Ovechkin or Crosby

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
This post is adressed to some weel-known posters here ! :rolly:

I know that Crosby is a year younger, but how would you compare the 2 ? Is Ovechkin's offensive game as high as Crosby's ?
Who would you take ? My Panthers are up for another rough start and a rough season so I'm getting used to the fact we could draft Ovechkin ?
How good is the kid ?
I saw Crosby play a couple of times and he really impressed me !

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Ovechkin has a better size and use it very well , his skating and speed are very good he's not Kostantin Kotltsov but his mix of Speed/Size is just perfect . He can change the tempo of a game with a hit , an amazing pass or just by leading the play while the others follow . His hockey sense his top notch .

He's compared to Owen Nolan with better passing skillz .

He played

Here's some quotes on Alexander :

Ovechkin is a big, fancy skater with spectacular stickhandling skills. He has exceptional maturity and understanding of the game for a kid his age. According to a scout, "Alex is a player who could be unreal. He makes defenses get that deer in the headlights look everytime he touches the puck". He also adds, "(Ovechkin) likely will adapt better than any of the others. Talent-wise, he is in the top 5 in the world... so far. He can score at will. He also has size, and could grow to 6'4" before he is drafted. Just a great combination of a player. I guess he is a more rounded and filled out version of Joe Thornton. (Ovechkin) will get lots of attention and could go first or second overall."

Some have noted that the last 17-year-old who had a similar impact on the tournament was Wayne Gretzky. For a more recent comparison, others have pointed out that Ovechkin has been a far more effective and complete player here than Ilya Kovalchuk was as an 18-year-old in Moscow a couple of tournaments ago.

Still at the age of 16, Ovechkin led his team to first place and won the scoring at the 4 Nations Tournament in Sweden in early September with six goals and one assist in three games.

Playing with seasoned pros, Ovechkin has quickly established himself as a regular second or third liner on the Dynamo Moscow a top team in one of the best pro leagues in the world.

Links :
Link 1
Alexander Ovechkin
Russian Prospect

---

The great one said few week ago that Crosby was the best skilled played he saw science Mario Lemieux , Crosby has been training hard at PRO summer camp for 3 years now with NHLers . He 's actually the best player in the QMJHL and he scored a lot of clutch goal so far .
nouvellefr230

Here's some links :
99 on Crosby
Midget AAA for 15 years old Crosby

The choice between the 2 is very difficult to do but i'll go with Alexander as he already played with PRO and i think he has all the tool the be sucessfull in the NHL .

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
To me seeing both play live gave me an oppertunity to compare their games. Though I love Ovechkins game, still I would have to say I would take Sidney Crosby as know one thinks and sees the game out as well as him.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
I say this without intending any malice or sarcasm: rather than wait for the same people to say the same things, use the search function (search either Crosby or Ovechkin or both in the Prospects board). You'll find dozens of threads with the comparisons you are seeking without having to wait for the re-hash.

Dr_Chimera*

sveiglar said:
I say this without intending any malice or sarcasm: rather than wait for the same people to say the same things, use the search function (search either Crosby or Ovechkin or both in the Prospects board). You'll find dozens of threads with the comparisons you are seeking without having to wait for the re-hash.

Such blatant recycling would make Redline blush!

Sammy*

sveiglar said:
Or even better yet, search "ovechkin and crosby" & have it show results in posts.
Any post that has both names in it should pop up (if the search function is not acting screwy).

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
mariano said:
Crosby plays in the Q, where offense is easy. Never forget that. You can also be sure that he will be drastically overrated. Canadians are deperate for a "Great White Hope" to show that Euros are not the more skilled players.

:joker:

#37-#93-#27*

mariano said:
Crosby plays in the Q, where offense is easy. Never forget that. You can also be sure that he will be drastically overrated. Canadians are deperate for a "Great White Hope" to show that Euros are not the more skilled players.
It may be easier, but he's a rookie and still leading the league in points. No one here is even citing his numbers anyway but since you want to go that route why aren't the other star future NHLers doing that considering they're two years further in development, why isn't his team mate who was drafted in the first round doing that, he's two years older and two years ahead in development?

Oh and arguably the best NHLer of all time came up through that league, he sure was as good as advertised.

