Status
Not open for further replies.

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
TSN.ca

Ovechkin, who is currently in Omsk training with the team, was recently quoted in the Russian sports daily Sport Express as saying that if an arbitrator had decided he could stay in Omsk, then he would stay in the Russian Super League, but if it was decided he had to return to Dynamo ''I would pack my stuff quickly and go to the NHL.''

Ovechkin can make more money playing with Omsk next season than as a rookie in the NHL as league has scaled back salaries and bonuses on entry level contracts in the new CBA.

''In Russia, it's the wild west. Cash passed hands,'' Meehan said. ''That's my guess.''

Is this what is going to happen...not only with European players who have to make that decision to leave their family, their home and everything they know, but perhaps for highly skilled North Americans?

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
ZaphodBeeblebrox said:
TSN.ca

Is this what is going to happen...not only with European players who have to make that decision to leave their family, their home and everything they know, but perhaps for highly skilled North Americans?

Not likely, and especially not with the free agency rules. The sooner they start playing in the NHL, the sooner they can become UFA. Plus, there's the whole issue of playing with the best of the best. While the Russian Super-League is competitive, it's not the NHL, and if a player is concerned about their long-term development, they're best to put themselves against the toughest competition available.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
ZaphodBeeblebrox said:
TSN.ca

The title is a bit misleading. Edit- the article where Ovechkin talks about staying in Omsk definitively was under some skepticism.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
The whole business of $1.8M v $850k is overplayed by some. The best rookies will make their bonus money and take their A's for $1.7M, with the uber-rooks perhaps dipping into the B's and trophy money.

I bet he comes over.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
ZaphodBeeblebrox said:

No.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
sveiglar said:
The whole business of $1.8M v $850k is overplayed by some. The best rookies will make their bonus money and take their A's for $1.7M, with the uber-rooks perhaps dipping into the B's and trophy money.

I bet he comes over.
There are going to be restrictions on the types of bonuses that can be offered, and if it's not Ovechkin that decides to stay, it will be someone else. A young stud Euro will eventually be granted unrestricted free agency in the league at age 28 whether they've played seven years in the league or not, so why not make $2 million per year until that time and THEN come over? Overall, we're going to see fewer Europeans and Russians in the league when the salaries that many of them can be offered here is considerably lessened.

Patman

Feb 23, 2004
www.stat.uconn.edu
moneyp said:
There are going to be restrictions on the types of bonuses that can be offered, and if it's not Ovechkin that decides to stay, it will be someone else. A young stud Euro will eventually be granted unrestricted free agency in the league at age 28 whether they've played seven years in the league or not, so why not make $2 million per year until that time and THEN come over? Overall, we're going to see fewer Europeans and Russians in the league when the salaries that many of them can be offered here is considerably lessened.

But we're talking about Ovechkin... who could probably make the max 850K for 3 years then make 4 million the next 5 years at minimum.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
moneyp said:
There are going to be restrictions on the types of bonuses that can be offered, and if it's not Ovechkin that decides to stay, it will be someone else.

I agree that it may be a deterrent to some, but I think that the type of player that can command $2M in Europe is the type of player that can hit his schedule A's. If missing A's is a concern for some, those aren't likely guys that will get big Euro paydays anyway.

I think we'll know what Don Meehan thinks of the NHL rookie bonuses tonight. If he feels Ovechkin can hit them, then I think he'll come over. Hopefully he comes anyway because of a desire to play in the NHL, but obviously money must play its part.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Patman said:
But we're talking about Ovechkin... who could probably make the max 850K for 3 years then make 4 million the next 5 years at minimum.
Make 850k with 15% of that in escrow, which he may never see. Ditto with the 4 million.

And what will the rules be regarding RFA signings? Do teams still have to give up two livers and a lung like the last agreement? If so, than what Ovechkin makes comes down to what the Caps decide to offer him, which may not be 4 million if they can't fit it into their salary cap. So then, what are his options? Aside from that, 2 million (escrow free!) in Moscow goes about as far as 4 million in the States, anyway.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
In todays washington post...

Ovechkin Faces Deadline...

