.

Ramzi Abid is playing awesome in the AHL, and I included him because I believe he'll be eligible for waivers.

Why put all your eggs in one pot like that. Let Malkin make a name for himself on the 2nd line rather then leach off of Lemieux.

I believe thats the best balance of the top two lines. Like I said, training camp will decide, but I think Malkin can come along really well playing with Lemieux and Recchi. That second line can hold its own.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
mazmin said:
To me Malkin looks like the second coming of Victor Kozlov ( :thumbd: )

That's what he reminds me of when I saw him, but Kozlov had it all as does Malkin. It's just a question of whether Evgeni can put it all together and succeed in the NHL. I think he'll succeed though unlike Koz.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
IMO Malkin is more like Sundin than Kozlov. His game is more about sense, power, reach and speed more than finesse. Koz is a better skater but Malkin has better puck sense and is a better long passer. The most impressive thing about Malkin is his uncanny ability to hold on to the puck, draw defenders to him, and let his linemates get open.

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
but he doesnt have a shiney visor... and isnt flashy... and doesnt rush end to end hogging the puck... I never realized how bad he was til this moment... Oh gawd, Oh gawd, what will those poor Penguins do now? Prolly continue beating the Caps every game they play.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
Dark Metamorphosis said:
playing with lemieux next year would do wonders for malkin IMO. jagr has said he wouldn't have been close to the player he developed into if not for lemieux. here's hoping for the end of the lockout.

If wood be foolish to play Malkin with Lemieux. They are far too similar in style. Malking is the playmaker on his line - you don't want to play him with another playmaker.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
octopi said:
Ovechkin looks to be a bit of a puck hog. He kept trying to go into the offenside zone by himself Tues nite. As to who is better, Ovechkin or Malkin, I haven't seen enough of either to make a good decision on that, but I'm sure theres a good reason Ovechkin was scouted as #1 with a bullet. Heck, Florida even tried to draft him the previous year.

Ovechkin is the type of player that you always are going to notice more. He plays a straightforward game - get the puck, use speed and strength to go to the net and score. He'll make the highlight reel plays.

Malkin is more of a system player. He won't stand out as much or even at all unless he has some good linemates to take advantage of his skills. He won't be on the highlight reels like Ovechkin.

Ovechkin can be a star on any team, even a lousy one. Malkin will always need to have support. If you don't have a good team, you definately want Ovechkin. If you already have good players and you want someone who is going to compliment them, Malkin will be just as valuable. This is not to say that you still wouldn't want Ovechkin. It is to say that there is a big difference between the two on a poor team, but much less difference in their value to a good team.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
#66 said:
IMO Malkin is more like Sundin than Kozlov. His game is more about sense, power, reach and speed more than finesse. Koz is a better skater but Malkin has better puck sense and is a better long passer. The most impressive thing about Malkin is his uncanny ability to hold on to the puck, draw defenders to him, and let his linemates get open.

All very well said, outside of the part about Kozlov being the better skater. I digress.

Kasparov*

Reilly311 said:
The only reason people are saying Ovechkin had a better tournament than Malkin is because he's Alexander Ovechkin, has a shiny visor, and was the 1st overall pick.

EXACTLY!!

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
EroCaps said:
All very well said, outside of the part about Kozlov being the better skater. I digress.
I think that Malkin will end up being a better skater than he shows now but Kozlov is a pretty elite skater when considering big men. He's fast, can zig-zag either way, and (IMO what really sets him apart from Malkin, skating wise) his stopping and starting is very good. I think that one of Malkins flaws is his stopping and starting. He almost looks like a roller hockey player doing loops to change direction. Along with his first few steps, his skating flaws are correctable and minor so I don't see any problems in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad