Ovechkin milestone thread - 850 and Beyond!

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
This just in, 38 year old is no longer a top 10 player in the NHL.
I totally agree and think Ovechkin had done just fine this year.....looked hard to watch at times earlier in the year and perhaps in the playoffs, but looked fine considering stage of career.

My comment was related to the notion that his team is absolutely terrible and he put them on his back and dragged them to the playoffs.

Reactions: wetcoast

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I totally agree and think Ovechkin had done just fine this year.....looked hard to watch at times earlier in the year and perhaps in the playoffs, but looked fine considering stage of career.

My comment was related to the notion that his team is absolutely terrible and he put them on his back and dragged them to the playoffs.

Ovechkin and Strome pretty much did.
The team scored 220 goals. Without those 2 the Caps would resemble San Jose with better defense.
And it's not like the Caps were anything special defensively either.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's not a huge number at all. He didn't score a third of their goals, he had points on 29% of the team's goals. In comparison, if you looked at the leading scorers for each team (even though Ovechkin wasn't one) and sorted by who factored into the most goals as a percentage of team goals, Ovechkin would be 22nd out of 32 teams.

Top 10:

1 - Kucherov - 49%
2 - MacKinnon - 46%
3 - McDavid - 45%
4 - Panarin - 43%
5 - Pastrnak - 41%
6 - Kaprizov - 38%
7 - Miller - 37%
8 - Crosby - 37%
9 - Thomas - 36%
10 - Matthews - 35%

Bedard, even though he missed 14 games, was at 34%.
Kucherov did not score half of TB’s goals. Re-do it with goals scored man. Matthews is around 22-23 percent.

Edit: You gave me the 29 percent, I’m assuming that was points? I’m not going to check, I’ll take your word for it. Regardless 30 percent is still pretty damn important. No it’s not 50, but it’s still a third of the offense. They don’t make it without him.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
guys didnt even bother trying this year in the playoffs. not sure how anyone ever puts him above Crosby when he literally helped the other team more than his own this year

I understand he's old but he can atleast put his stick on the ice and try

its just so obvious that he didnt care about the playoffs and his only remaining goal is beating the record.
New York is the best team in the league and Washington is the worst club in the playoffs.

Yeah, he didn’t care…

Reactions: Randyne and barbu

Randyne

May 20, 2012
guys didnt even bother trying this year in the playoffs. not sure how anyone ever puts him above Crosby when he literally helped the other team more than his own this year
By running away from minuses to keep his precious pluses Sid literally kicked his team out from the PO. His fans are blind, but his teammates know this and play better and inspired w/o Sid.

download-mm.png
Скачать видео
download-mm-settings.png
download-mm-close.png

download-mm.png
Скачать видео
download-mm-settings.png
download-mm-close.png

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
how else could you explain him not trying at all? he could atleast keep his stick on the ice in the defensive zone. or skate. it really looked like he just really didnt care
I disagree with the "he didn't care" part of it.

It was pretty clear from watching him play through the entire season that he is old and a liability 5 on 5 out there and the intensity picks up in the playoffs and an older slower player can't ramp up what isn't there.

Also the notion that Ovi carried the team in his back or somehow was awesome offensively that a select poster is stating is also far fetched.

At this point he is a 38 year old player with a ton of Mike's who still has very good scoring instincts but the other parts of his game are well below average and he has to be used accordingly.

If the age thing deceases his skills even more the record might take longer than some expected.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Kucherov did not score half of TB’s goals. Re-do it with goals scored man. Matthews is around 22-23 percent.

Edit: You gave me the 29 percent, I’m assuming that was points? I’m not going to check, I’ll take your word for it. Regardless 30 percent is still pretty damn important. No it’s not 50, but it’s still a third of the offense. They don’t make it without him.
Yes, points and no, 29% isn't that significant, especially when playing for a bad team.....Bedard was 34% or something and he missed 14 games. And yes, I know OV is at the end of his career and yes, I know people are saying he should be compared with the top players in the game. My only point was the comment after comment about him dragging the team into the playoffs....that makes it sound like the team totally sucks and he put everyone on his back and dragged them there. If that were the case, he would have been factoring into a lot more than 29% of their goals.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yes, points and no, 29% isn't that significant, especially when playing for a bad team.....Bedard was 34% or something and he missed 14 games. And yes, I know OV is at the end of his career and yes, I know people are saying he should be compared with the top players in the game. My only point was the comment after comment about him dragging the team into the playoffs....that makes it sound like the team totally sucks and he put everyone on his back and dragged them there. If that were the case, he would have been factoring into a lot more than 29% of their goals.
29 percent is great, esp when most of that production is goals.

This was a bad year for Ovechkin. Nobody would argue otherwise but that was due to his shooting percentage.

Once it normalized He cuaght fire and yes he absolutely dragged them to the playoffs. Even in a bad year he was a huge difference maker.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Also the notion that Ovi carried the team in his back or somehow was awesome offensively that a select poster is stating is also far fetched.

I don't think any skater on that roster put the team on fully their back. Lindgren is the biggest reason they made it in.

But effectiveness isn't just about Corsi and possession nerd stats. A player who can be invisible and then just snap two goals in when given space is a great equalizer in many cases. Ovechkin was bad 5 on 5 this year on a roster that was all bad 5 on 5 this year. And thus if you can steal that back on the PP that is valuable.

The other Capitals with bad 5 v 5 numbers can't also put home goals in a flash or go on 50-goal pace streaks.

I think the "is he still valuable" argument is more nuanced than people try to make it. He still provides value but is obviously a very flawed player at this stage of his career. There's a ton of mileage on those legs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad