Ovechkin v Brule

Status
Not open for further replies.

stocktrader

Leachmeister2000 said:
I don't think it's that lop-sided of a comparison. It's quite clear though that most people pick Ovechkin.
I don't think it is that lopsided. Intangibles certainly go to Brule. Ovechkin is a year and a half older.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
rtafts said:
Fedorov really isn't that complete of a player. :/

:( :( :( ... asking "who's more complete; Ovechkin or Brule?" is legitimate. But that comment hurts me. He is my favorite player, so I'm biased, but I think most would disagree.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
rtafts said:
Fedorov really isn't that complete of a player. :/

Sorry I should clarify then Sergei Federov. Not Fedor.

And if you still disagree then you are very very new to the game of hockey.

At his prime he was a top 5 player in the league offensively and defensively. He has slowed a step or two, but I remember after he was in the league for a few years, the Red Wings GM went on record saying he would listen to trade offers for any player on his team except Federov. Including Yzerman... That is how highly this guy was thought of at one time.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
toshiro said:
Brule reminds me very much of stevie Y at His age.

Really? He reminds me more of a young Fleury. Smallish, feisty with an incredible shot and some wheels. I would put his shot on par or a bit above Schremp, and I love Schremp's shot. Of course Ovechkins is better then both, and that is saying something.

If Brule can stay away from the troubles Theo had, he could end up a very similar player

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Sorry, but this isn't even close as Ovechkin has already proved his worthiness in international play and is a more sure fire nhl'er unlike Brule at this point. If Gilbert was bigger, this comparison would be more fair, but Ovechkin easily at this point.

Is there anything Ovechkin can't do? I might be the only ones to say this, but there is a possibilty that Ovechkin will be a better player than Crosby. There isn't any role Ovechkin can't fit into and excels in every category, it's just amazing. Too bad he's stuck in washington :(

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
McDonald19 said:
haha...when he wants to be he may be the most complete player in the league...the only problem is he tends to lack the desire to play with 100% effort every game.

if tahts about fedorov then i can second that

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Ovechkin

But am I the only one who thinks its unfair to compare players at this age? For god sakes they're both still kids, Ovechkin is 20 and Brule is 18! In 10 years the answer to this question will be legit. Of course its Ovechkin right now...

Alfons

May 3, 2004
I really agree ovechkin is complete player and I´d also like to add to all his skills mentioned before that he also has the instinct of a scorer a la Luc Robitaille. He always seems to be in the right place and always seem to find the net. I think he is a very effective scorer, he can score highlight real golas on breakaways and the garbage goals too.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
A very interesting comparison as the two players play similiar brand of a gritty finnesse game. Brule under the tutalege of Hey sp has become a very complete player this past year and expect more of that to continue next year. Brule seems to be very underatted these days. The kid managed to finish 3rd in the WHL in scoring playing through a seperated shoulder and other nagging injuries for most of the year. This also on a team that boasted a grand total of 3 other players in the top 100 in the WHL in scoring. I thought he had an incredible year under the circumstances. Also to say Ovechkien was better at the same age, what are you going by WJC??? etc.. I would probably agree with you on your sentiment but you should back it up a bit. As far as im concerned Brule should of been at least a camp invite for our team, but we never seem to take young players to the WJC's. Back to the question theres no doubt that Ovechkien is better and more complete now as he is older. For the future Ovechkiens size will probably always give him the advantage over Brule, however There isnt a lot to choose skill set wise. I fully expect Brule to breakout and absolutly dominate next year.

stocktrader

When all is said and done it would not surprise me if Brule has had a more successful career than Ovechkin.
Brule is very focused and driven in whatever he chooses to do.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
stocktrader said:
When all is said and done it would not surprise me if Brule has had a more successful career than Ovechkin.
Brule is very focused and driven in whatever he chooses to do.