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
mariano said:

Ignorance.

pepchew

Jul 12, 2003
Visit site
#37-#93-#27 said:
It may be easier, but he's a rookie and still leading the league in points. No one here is even citing his numbers anyway but since you want to go that route why aren't the other star future NHLers doing that considering they're two years further in development, why isn't his team mate who was drafted in the first round doing that, he's two years older and two years ahead in development?

Oh and arguably the best NHLer of all time came up through that league, he sure was as good as advertised.

Good point. Personally I don't like to build guys up too much at such a young age, but I feel the need to point something out. Crosby and Lemieux started junior at the same age. Currently, Crosby is on track to score more goals and more than points than Lemieux did as a 16-year-old. Does this mean he'll be as good? Who knows? The point is he is an unreal 16-year-old player.

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
There are so great things here on HF Board. I'm just getting a little sick of people deploying their frustration here, making lessons to everybody, ven writing about re-harsh when thay have written 3 296 post in less than 2 years.

Why not just let people have fun, enjoy life, and have dreams. There are people here who are teenages or very young adults. Lets everybody have fun.

And if you don't like the thread, just go to another one. And get relax.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
mariano said:

this comment of "where offense is easy" shows total lack of knowledge. The QMJHL has been down in scoring last year and so far this year, why...I guess you don't know, because it is getting more defensive. The OHL last year was a higher scoring league, and this year it could be the same thing.

I love the overrated part here, so far he has done nothing but prove people wrong and till you have seen him play live I guess you will never get to see how fluid he is on the ice. When he was in Bantam here in Cole Harbour he was featured in the paper because he got 200 points in the year which was a record, and he did this as a 13 year old. When he was Bantam age (14 years old) he played Midget AAA here, people said that at such a young age he will be over powered here, not only did he almost get 200 points in the year but he played a game of Junior A hockey for the Truro Bearcats and was only like 3 or 4 points away from breaking the all time record for points by a 18 year old. Then people said at the Air Canada Cup that the west boys were going to kill him, well he had something like 21 points in like 4 or 5 games and was the MVP. Then Shattuck where he played for their prep team with guys who where 85 born and 86...he was 87 born, he had a rediculas amount of points and almost made it to Zach Parise #'s as two years younger than what he was, then the Canada Winter Games where he faced the top competition from the 86 born year in Canada and some select 87 borns, well he lead the entire tourny in points and took his team past Manitoba which was a long shot by far. At the Macs tourny he was on the All-World team and did super well there. He then played for Canada at the U-18s the first time a player that young played in them, he lead Canada in points and was among the tournament lead in goals. Now the QMJHL he is taking by storm. Yeah this kid hasn't done much to deserve praise yet.

Leafsfan20

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
For the record, Doug Wickenheiser had 170 pit in 71 games in the WHL. He was chosen first overall and had a season high 55 points once! He never met his full potential! Alexandre Daigle had 137 pts in only 53 games in the Q. We all know what happened to him. He never reached his full potential! I'm not trying to diss Crosby, all I'm saying is that we won't know how good Crosby will be in the NHL, until he actually is in the NHL!! I hope he does really well, and maybe leads Canada to a Gold medal in the Olympics someday! Maybe he'll win an Art Ross, or even better a Stanley Cup!! Ofcourse, he may wind up like Wickenheiser or Daigle! If you don't think that it is possible, then you aren't being realistic. Be patient! Wait and see! It's a good 2 years away!

#37-#93-#27*

Leafsfan20 said:
For the record, Doug Wickenheiser had 170 pit in 71 games in the WHL. He was chosen first overall and had a season high 55 points once! He never met his full potential! Alexandre Daigle had 137 pts in only 53 games in the Q. We all know what happened to him. He never reached his full potential! I'm not trying to diss Crosby, all I'm saying is that we won't know how good Crosby will be in the NHL, until he actually is in the NHL!! I hope he does really well, and maybe leads Canada to a Gold medal in the Olympics someday! Maybe he'll win an Art Ross, or even better a Stanley Cup!! Ofcourse, he may wind up like Wickenheiser or Daigle! If you don't think that it is possible, then you aren't being realistic. Be patient! Wait and see! It's a good 2 years away!
Does Daigle NOT have the talent though?

I think it's pretty much common knowledge the only thing holding Daigle back was his head and from all accounts Sidney does not have the same attitude.

btw those were Daigle's numbers as a 18 year old, Crosby is only 16 and is putting up comperable production.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
mariano said:

But Crosby has more pression right now than Ovechkin will ever have..

And Crosby is learning from that.....

You can't buy how to deal with the pressure, for every other things, there is Mastercard..

Dr_Chimera*

SpezNc said:
But Crosby has more pression right now than Ovechkin will ever have..

And Crosby is learning from that.....

You can't buy how to deal with the pressure, for every other things, there is Mastercard..

Definition of pressure: playing on a senior National team with older men and trying not to look out of place as a teenager.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Dr_Chimera said:
Definition of pressure: playing on a senior National team with older men and trying not to look out of place as a teenager.

Actually, a better definition of pressure would be: The eyes of a nation are on you. Crosby may or may not have that and pressure is very subjective and quite relative. What may be pressure to someone is a comfort zone to others.

Ovechkin might not see it as pressure. He might see it as a chance to shine. Whereas some players might look at the players around them and realize that they grew up watching the players and feel serious pressure, Alexandre might see it as his big break. The chance to show the world he is the next hockey prodigy.

Dr_Chimera*

SmokeyClause said:
Actually, a better definition of pressure would be: The eyes of a nation are on you. .

Well, that applies to both players. The eyes of a nation are on Crosby too - he's been on Sportsnet.

My point was to distinguish between Ovechkin's pressure and Crosby's pressure - while both players experience the pressure of being watched by thousands of fans, only one is going through an "age shock", if you will. As an analogy, think of a genius elementary school kid going to college to study as a peer among college students. That is a different kind of pressure.

But you're right in a sense that Ovechkin is probably doing this well because he's a kid who is simply enjoying himself. Crosby as well. At this age, they're probably not experiencing pressure the way older people see it.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
SmokeyClause said:
Actually, a better definition of pressure would be: The eyes of a nation are on you. Crosby may or may not have that and pressure is very subjective and quite relative. What may be pressure to someone is a comfort zone to others.

Ovechkin might not see it as pressure. He might see it as a chance to shine. Whereas some players might look at the players around them and realize that they grew up watching the players and feel serious pressure, Alexandre might see it as his big break. The chance to show the world he is the next hockey prodigy.

Crosby has already the pressure of all a nation...

Right now, if he got just an assist in a QMJHL game.. Somes people will call him "a bust"...

at 16 yr old, he is the #1 attraction in the LHJMQ...

He is way dominant.. Crosby score his 17 goal with 18 sec left in the game. Right now the two team are in overtime..

Dutchy

Aug 16, 2003
Montréal, Québec, Ca
SpezNc said:
Crosby has already the pressure of all a nation...

Right now, if he got just an assist in a QMJHL game.. Somes people will call him "a bust"...

at 16 yr old, he is the #1 attraction in the LHJMQ...

He is way dominant.. Crosby score his 17 goal with 18 sec left in the game. Right now the two team are in overtime..
Plus, he has sold-out every arena he played in since the start of the season.

Talk about pressure!

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Ovechkin.

You can use the argument about pressure and playing well under it for almost any highly touted prospect (or any prospect for that matter).

Ovechkin is older and has played more, and at this point is more developed and is the more complete player.

Regardless of what anyone says.

If I had to pick today, it's Ovechkin easily. We won't know how Crosby develops until he does. He might be the better player in the longrun, Ovechkin might, or they might both be busts. We won't know. At this point, though, Ovechkin is the wiser choice, and no one can feasably argue otherwise.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
MrKnowNothing said:
Ovechkin.

You can use the argument about pressure and playing well under it for almost any highly touted prospect (or any prospect for that matter).

Ovechkin is older and has played more, and at this point is more developed and is the more complete player.

Regardless of what anyone says.

If I had to pick today, it's Ovechkin easily. We won't know how Crosby develops until he does. He might be the better player in the longrun, Ovechkin might, or they might both be busts. We won't know. At this point, though, Ovechkin is the wiser choice, and no one can feasably argue otherwise.

If I understand, never we should prefer a guy in major junior cause he didn't with men regardless of his talent and habilities..

I live in Montreal.. But I going to write sentence that almost every oceanic fan said.. "When you'll see him (Crosby) in real action, you'll understand"

I have no clue but my feeling is that between all gm in the NHL it's fifty fifty between Ovechkin and Crosby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->