Alexander Ovechkin, the Washington Capitals' No. 1 draft pick last year, has until midnight tonight to decide whether he will wear a Capitals uniform next season or play in Russia, his agent, Don Meehan, said yesterday.

"Alex has a very, very tough decision to make," Meehan said by telephone from his Toronto area office.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
discostu said:
Not likely, and especially not with the free agency rules. The sooner they start playing in the NHL, the sooner they can become UFA. Plus, there's the whole issue of playing with the best of the best. While the Russian Super-League is competitive, it's not the NHL, and if a player is concerned about their long-term development, they're best to put themselves against the toughest competition available.

Thats true for one whole year. If Ovechkin plays in the NHL now, he becomes a free agent at age 26. If he doesnt, he becomes a free agent at 27, regardless of how many years he plays in Russia. If Ovechkin has an offer of 1 mil (and I've heard rumours that it could be as high as 2), its easily in his best interest to stay in Russia. After taxes, his take home pay in the US would be less than half what he would be making in Russia. Really the only rational for coming over would be because he want to play against the best players.

mooseOAK*

"Alex has a very, very tough decision to make," Meehan said by telephone from his Toronto area office.

I wonder if Don gets his commission if Ovechkin signs in Russia?

On another note, I thought that Washington paid the Russian league for Oveckin's release or did that not happen.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The new entry level is not bad

An agent told the Post that the NHL's soon-to-be-ratified CBA will cap entry-level salaries at US$850,000, but will allow players to earn another US$850,000 in performance bonuses and up to US$4-million more if he finishes in the top 10 in goals, assists, points, or wins a major award, such as the Calder Trophy. Goalies would receive similar bonuses.

"The entry-level system is not bad at all," a top agent told the Post. "It could be very lucrative. It's based on merit. If you perform well, you will make a lot of money"

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/hearsay.jsp

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
Hmmm.....how much of a signing bonus would the Caps be willing to give Ovechkin if it weren't for the ELS limits? Perhaps they would be willing to part with that same sum as a 'transfer fee' for acquiring Ovechkin from Omsk. Perhaps Omsk in a gesture of kindness would be give Ovechkin a significant portion of that 'transfer fee' as a transfer bonus.

missK

Aug 1, 2002
Lightning country
Visit site
moneyp said:
Make 850k with 15% of that in escrow, which he may never see. Ditto with the 4 million.

And what will the rules be regarding RFA signings? Do teams still have to give up two livers and a lung like the last agreement? If so, than what Ovechkin makes comes down to what the Caps decide to offer him, which may not be 4 million if they can't fit it into their salary cap. So then, what are his options? Aside from that, 2 million (escrow free!) in Moscow goes about as far as 4 million in the States, anyway.

Toronto Star

Compensation to teams losing restricted free agents has changed to a maximum of four first-round picks, from five.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
You'd think it wouldn't be about the money. It bugs me a little that this seems to be the only consideration here. Perhaps he's another Yashin/Mogilny - perhaps not.

It is sad to see, however, such a talented player surrounded by purely money talk.

Any word on Malkin? I suppose he'll stay in Russia for one more year. I like him better than AO.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Compensation to teams losing restricted free agents has changed to a maximum of four first-round picks, from five.

Wow! So only two livers and half a lung. How generous of the owners!

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
moneyp said:
Wow! So only two livers and half a lung. How generous of the owners!

Yeah, and the potential to be a full UFA at the age of 25, six years earlier than under the old CBA.

What slavedrivers...

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
Timmy said:
Yeah, and the potential to be a full UFA at the age of 25, six years earlier than under the old CBA.

What slavedrivers...

Yeah, but the salary cap also makes those draft picks more valuable. Since drafted players generally play for below market value, a good crop of young players is necessary for fitting a contender under a cap.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
mooseOAK said:
I wonder if Don gets his commission if Ovechkin signs in Russia?

On another note, I thought that Washington paid the Russian league for Oveckin's release or did that not happen.
How can you pay a transfer fee if there's no transfer agreement?

And no, the Caps have not paid any Russian team for Ovechkin's release --- they will not do so until their is a signed IIHF transfer agreement in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->