Ovchekin- Will be a bust!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MephistoIV

Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
Hes coming to america waaaaaay too early. 18?? 19?? Jesus thats too early. Well see another extremely talented russian leave his country too early and be a bust! Just like all the other horrible russians, Kovalchuk, Zherdev, ect!!!

Why cant u people see? Jeez...

st_roland

MephistoIV said:
Hes coming to america waaaaaay too early. 18?? 19?? Jesus thats too early. Well see another extremely talented russian leave his country too early and be a bust! Just like all the other horrible russians, Kovalchuk, Zherdev, ect!!!

Hehe, thats a pretty good Siberian impression.

Moumni_Bachir

Oct 18, 2003
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
MephistoIV said:

Yeah, Kovalchuk is probably the biggest bust since Alexandre Daigle, or Jonathan Aitken...Zherdev is really good I tought before he comes to america that he will not take the physical part of the game but he really proves that he can take checks, and continue playing at the same rythm...

For Ovechkin I don't think he will be a bust, probably the adaptation time he needs to play with Rico Fata!

Daniel_Tkaczuk

May 4, 2003
Downtown Halifax
Visit site
MephistoIV said:

I agree. He's never showed anything against a team from North America, save one game against the USA in Cape Breton during the World Juniors in 2003. I really don't see him being the next Kharlamov or anything (Valeri that is). I also saw a practice during the juniors here in Halifax and his teammates seemed to get on his back a lot. Really, I've never seen him do anything. All the hype seems to be word of mouth.

iamcaper

Daniel_Tkaczuk said:
I agree. He's never showed anything against a team from North America, save one game against the USA in Cape Breton during the World Juniors in 2003. I really don't see him being the next Kharlamov or anything (Valeri that is). I also saw a practice during the juniors here in Halifax and his teammates seemed to get on his back a lot. Really, I've never seen him do anything. All the hype seems to be word of mouth.

He was getting 4th line minutes at the WJC's in Sydney last year so you can't judge him on that. The kid has a huge amount of talent! He may not be the next Kharlamov but that's like saying that Fleury might not be the next Roy. Great talents but big shoes to fill at this point in their careers. Give him some time and he won't disappoint you.

Dr_Chimera*

Daniel_Tkaczuk said:

Here's a hint, Chris. Sarcasm.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Dr_Chimera said:
Here's a hint, Chris. Sarcasm.

Ok guys... Let me see...

I understand since I read the first post at the top of this page that it was Sarcasm!!!

But why? Who are you teesing? Never eard anything about Ovechkin beeing a bust before...

BJ21

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
BlackJack21 said:
Ok guys... Let me see...

I understand since I read the first post at the top of this page that it was Sarcasm!!!

But why? Who are you teesing? Never eard anything about Ovechkin beeing a bust before...

BJ21

Ok... No problem I undestand...

Just read Siberian's post about Chistov, Svitov and other talented russian prospects.

BTW guys he's not so far to have a case... he's just exagerating.

BJ21

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i really think it may be too young for a guy like him to come over. kovalchuck doesnt change anything...he is the exception, not the rule. too many guys have been brought over too soon and thrown in the spotlight too young. these last few years have seen way more guys making an impact at 18 or 19 (kovy, nash)- that shouldnt raise the expectations of an 18 year old though. the sedins are a pretty good example of what im talking about, i still think they can be great players-but everyone wants to write them off as busts cause they havent produced yet. i dont assume for a second that ovechkin will have a kovy, or a nash kind of output in his first 4-5 years, and that doesnt devalue him at all to me, either.

Daniel_Tkaczuk

May 4, 2003
Downtown Halifax
Visit site
bleedgreen said:
i really think it may be too young for a guy like him to come over. kovalchuck doesnt change anything...he is the exception, not the rule. too many guys have been brought over too soon and thrown in the spotlight too young. these last few years have seen way more guys making an impact at 18 or 19 (kovy, nash)- that shouldnt raise the expectations of an 18 year old though. the sedins are a pretty good example of what im talking about, i still think they can be great players-but everyone wants to write them off as busts cause they havent produced yet. i dont assume for a second that ovechkin will have a kovy, or a nash kind of output in his first 4-5 years, and that doesnt devalue him at all to me, either.

I don't disagree with you there. He will go first overall, and I have no reason to believe he doesn't have the tools. It's just he's never shown they suit a North American style of game I guess... he's never played well in a physical environment. I don't know, I've just never seen him play well.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
bleedgreen said:

Let me ezplain you the whole thing a little bit.
The thread was started by a Columbus groupie in anger to my message that Zherdev came to NHL way too early. He wants to draw a parallel between Ovechkin and Zherdev. I do not think he has even seen Ovechkin play, so he just has really no idea about Ovechkin. This guy is just a flamer....

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Re: Ovechkin- Will be a bust!

If he is a bust, I hope he looks like this...

uaim-bust-beethoven.gif

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
MephistoIV said:

and your a joke... nuff said :teach:

Whinks

Jul 3, 2003
Visit site
MephistoIV said:

I agree that Ovchekin will be a bust. But will Ovechkin?

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
iamcaper said:
He was getting 4th line minutes at the WJC's in Sydney last year so you can't judge him on that.

That's bull! He was on the 1st line and did just fine... something like 6 goals in 7 games...

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
MephistoIV said:

If I could say what I want to say right now, i would be banned by the commish.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Siberian said:
Let me ezplain you the whole thing a little bit.
The thread was started by a Columbus groupie in anger to my message that Zherdev came to NHL way too early. He wants to draw a parallel between Ovechkin and Zherdev. I do not think he has even seen Ovechkin play, so he just has really no idea about Ovechkin. This guy is just a flamer....
i agree with you that zherdev came over too early, whether he is producing or not. the whole situation is going to get uglier with the meetings theyre about to have on his case. what happens if the russian army wins? can they send him back....or is it a financial penalty? there is no comparison to ovechkin - for no other reason that each player has his own adaptation to the nhl, and almost all of them are better off not being rushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad