Ovechkin shows why he is # 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KariyaIsGod*

monster_bertuzzi said:
He's a better playmaker, yes, but Ovechkin is twice the goalscorer.

:biglaugh: Are you joking?

Crosby is not Ron Francis here...

KariyaIsGod*

SectionX said:
uh crosby is clearly playing on a team with more offensive talent than ovechkin. what is it, Lemiuex, Palffy, Leclair, Recchi and gonchar and tarnstrom from the blueline.

Yeah, and those 6 sure looked great last night..
:biglaugh:

Clearly, they have some rust to shake off.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
DrMoses said:
Yeah, and those 6 sure looked great last night..
:biglaugh:

Clearly, they have some rust to shake off.

The advantage Sid has from having them on the team may be more long term than current. Most of these guys, as great as they are, are past their primes. But in terms of assisting Sid in his "youngest guy in a long time to play in the NHL "year (Bergeron was close), these guys may be absolutely ideal.

In contrast, Ovechkin may be ready for the role as the go to guy in Washington. He may even be a dominant player this year. Sooner than most expect. He could run away with the Calder.

This has no reflection on Sid (outside the hype). The last two guys to win the Calder in their draft year (Samsonov, Lemieux) were born in October and they didn't have to contend with all the guys who would have had their rookie year the previous year.

The main thing for Sid this year is staying injury free and learning to excel in the best league a kid his age has ever played in. At the same age Gretzky was (edit: he was in the WHA) and Lemieux was just starting his third and final year of junior. He may not be ready to win the Calder this year. He may not be ready to be the youngest ever to win the Calder, and win it inspite of the "would be sophomore" competition.

But he's ready for the challenge!

Last edited:

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Lionel Hutz said:
It was tounge in cheek. The constant pimping is tiresome and its been going on by the same group of posters in every thread on every topic for the past 2 years.

:handclap: :bow: :clap:

the only word for it is what you used - pimping.

let all the kids have a couple of months to adjust to the NHL game they are just starting and we can all enjoy how good they turn out to be, and start to rank them with something more that juvenile crushes.

The original post on this thread - "shows why he is #1" - set the stupid tone for what followed. Why am I not surprised?

I am glad that rookies around the league had good starts last night.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
At the same age Gretzky was finishing his first and only year of junior and Lemieux was just starting his third and final year of junior.

You were doing fine until you just couldn't resist the inevitable comparison that would make "the kid" look just a little bit better.

Get your facts straight:

Crosby - Born Aug 7/87 - plays first pro game at the age of 18 years 2 months, give or take a couple of days.

Gretzky - Born Jan 26/61 - plays first pro game (WHA) in Indianapolis in the fall of 1978 - Age 17 years 8 months more or less. That follow one year of what would now be called Major junior (at 16), and two years of what would now be Junior A (starting at 14).

Stick to what you know.

I am Jack's Fish

You know people, there is a great "Brodeur is over-rated" thread that can use some more horse-flogging...

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I am Jack's Fischel said:
You know people, there is a great "Brodeur is over-rated" thread that can use some more horse-flogging...

You know, after the first game of the season I'm thinking that Atlanta, Nashville, and Carolina should be contracted, while Tampa Bay should be moved to Winnipeg...

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
i love how great some posters are. The guy was just displaying how great it is that a future hopeful icon is performing up to par, like many would have done if Crosby scored, and he gets bashed? what a joke...

i for one am thrilled he is doing well so far, tho its only one game, hopefully tomorrow or saturday, whenever he plays next he will continue the wave of short lived success thus far

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
DrMoses said:

So you're saying that Crosby doesn't have 549 career goals and is the only player besides Gordie Howe to record 21 or more seasons with 20 or more goals? Or is it that Francis is in the Top 20 all time in goal scoring that makes him not Crosby?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
zetterberg40 said:
i love how great some posters are. The guy was just displaying how great it is that a future hopeful icon is performing up to par, like many would have done if Crosby scored, and he gets bashed? what a joke...

i for one am thrilled he is doing well so far, tho its only one game, hopefully tomorrow or saturday, whenever he plays next he will continue the wave of short lived success thus far

If you can not see why a thread entitled 'Ovechkin shows why he is # 1' . . . after one whole game . . . is idiotic and inflamatory on its face, then I see no hope of convincing you otherwise. But I will at least try. If a thread had been started doing what you claimed, saying that AO looked pretty awesome and had a great debut, I doubt that there would have been much controversy. I in fact wholeheartedly agree with those sentiments. I was impressed. This thread did none of what you claim it did however. Nor was it intended to. This thread was entirely trolling for a reaction and in fact got just what the thread starter wished for.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Jaded-Fan said:
If you can not see why a thread entitled 'Ovechkin shows why he is # 1' . . . after one whole game . . . is idiotic and inflamatory on its face, then I see no hope of convincing you otherwise. But I will at least try. If a thread had been started doing what you claimed, saying that AO looked pretty awesome and had a great debut, I doubt that there would have been much controversy. I in fact wholeheartedly agree with those sentiments. I was impressed. This thread did none of what you claim it did however. Nor was it intended to. This thread was entirely trolling for a reaction and in fact got just what the thread starter wished for.

You make a pretty valid point, maybe the title should have been

"Ovechkin shows why he is probably #1 after 1 game and the Penguins were facing the Devils".

;)

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Jaded-Fan said:

true, but a lot of ppl are being very sarcastic and not sticking to the topic, after a while it gets pretty annoying, repetitive and pointless. Its getting harder and harder in here these days with quality conversations without it getting out of control rediculous

SwOOsh*

Lionel Hutz said:
Did anyone say that? I don't think any reasonable people are challenging that contention.

Personally, I now despise Ovechkin. Not because of anything he did, its because of posters like Eurocaps, Swoosh, CSKA etc.

What did I do?

Transported Upstater

EroCaps said:
The media is making a bush mistake ignoring Ovechkin and comparing Crosby to Lemieux and Gretzky.

It'll probably be a blessing in disguise for Ovechkin, bc in the end I can't find anything about Crosby's game outside of his dialect that makes him that much more valuable to the NHL.

Regardless of which player is better as of right now, Crosby's importance to the NHL is FAR greater.

Transported Upstater

Epsilon said:
You know, after the first game of the season I'm thinking that Atlanta, Nashville, and Carolina should be contracted, while Tampa Bay should be moved to Winnipeg...

:handclap: :yo: :bow: :clap:

Transported Upstater

DrMoses said:

I think Ron Francis is one of the most underrated players ever...

Vic Rattlehead*

VanIslander said:
Boston drafted both Joe Thornton and Sergei Samsonov early in the first round of the draft a few years ago.

Samsonov dominated his rookie season winning the Calder trophy. Thornton struggled and was sent down.

Who went on to emerge as the bigger star and more successful career to date?

He was kept on the fourth line all year, to be honest.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
gb701 said:
You were doing fine until you just couldn't resist the inevitable comparison that would make "the kid" look just a little bit better.

Get your facts straight:

Crosby - Born Aug 7/87 - plays first pro game at the age of 18 years 2 months, give or take a couple of days.

Gretzky - Born Jan 26/61 - plays first pro game (WHA) in Indianapolis in the fall of 1978 - Age 17 years 8 months more or less. That follow one year of what would now be called Major junior (at 16), and two years of what would now be Junior A (starting at 14).

Stick to what you know.

Your right, and Gretzky obviously would have won the Calder (and he outplayed all the sophomores also)in his "draft year" if he wasn't ruled ineligible due to WHA play. Still 6 months older than Sid in first NHL season though.

Transported Upstater

Lionel Hutz said:
Did anyone say that? I don't think any reasonable people are challenging that contention.

Personally, I now despise Ovechkin. Not because of anything he did, its because of posters like Eurocaps, Swoosh, CSKA etc.

And North Americans can't be biased?

What about that time I heard someone try to tell me Glenn Anderson makes Valeri Kharlamov look talentless?

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
It goes both ways.

Most of the NHL fans (of teh other 29 teams) are getting sick of the Crosby hype.
And to be honest, so am I, even being a Pens fan.

IMHO; Ovechkin is the better player at the moment. And there are a few more rookies who I think will do better than Crosby this year.

That said... Crosby has the most potential.

And maybe surprisingly.. If I'd have to choose now a prospect and say "he's gonna have the best career".... I'd pick Evgeni Malkin over the entire rookie class currently in the NHL.

but you know what they say about opinions...

BTW; saying you DESPISE AO cos of something some fans said?? Well, they probably only said that cos of something Pens fans and the media are saying about Crosby.

Like someone said... Why can't you just enjoy both their games and be happy you get to watch them??

Last edited:

Transported Upstater

Corto said:
It goes both ways.

Most of the NHL fans (of teh other 29 teams) are getting sick of the Crosby hype.
And to be honest, so am I, even being a Pens fan.

IMHO; Ovechkin is the better player at the moment. And there are a few more rookies who I think will do better than Crosby this year.

That said... Crosby has the most potential.

And maybe surprisingly.. If I'd have to choose now a prospect and say "he's gonna have the best career".... I'd pick Evgeni Malkin over the entire rookie class currently in the NHL.

but you know what they say about opinions...

BTW; saying you DESPISE AO cos of something some fans said?? Well, they probably only said that cos of something Pens fans and the media are saying about Crosby.

Like someone said... Why can't you just enjoy both their games and be happy you get to watch them??

Penguins fans should consider themselves lucky, for the first time in a while. Good for them, Pittsburgh deserves it...

Tighina

Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
How can you compare a 20-y.o. with 2 solid seasons of adult professional hockey and an 18-y.o. who's only played against kids before? You can't. And it's very understandable that Ovey blasted into the league like it's the easiest thing in the world, while Crosby's debut was underwhelming.

They'll both be great players eventually and will likely have a lot of respect for each other, even if their respective fans find it easier to throw feces around. It's probably all a reaction to the hype. Oh, well, what can you do.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
TransportedUpstater said:
And North Americans can't be biased?

What about that time I heard someone try to tell me Glenn Anderson makes Valeri Kharlamov look talentless?

Were they slurring their speech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad