Ovechkin v Brule

Status
Not open for further replies.

stocktrader

Berkut said:
Most idiotic comment of the entire thread.....
How can they possibly be leaders on their teams?
My point is Brule and Crosby have much better leadership qualities than Ovechkin and Malkin. Ovechkin will never be a team leader.
Brule will be a great leader one day. He will be the type of player who will get in the trenches in the playoffs and fight for a Stanley Cup.

YoungGun

Jan 10, 2003
Windsor, Ontario
Visit site
Of all the players in the NHL, Ovechkin reminds me the most of a young Sergei Fedorov. Fedorov had(still has sort of) every tool you need to dominate on offence and defence. Fedorov's only problem was that he never brought his "A" game on a consistent basis (especially later on in his career when things outside of the game played with his psyche). When he wanted to be at his best he was THE best combo of offence and defence in the entire NHL during his mid twenties. He was also a money player come playoff time, he would step his game up big time and display all of the skills when it mattered most. Ovechkin is about the same size and strength as Fedorov and has (from what I've seen) the same type of unusual speed, passing ability, shot quickness and hockey sense as Sergei. If he can improve on his defence at the NHL level there is no doubt that he could become the complete package and may even be better than Fedorov if he can bring his "A" game on a more consistent basis. The guy who stated that Sergei Fedorov is not that complete of a player may be talking about the current Sergei Fedorov at age 36 and playing for Anaheim. The Fedorov of 1994 and during his mid twenties was arguably the best player in the NHL maybe only behind Jagr and Mario skill wise.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
stocktrader said:
My point is Brule and Crosby have much better leadership qualities than Ovechkin and Malkin. Ovechkin will never be a team leader.
Brule will be a great leader one day. He will be the type of player who will get in the trenches in the playoffs and fight for a Stanley Cup.

He will also be the guy who takes an incredibly stupid penalty late in the game when you're team is up 4-3.

stocktrader

Leachmeister2000 said:
He will also be the guy who takes an incredibly stupid penalty late in the game when you're team is up 4-3.
He plays with a lot of emotion.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
stocktrader said:

Hence the reason why he tends to get carried away quite often. Someone needs to temper him or at least show him the last part of Taxi Driver, maybe he'll feel a bit calmer on the ice.

stocktrader

Leachmeister2000 said:
Hence the reason why he tends to get carried away quite often. Someone needs to temper him or at least show him the last part of Taxi Driver, maybe he'll feel a bit calmer on the ice.
But if that is his biggest weakness, I can live with that. I would much rather someone play with too much emotion than not enough.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
stocktrader said:

A better question, why can't they? Both Malkin and Ovechkin speak fluent English so that absurd argument is out the window.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
stocktrader said:

It's true that Jillbear played some incredibly stupid hockey early on last season. I mean, this guy WANTED to fight or something........... :shakehead Coach had a deep discussion with him, and the stupid decisions went down. If he can concentrate on SCORING GOALS instead of fighting and taking dumb penalties, he'll have one heck of a hockey career.

stocktrader

norrisnick said:
A better question, why can't they? Both Malkin and Ovechkin speak fluent English so that absurd argument is out the window.

No they can't. Beyond the English problem they also lack class.

Could you imagine Stevie Y, sitting on the bench in the intermission and pointing to the name on his back. ''I am the mighty Yzerman".

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
stocktrader said:

Could you imagine Stevie Y, sitting on the bench in the intermission and pointing to the name on his back. ''I am the mighty Yzerman".

They lack class?

Pot, meet kettle.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
stocktrader said:

They do, despite your strongest assertions to the contrary. They are kids, odds are they were just responding to the crowd.

Stevie got himself tossed with 34 PIMs worth of unsportsmanlike conducts and misconducts in a game against Nashville last season. He's not always calm and collected either.

stocktrader

norrisnick said:
They do, despite your strongest assertions to the contrary. They are kids, odds are they were just responding to the crowd.

Stevie got himself tossed with 34 PIMs worth of unsportsmanlike conducts and misconducts in a game against Nashville last season. He's not always calm and collected either.
Are you suggesting Stevie is not a good leader?

And what does being calm and collected have to do with anything.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
stocktrader said:
Are you suggesting Stevie is not a good leader?

And what does being calm and collected have to do with anything.
Not in the least. I'm stating that he at times has done things out of character that might not be categorized as having "class."

Showboating at a Junior tournament, IMO, is indicative of nothing with regards to how that player will conduct himself in the NHL. Even if they start out cocky it won't last too long and all will be well.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Crosby showboated by scoring that goal from behind the net, and he wimped out by skipping the CHL prospects game. He was also shut down by London in the Memorial Cup final.

These events show that obviously Crosby lacks the class to be a leader or Stanley Cup champion in the NHL.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think that Brule will be the better player. Not only is he a good goal scorer, but he has more grit and plays with no fear.
Although it is quite evident that Ovechkin is one of the top international players in the world, he is still unproven in the north american style of play, whereareas Brule is already adapted and become a force in canadian juniors.

Plus he has the saaaaweeeeeetest name. Though Ovechkin has a pretty sweet ring to it.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
hockeyman28 said:
I think that Brule will be the better player. Not only is he a good goal scorer, but he has more grit and plays with no fear.
Although it is quite evident that Ovechkin is one of the top international players in the world, he is still unproven in the north american style of play, whereareas Brule is already adapted and become a force in canadian juniors.

Plus he has the saaaaweeeeeetest name. Though Ovechkin has a pretty sweet ring to it.
Ovechkin just made the Russian men's national team at age 19 for both the world cup(nhl rinks) and championships while Brule didn't even get selected for the junior team. And where are you getting Brule has more grit and is more fearless than Ovechkin? Sounds like you kind of pulled it out of your ass.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Dark Metamorphosis said:
Ovechkin just made the Russian men's national team at age 19 for both the world cup(nhl rinks) and championships while Brule didn't even get selected for the junior team. And where are you getting Brule has more grit and is more fearless than Ovechkin? Sounds like you kind of pulled it out of your ass.

Well, if you think I havent seen both of them play many times you are mistaken. I like how physical Ovechkin is, as he maybe one of the hardest hitting Russian forwards I have ever seen, I do think that Brule throws more of himself into each hit ala tootoo. Brule is also a fearless fighter and is not afraid to drop the mits, while I have never seen Ovechkin do that. And lets keep this civilized, no need to suggest that i took anything out of my rear. Especially considering I am sitting down.

bryan579

Oct 13, 2004
its funny cause ovechkin the year before his draft year helped his team win gold at the junior championship while brule hasnt even been on a team yet

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I like Brule as much as the next guy(well, except for monster_bertuzzi, who i sometimes suspect IS brule ;) ) but to try to claim he's better than ovechkin is...kind of foolish. the gulf between ovechkin and crosby is a lot closer than it is between ovechkin and brule.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
nomorekids said:
I like Brule as much as the next guy(well, except for monster_bertuzzi, who i sometimes suspect IS brule ;) ) but to try to claim he's better than ovechkin is...kind of foolish. the gulf between ovechkin and crosby is a lot closer than it is between ovechkin and brule.

I agree with you there, Ovechkin is definitely the better player now, but in 10 years i see it differently. I think Brule will be better and more of a leader/role player.

stocktrader

hockeyman28 said:
I agree with you there, Ovechkin is definitely the better player now, but in 10 years i see it differently. I think Brule will be better and more of a leader/role player.
That's right. It is obvious Brule will be a better leader.
Right now, Ovechkin is the better player, but I also think Brule will turn out better.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I really get sick of the well he made the x national team or world junior team and so and so didn't argument. Well lets just say that Russia is far more willing to go with the young guys in any tournament then Canada is. Infact Canada will almost always use older players in more prominant roles at the WJC. Brule in my mind was better then many players on the last WJC team and was far more deserving of an invite to camp then the likes of Meyer, Fraser, McArthur, Ladd and company. At the time Brule was first in WHL scoring I beleive or if not 2nd. Brule should of been on the team and at worst the fourth line center. but Canada was looking for older players and wanted to win, not help show there next star prospect. Russia on the other hand almost seems to go outta there way to have at least 2 underage young stars on there teams. In international senior play Canada will always choose good NHL players over terrific prospects. Russia on the other hand seems to be in a rebuilding mold as much of there team was of the young upand coming veriaty. So I think the argument between Ovechkien sp has done this vs that at so and so level really isnt a good comparison because if he were Canadian, he probably wouldn't of made the senior squad due to it's depth and the politics involved in squad selection ie proven NHL stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad