Ovechkin and Kovalchuk: Shut-Down and Shut-Out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Padawan said:
I think Datsyuk was fairly invisible, surprisingly I might add. Ovechkin seemed to be always there for Team Russia when they made it difficult for Team Finland. I think Ovechkin was the creative force for Team Russia against Team Finland.

No, no, no. Dats did a load of work especially on the PK. I am not sure he was the best, I'd still give the edge to AO, but one of the best for sure.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
Den said:
No, no, no. Dats did a load of work especially on the PK. I am not sure he was the best, I'd still give the edge to AO, but one of the best for sure.
That's your opinion and I respect that. I also just learned that Pavel played with a broken finger. I have to respect that but imo Ovechkin was the better player atleast offensively. Of course my focus was on Team Finland and in my view, Ovechkin stood out the most.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Padawan said:
I think Datsyuk was fairly invisible, surprisingly I might add. Ovechkin seemed to be always there for Team Russia when they made it difficult for Team Finland. I think Ovechkin was the creative force for Team Russia against Team Finland.

Are we talking the whole tournament or the game against Finland? It shouldn't even matter really. Datsyuk was excellent defensively against Finland, killed penalties, and uncharacteristically levelled a Finnish forward comming into the zone with a solid open-ice hit. He was one of the few players, (Kovalev and Afinogenov also come to mind) who had no trouble penetrating the Finnish trap on his own. He was the only one on the first line that passed, and unlike most of the other forwards, did not turn over the puck once. I dunno, the puck seems to be magnetically attached to the tape on his stick, no matter how much pressure Datsyuk is under, he just seemed to make the deke and end up with the puck.

Ovechkin on the other hand could NOT penetrate the Finnish trap at all. For all his attempts at flashiness, he really did not achieve anything at all. Datsyuk was a more valuble asset to the team this game than Ovechkin, as in every other game. For the record, I did not like Datsyuk prior to the comencement of this tournament.

Having watched all the Russia games, this is my ranking of the top10 Russian players:

1. Pavel Datsyuk
2. Evgeni Nabokov
3. Alexander Korolyuk
4. Evgeni Malkin
5. Alexander Ovechkin
6. Danny Markov
7. Maxim Sushinsky
8. Darius Kasparitis
9. Viktor Kozlov
10. A tie between a few guys who were okay.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Slitty said:
1. Pavel Datsyuk
2. Evgeni Nabokov
3. Alexander Korolyuk
4. Evgeni Malkin
5. Alexander Ovechkin
6. Danny Markov
7. Maxim Sushinsky
8. Darius Kasparitis
9. Viktor Kozlov

Here's mine:

1. Naby
2. AO
3. Dats
4. Malkin
5 Kozlov
6. A. Markov
7. Su
8. Kaspar
9. Kovalev
10. Tyutin

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
i'd rank the forwards:
datsyuk
malkin

ovechkin
korolyuk/kovalev
sushinsky/kozlov
kharitonov/yashin

kovalchuk
frolov--didn't get to play.

last...afinogenov

D:
2 markovs

kasparaitis
volchenkov
tyutin
gonchar
vishnevski/zhukov

nabokov was excellent.

i think AO was better than datsyuk vs finns, but certainly not overall.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Prolly the only one (russian fan) not surprised to see this happen...

too much snipers, not enough passers...

lot a finnish players battle with Kovy, Jagr and Ovy for the Richard?

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Slitty and Den...

PLEASE... for the love of god (Malkechkin).. tell me WHY is Sushinsky on your list... If I had the equipment, I would make a montage of his performance in this tournament... god this guy was HORRIBLE!!!!! :cry:

The worst player BY FAR.

Ovechkin
Datsyuk
Nabokov
Malkin
Kozlov
A.Markov (3 last games)
Kasparaitis
Kovalev
D. Markov
Frolov
Korolyuk

Last edited:

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Slick Nick said:
Slitty and Den...

PLEASE... for the love of god (Malkechkin).. tell me WHY is Sushinsky on your list... If I had the equipment, I would make a montage of his performance in this tournament... god this guy was HORRIBLE!!!!! :cry:

The worst player BY FAR.
Tell us why.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Slick Nick said:
Ovechkin
Datsyuk
Nabokov
Malkin
Kozlov
A.Markov (3 last games)
Kasparaitis
Kovalev
D. Markov
Frolov
Korolyuk
What does Frolov do here ? :eek: Awfull game against Slovakia. Few good shifts against Sweden and injury in game against Kazakhastan with one or two good shifts before ?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Slick Nick said:
Slitty and Den...

The worst player BY FAR.

Ovechkin
Datsyuk
Nabokov
Malkin
Kozlov
A.Markov (3 last games)
Kasparaitis
Kovalev
D. Markov
Frolov
Korolyuk

Russia completly dominated the game. They were the only one attacking from start to finish. And the best players WERE good. But once the Finns scored in the powerplay it was over. They trapped, sit on their advances and won. Hey I know a guy and a team that won more than a few Stanley Cup just by doing this very thing.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Kimota said:
Russia completly dominated the game. They were the only one attacking from start to finish. And the best players WERE good. But once the Finns scored in the powerplay it was over. They trapped, sit on their advances and won. Hey I know a guy and a team that won more than a few Stanley Cup just by doing this very thing.
:confused: finns completely dominated the game.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
nik jr said:
:confused: finns completely dominated the game.

Dominated is a harsh word. Russia probably spent more time in the Finish zone than Finland in the Russian zone, and Russia probably had more time with the puck than Finland. Hell, the Russians were faster than the Finns outhere today. Yet, Finland played much much better starting after they scored the 2nd goal. Before that, I might even give the edge to Russia in terms of controlling the game. Nonetheless, Finland played their game and Russia could not mount anything offensively. Finland did what it had to do and utilized its powerplays and counterattacks.... the shorts were fairly even, no?

hpheikki

Jan 5, 2006
Aki Berg should have pointed his finger towards Kovalchuk, when he took those stupid penalties... And in a post game interview he should have said, that Kovalchuk is taking too many stupid penalties, and that is hurting his team, and he had to be taught a lesson.

Aki Berg >>> Team Russia

hpheikki

Jan 5, 2006
Kimota said:

And the Russians had how many quality scoring chances? Finland totally dominated the game. They outshot them 30-21, hit the post twice and crossbar once.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
hpheikki said:
And the Russians had how many quality scoring chances? Finland totally dominated the game. They outshot them 30-21, hit the post twice and crossbar once.

If you stick to the numbers, fine. But for what i`ve seen they were in the Finns zone most of the game. THEY WERE PLAYING HOCKEY. The Finns just stayed...there. Waiting for their chances. Heck there was one time where they didn`t even attack the whole period but then they go to the Russian zone, Russia takes a penality, Finns scores.

I will also say that the penalities palyed a huge factor. Russia didn`t score with a one-man advantages; Finland did.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
This thread shouldn't be how bad Kovalchuk was.

It should be about the awesomeness of Toni Lydman. :yo:

Marksman

Mar 2, 2003
Visit site
Kimota said:

I think you are misguided just a little. Russia was controlling the puck because finns let them have it, outside their own zone. Having the puck in your own end is meaningless when you need to score goals. When other team controls the flow of the game, can guide your advances and take a puck away from your players soon after they cross the bluelines, how can you say Russia was dominating anything in this game?

hpheikki

Jan 5, 2006
Marksman2 said:
I think you are misguided just a little. Russia was controlling the puck because finns let them have it, outside their own zone. Having the puck in your own end is meaningless when you need to score goals. When other team controls the flow of the game, can guide your advances and take a puck away from your players soon after they cross the bluelines, how can you say Russia was dominating anything in this game?
:clap:

Flonaldo

Kimota said:
If you stick to the numbers, fine. But for what i`ve seen they were in the Finns zone most of the game. THEY WERE PLAYING HOCKEY. The Finns just stayed...there. Waiting for their chances. Heck there was one time where they didn`t even attack the whole period but then they go to the Russian zone, Russia takes a penality, Finns scores.
So hockey is about keeping the puck down low, without any attempt to score? Yeah sure, Russia had the puck but hockey is about creating scoring chances and capitalizing on them. Or did Finland trap in their own end as well...

Every time Finland had the puck they either tried to score or changed lines. Why didn't Russia try to score when a) they had the puck and b) had skill and speed? Or maybe the Finnish D had something to do with that.

Keeping puck possession is less "attacking" than quick shots from the point, odd-man rushes etc. etc. Russia didn't attack at all. They kept the puck and tried selfish individual efforts. The 4-0-score clearly told the story and corresponded with scoring chances.

This a team game.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Slitty said:
Having watched all the Russia games, this is my ranking of the top10 Russian players:

1. Pavel Datsyuk
2. Evgeni Nabokov
3. Alexander Korolyuk
4. Evgeni Malkin
5. Alexander Ovechkin
6. Danny Markov
7. Maxim Sushinsky
8. Darius Kasparitis
9. Viktor Kozlov
I'd agree with that list, except that I'd rank Kozlov higher. Probably around 6th. He was IMO the 4th best forward (behind Datsuyk, Malkin and Ovechkin). Korluyk, though he had some good stretches, should be around 7th or 8th among skaters.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Kimota said:

The Finns totaly controlled this game.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Pathfinder said:
The Finns totaly controlled this game.

Absolutely. Russia had absolutely zero shots from the main scoring area, on equal strength. The way Finland played was probably the best team effort I have ever seen. Russia had absolutely no chance to win the game from start to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->