Ovechkin to stay in Russia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
moneyp said:
Make 850k with 15% of that in escrow, which he may never see. Ditto with the 4 million.

And what will the rules be regarding RFA signings? Do teams still have to give up two livers and a lung like the last agreement? If so, than what Ovechkin makes comes down to what the Caps decide to offer him, which may not be 4 million if they can't fit it into their salary cap. So then, what are his options? Aside from that, 2 million (escrow free!) in Moscow goes about as far as 4 million in the States, anyway.

ARBITRATION

Players will be arbitration eligible coming off of their ELS contract. Arbiters will not be allowed to take current team cap room into consideration in determining their awards. If the Caps can't fit in an arbitration award, they'll need to trade players, restructure contracts, or walk away.

It is very unliklely for the players to lose a significant chunk of the escrow amount. In order to lose any, the average team payroll has to exceed $30.6M (based on an assumed $1.7B leage revenues). In order to lose all 15%, the average team payroll would have to be over $35M. The only way there will be a significant escrow giveback will be a precipitous unanticipated drop in revenues.

mooseOAK*

HockeyCritter said:
How can you pay a transfer fee if there's no transfer agreement?

And no, the Caps have not paid any Russian team for Ovechkin's release --- they will not do so until their is a signed IIHF transfer agreement in place.
My shame in not knowing of the IIHF transfer agreement status. What have I done with my life?

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
HockeyCritter said:
How can you pay a transfer fee if there's no transfer agreement?
You negotiate the transfer terms with the individual team. There is no requirement that an agreement between the IIHF and the NHL must exist in order for transfers to take place. It was negotiated by both sides to ensure standard terms for transfers. Even now it appears that the Russian Ice Hockey Federation has no interest in participating in a new agreement. So the Caps may still have to negotiate with Ovechkin's team even if an agreement is reached.

JohnnyRyall

Nov 2, 2004
Weary said:
You negotiate the transfer terms with the individual team. There is no requirement that an agreement between the IIHF and the NHL must exist in order for transfers to take place. It was negotiated by both sides to ensure standard terms for transfers. Even now it appears that the Russian Ice Hockey Federation has no interest in participating in a new agreement. So the Caps may still have to negotiate with Ovechkin's team even if an agreement is reached.

But in what sense(s) does Ovechkin have a team in the RSL? If he's free to go from one RSL club to another, wouldn't he be just as free to come to WAS?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
BigE said:
You'd think it wouldn't be about the money. It bugs me a little that this seems to be the only consideration here. Perhaps he's another Yashin/Mogilny - perhaps not.

It is sad to see, however, such a talented player surrounded by purely money talk.

Any word on Malkin? I suppose he'll stay in Russia for one more year. I like him better than AO.

From what I have seen thus far Malkin seems to want another year in Russia. And to be honest the consensus among most Pen's fans seems to be fairly positive towards the idea of him coming over for 2006-7 and getting another year under his belt in Russia. For that matter that may even be more true for Fleury. I would say that most Pens' fans expect Fleury to remain in the minors for another year. He is only 20 and at times struggled last year. So 2006-7 seems as likely as not to be the big coming out party for both.

As for AO and the money part . . . I am not even going there . . . ;) . I got enough grief the last time that I did so.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
gonzopher said:
But in what sense(s) does Ovechkin have a team in the RSL? If he's free to go from one RSL club to another, wouldn't he be just as free to come to WAS?
I don't know all the intricacies of Russian player movement. But it appears that Dynamo received money so Omsk could obtain Ovechkin, so I don't think Omsk will let him go for free.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Weary said:
I don't know all the intricacies of Russian player movement. But it appears that Dynamo received money so Omsk could obtain Ovechkin, so I don't think Omsk will let him go for free.

That's not the way I read it. Dynamo seemed to receive cash in order to drop their arbitration complaint, allowing Omsk and AO to continue with their agreement without Dynamo interference. And that agreement, allows AO to opt out by 24:00 EST Wednesday (ie midnight tonight)

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
heshootshescores said:
That's not the way I read it. Dynamo seemed to receive cash in order to drop their arbitration complaint, allowing Omsk and AO to continue with their agreement without Dynamo interference. And that agreement, allows AO to opt out by 24:00 EST Wednesday (ie midnight tonight)
If he opts out, I don't think that means that Omsk still doesn't own his rights. It would be like restricted free agency in the NHL where a player not under contract still has his rights owned by one team.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
cleduc said:
Somewhat. But what about the lack of a deal between the NHL and the Russian Federation ? Has that been resolved ? Last I heard, the Russians want to haggle on a player by player basis and the NHL don't want to do that.
In this case though, I believe that Ovechkin is a UFA in the RSL so the RHF is SOL and AO is going to be in the NHL playing for GMGM under the C-A-P.

GSC2k2*

heshootshescores said:
Why would Russian teams use EST? Outside north America, legal agreements use either local time or GMT.

RLC

Aug 7, 2004
Montreal
Ovechkin says no to russia.
He has just used his out clause to come back to the NHL
tsn:6:15 pm

GSC2k2*

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to hear Massager and the rest of em continue to spin how the rookie cap/triple cap is going to keep players in Europe.

I hope Spungo did not consume all of his humble pie.

About that Russian Super League ....

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
gscarpenter2002 said:
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to hear Massager and the rest of em continue to spin how the rookie cap/triple cap is going to keep players in Europe.

I hope Spungo did not consume all of his humble pie.

About that Russian Super League ....

What's more likely is what Alex Frolov is doing right now, signing with Omsk and then saying that he won't sign with LA unless they match his deal. Since he's already fulfilled his rookie contract obligations he can play where ever the most money is and then just let the years tick off. It makes more sense for players like that than rookies who are just delaying getting put under the rookie cap.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Digger12 said:

As I've said repeatedly: after the last agreement there were doomsdayers who said young players would not play in the NHL just as they are saying now. Until I see otherwise I will not think for a second that a top flight player would not come here. Even if you have to wait for it... you can't earn 7.8 million too many other places.

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
oil slick said:
As I've said repeatedly: after the last agreement there were doomsdayers who said young players would not play in the NHL just as they are saying now. Until I see otherwise I will not think for a second that a top flight player would not come here. Even if you have to wait for it... you can't earn 7.8 million too many other places.
And great players want to test their mettle against the best competition available.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Epsilon said:
What's more likely is what Alex Frolov is doing right now, signing with Omsk and then saying that he won't sign with LA unless they match his deal. Since he's already fulfilled his rookie contract obligations he can play where ever the most money is and then just let the years tick off. It makes more sense for players like that than rookies who are just delaying getting put under the rookie cap.

Crap, I just read about that over on the Kings board.

My guess is Taylor puts out a good offer and he signs in L.A., but you never really know. I'm curious as to the dollar figure put forth by Omsk.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Frolov definitely has them over a barrel. He should be able to squeeze the Kings for $3M/yr, I should think, given the leverage he has right now.

I can't believe the Caps got out of this as lightly as they appear. Good deal.

Chilly Willy*

habs_24x said:
is it just me or do you see another ''Yashin'' coming to the NHL?

People whined about Jagr?

Ovechkin is a whole new breed of spoiled brat.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
ChillyWilly said:
People whined about Jagr?

Ovechkin is a whole new breed of spoiled brat.
Because he covered his bases just in case it the PA and the NHL couldn't get their proverbial act together?

:dunno:

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
HockeyCritter said:
Because he covered his bases just in case it the PA and the NHL couldn't get their proverbial act together?

:dunno:

I've got no problem with Ovechkin, I think a lot of people are ragging on him because of what they percieved to be respictivly disrespect and cowardice during the WJHC and they are projecting it on to this new muddle with contracts and teams. IMHO, the WJHC was a bit of immaturity, and a bit of serious injury. No biggie to me. As far as this new thing goes, maybe a bit of covering his bases, maybe negotiating tactic. Other players have done it, and he's young and easily influenced(He's certainly not coming up with all these things himself, right?). Personally, I think he'll be great. His parents don't come off as annoying as Lindros's, I don't think he'll pull a contract stunt like Yashin, and I don't see him being a really whiny type. I think Washington has a good one here.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
I swear, if he were Canadian he’d be hailed as the greatest thing since sliced bread ----- I think some people heap so much criticism on the kid (ascribing character traits as an 18-year old that he will mostly grow out of) simply because he is Russian.

:shakehead

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
HockeyCritter said:
I swear, if he were Canadian he’d be hailed as the greatest thing since sliced bread ----- I think some people heap so much criticism on the kid (ascribing character traits as an 18-year old that he will mostly grow out of) simply because he is Russian.

:shakehead

I believe you're right, altho I've seen some(not nearly as much) disparagement of Crosby as well... I think they'll both be great! Now if only Crosby can somehow end up on the Wings ... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->