:biglaugh:

stocktrader

surixon said:
A very interesting comparison as the two players play similiar brand of a gritty finnesse game. Brule under the tutalege of Hey sp has become a very complete player this past year and expect more of that to continue next year. Brule seems to be very underatted these days. The kid managed to finish 3rd in the WHL in scoring playing through a seperated shoulder and other nagging injuries for most of the year. This also on a team that boasted a grand total of 3 other players in the top 100 in the WHL in scoring. I thought he had an incredible year under the circumstances. Also to say Ovechkien was better at the same age, what are you going by WJC??? etc.. I would probably agree with you on your sentiment but you should back it up a bit. As far as im concerned Brule should of been at least a camp invite for our team, but we never seem to take young players to the WJC's. Back to the question theres no doubt that Ovechkien is better and more complete now as he is older. For the future Ovechkiens size will probably always give him the advantage over Brule, however There isnt a lot to choose skill set wise. I fully expect Brule to breakout and absolutly dominate next year.
I agree Brule is becoming underrated. People expected him to lead the WHL in scoring, but they have no idea how many injuries Brule played through.
Believe me when I say Brule is very tough mentally. I also expect big things from him next year.

Oilers1*

great_one98 said:
Sorry, but this isn't even close as Ovechkin has already proved his worthiness in international play and is a more sure fire nhl'er unlike Brule at this point. If Gilbert was bigger, this comparison would be more fair, but Ovechkin easily at this point.

Samsonov will be the best in his draft year because he played against men in the IHL and therefore is proven. Thornton played against 15 year-olds and is the next Daigle.

stocktrader

monster_bertuzzi said:
Brule is very talented, it was only a year ago that people had Brule in the class of Malkin/Ovechkin/Crosby etc. Injuries slowed him down this year even at that he had 88 points in 69 games!
Of course he is in the same class as Malkin and Ovechkin. I love Brule's drive, grit, shot, speed etc... He plays the game with no fear. Also very intelligent, scholastic athlete of the year.
For me I would take Brule over Malkin any day, and it would be a toss up with Ovechkin.

He just isn't in the same class as Crosby is all.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
stocktrader said:
Of course he is in the same class as Malkin and Ovechkin. I love Brule's drive, grit, shot, speed etc... He plays the game with no fear. Also very intelligent, scholastic athlete of the year.
For me I would take Brule over Malkin any day, and it would be a toss up with Ovechkin.

He just isn't in the same class as Crosby is all.

Stock, would you be willing to back some of your predictions up with friendly wagers? Brule over Malkin, Crosby over Ovechkin etc. I'm looking to make bank. :D

stocktrader

EroCaps said:
Stock, would you be willing to back some of your predictions up with friendly wagers? Brule over Malkin, Crosby over Ovechkin etc. I'm looking to make bank. :D

Who would you rather lead your team to a Stanley Cup?
Two guys that can't even speak english or Brule and Crosby?

The next phenom in the NHL will almost certainly come from North America and in particular Canada. The same can be said for the NBA. The next phenom there will be from the states. And for those that want to jump over this statement, Michael Jordan said the exact same thing.

I'll take your bet any day of the week. ERO CAPS!!!!! :biglaugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
stocktrader said:
Two guys that can't even speak english or Brule and Crosby?

The next phenom in the NHL will almost certainly come from North America and in particular Canada. The same can be said for the NBA. The next phenom there will be from the states. And for those that want to jump over this statement, Michael Jordan said the exact same thing.

I'll take your bet any day of the week. ERO CAPS!!!!! :biglaugh:
Most idiotic comment of the entire thread.....

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
stocktrader said:
Two guys that can't even speak english or Brule and Crosby? :biglaugh:

I agree. I hate foreigners. That's why I like hockey. If there is one sport that hasn't been spoiled by a bunch of dirty, stinking, non-english speaking, strange custom having foreigners, it's hockey. In fact, I'm willing to bet that both Malkin and Ovechkin are a couple of vodka slurping, arms racing, communists. I mean, aren't they all?

Xenophobia is so fun! Why don't you all give it a try? Look what a blast me a stocky are having! :jump:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->